Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere - as it was

Poster: A snowHead
I was looking back through some old photos the other day and thought these pics of Val d'Isere from when we were there in 1985/6 might be of interest. It all looks a bit different now.

This was La Daille when there weren't any of the apartment blocks, just a little wooden hut with a blazing log fire and a bar and a slightly grumpy French lady who ran the place. Many an apres ski hour was spent in there Very Happy

Some things don't change very much though, the Aiguille Percée doesn't look any different, and I think this cable car is still the same.

The run down to Breviere might be quite different now - I haven't done it since back then
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You were there before the big redevelopment prior to the 1992 games. Building work at la Daille started at the end of the 1960s. Cogedim, a big French builder, put up some apartments only to realise that they were in an avalanche zone and that the local mayor had been handing out planning permits without taking into account the risks. It cost Cogedim may millions to secure the slopes above their apartments so they could sell them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a lot more snow on the face of the glaicer/cliff face just to the left and up from the cable car than there is these days!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ, ..... you must have been just a very young teenager then ..... Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, yes the 92 games made a huge difference, especially to the roads. It once took us nearly 10 hours to get back to Geneva airport. JQ, me and dbiggins were very close to buying an apartment in La Daille then - for 27,000 pounds - if only we had. BernardC, you're an Irish charmer for sure Blush
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RachelQ, I remember that fire and that grump french lady at La Daille, except I remember it as being a stone hut! Lots of vin chaud imbibed there. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's the Sache run down to Brevieres, isn't it! I did it just the other week - it still looks the same... snowHead

Oh, & the Aiguille Percee is still blessed by the same chairlift, I should think... does a kind of fairground-horse up-&-down peformance half way up, which wasn't entirely enjoyable!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went there in '87 and I didn't recognise it when I went back for the Olympics in '92...!! God knows what it looks like know and I haven't been tempted to find out
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think thats the same angle as the above shot, taken in jan 06
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
element, thanks I'll stand by my previuous ascertion that there's a lot less glaciation on the face now than then!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These, of course, were the days of rear enrty boots, Elho suits, Nevica technicolour jackets, the Ali Ross teaching craze, moon boots, big fat ski brochures selling holidays to resorts with an altitude of 100m, the monoski, 2m skis, Bladon Lines chalets....ah those were the days!!!

Anyhow, I was actually in Val D'Isere that season-Feb 86 if I recall staying in an apartment that would contravene human rights laws these days!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why, were you torturing people in there?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, it was torturing us. Imagine having the presence of mind, after mind numbing amounts of alcohol, to ensure the hot plate wasn't switched on when having to shimmy up to a bunk bed, ensuring in the morning you didn't sit up in case you crashed your head on the ceiling?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevin mcclean, Careful you are dissing the golden years of The Abominable snowHeads skiing career.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone remember "Playbach", the hot nite spot in those days?
ski holidays
Martin Bell, was that the place with a grand piano, just up the road from the Kandahar? If it was, we went in there a couple of times. We were mostly found in Dicks T-Bar.
latest report
Martin-I do remember it for being thrown out, unfortunately. No matter-we went to Tignes the following night, stormed a Bladon Lines chalet and got ejected out of that.

If I'm right, Mr Bell came sixth in the Criterium race in the December of 1986 which was followed by a smashed up ski towards the finishing line of the Val Gardena race a week or so later when he was on for a top 4.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy