Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Choice - Alpes d'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Some friends have been looking at a chalet in Alpe d'Huez for April and suggested that we join them. Sounds good in principle but I've only ever done DIY or used very small independant companies in the past and never tried a package with a main tour operator before.

What could go wrong with a First Choice chalet holiday?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro wrote:

It could turn out to be a wooden hut in the middle of a field Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The food could be awful ,and the wine undrinkable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, and i thought you were going to say...

Quote:

You could end up sharing it with Zorro.

(thought I'd best say that before anyone else does Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, is that something they are renowned for?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, I'm not really sure,honestly. I'd do a Google search on the chalet too. I've only been on pne Crystal, and one Skiworld chalet holiday so I@m no expert, and although the food was good on both occasions, the wine was on the rough side. If there is an option for you all to upgrade the catering package, I would take it. The food budget they have is tiny.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro,

It has a much chance of success as any holiday. If the people are fun and the hosts make an effort you'll have a great time.
You'll do all the research about location and stuff so it is only the food and hosting that can surprise you. If the deal is attactive mostly because it is cheap you may be able to offset this but adding to the food allowance. Chalet stuff might be a bit jaded by the end of the season, you could do well to give them a few incentives. If you are really worried then do your own thing and meet your friends there but you may lose things like child-sitting duties that may be shared around the chalet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, Your flight will be delayed for certain..oh and if you book thinking you are leaving at a decent hour like 10am then 6 weeks before they will write to you and inform you that it has changed to 5.30am Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First choice is last choice for me. when we used them the hotel was awful, the food was worse, the description was accurate but uselss (ski bus passes right outside the door - well it did, but it didn't stop) and the customer service was useless. I'll never use them again.
Crystal on the other hand have been excellent
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, the food budget looks tiny to you because a) you aren't catering a chalet and b) you aren't buying wholesale from companies who supply your programme of 50 chalets and half a dozen hotels.

The wine, on the other hand, will certainly be grim. Chalet wine is always grim.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, I believe that in the trade First Choice = last resort Toofy Grin A search on Natives may turn up some up interesting comments on First Choice and the way the company operates Confused That said we once used them for flight only in the Summer and had no problem's.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, no, that's just amongst first-time seasonnaires who think they're being witty. I have worked for First Choice, and found it a perfectly acceptable experience. I wouldn't work for them again, but that's because they've been taken over by TUI, which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt,
Quote:

Crystal on the other hand have been excellent

Ironic isn't it, our 2nd worst catered chalet experience was with Crystal Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to all Very Happy . Well the deed is done, so that is one trip organised for next year. Thanks again for your inside knowledge Lizzard,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, it was chalet staff who told me their catering budget was tiny. It wasn't really meant to be a criticism. I had perfectly acceptable cooking on both occasions, paying for standard cooking, but it was obviously done on a low budget. I did unintentionally go on a First Choice ski holiday. They had taken over the original tour op. However, the hotel itslef had been taken over by Club Med/CLub Aquarius and was an improvement on our previous visit.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, maybe you should have asked Lizzard who she'd be working for next season? wink
ski holidays
Last time we went to Alpe D'huez with a TO we spent 3.5 hours sitting on the transfer bus at airport whilst they waited for another plane from UK Evil or Very Mad
Never again!
ski holidays
provenjohn, A private transfer is well worth it's money in my experience, nothing better than walking straight out of the airport into a minibus and then being taken straight to your accomodation.
snow report
I have only been on one First Choice holidays and it was excellent.

It cost me £450.00 and included:

Full Board
Lift Pass
Ski Hire
Ski Tuition
Free Beer and wine
Flights and transfers from Belfast via Lyon

It was to the small but delightful village of Crest Voland and was Mrs JBs first ski trip.

A truly excellent week. There was even a school group from the North East and we had the best craic with both the kids and teachers. The teachers weren't on the All Inclusive deal, so we ordered the beer for them.
snow report
johnboy, sounds excellent!!! Very Happy
snow report
johnboy, ah, the Bartavelles in Crusty Vol-au-Vent! I managed it for a while one summer - very nice.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Lizzard,

Creat Voland and The Bartavelles is actually where I learned to ski with my school back in 1992, so I have a special fondness of the place. Very cosy.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, I went on a first choice chalet holiday last season and the food was absolutely amazing, however, that's no use to anyone as it basically comes down to how good the cook is. So in answer to your question what could go wrong it's anywhere from nothing to everything wink useful eh?
latest report
Ray Zorro, What's the name of the chalet that your staying in?
snow conditions
Lizzard, johnboy, The Bartavelles was up for sale last season.
ski holidays
I've been with First Choice a couple of times and found them fine - decent reps and reasonable for the price accomodation (including an apt in alpe d huez but many years ago). They are actually my first choice of the big names, mainly for great in flight food and comfort - more leg room than any of the other ime.

Crystal on the other hand have not impressed but I've only been with them once - no reps on the coaches and bad ones outweighed the good in resort too. Handily our chalet staff were fab and it snowed continuously which made up for it all.

aj xx
ski holidays
katski, it is Pere Josef 1 or 2

In fact I have seen other companies advertising them and in the end our friends booked through Iglu. So I'm not really sure exactly what the set up is there Confused
snow report
Ray Zorro, Pere Josef 1 & 2 are about 30 metres or so from the bottom station of the bucket lift through town and just across the road from a chair lift that will take you across town to the Bergers lifts. The run through town will drop you off about 20 or 30 metres from your front door.

As I recall these are two chalets with an interconnecting door. If you book both chalets the door is opened, if they are booked sepaerately then it stays locked.

I've been with First Choice a couple of times, including to a chalet in ADH just along the road from where you will be. Generally thought they have been OK, but I guess a lot of that rests with the staff they have employed that year - just as with pretty much any TO.

We flew into Grenoble for ADH, and managed to be in resort just after lunchtime - great for a 1/2 day of skiing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jmdohanlon, thanks for that. Sounds good Very Happy .

We chose early flights to Grenoble for the same reason as you. Just hope we won't be kept hanging around at the airport for 6 other flights to land rolling eyes
snow report
IIRC it was a case of us (Manchester) and one other plane (Gatwick?) that arrived just before us and then straight off to the relevant resort.

Put it like this, I collected my bag and skis, went through customes and headed off to the cash machine in the arrivals hall for some Euros. That minor detour (less than 5 minutes) made me the last on the coach!
snow conditions
I just don't understand why on earth anyone uses tour operators these days when you can sort everything yourself to suit yourself and no hanging around etc etc......
snow report
northantsred, someone to complain to when you don't like it; someone to take responsibility for sorting it out when things go wrong; laziness.
snow conditions
northantsred, because its cheaper sometimes especially if you live up north with kids who you would have to kill on a 17 hour car journey Smile

we've paid £1080 for 2 adults and 2 kids to go to a catered chalet in ADH with crystal in January. theres no way i could beat that doing it myself ( based on the fact i wanted to go to ADH )
snow conditions
Lizzard, has a good point to , if i book it all I get the blame if anything goes wrong.

now who are you working for next year lizzard Laughing
ski holidays
Also this, from the Travelmole website:

"Although more than nine in ten (92%) of almost 5,000 holiday consumers questioned by the authority considered holiday financial protection to be important, over a third (35%) incorrectly believed that a DIY holiday they put together themselves would be protected should their airline, hotel or car hire company cease trading.

As result, the CAA urged consumers to check that their summer air holidays are financially protected.

Flights and accommodation booked separately as part of a DIY break are unconnected.

If an airline or accommodation provider ceases trading before consumers travel, holidaymakers could be forced to buy alternative, often more expensive, flights or accommodation, the CAA said.

If travellers cannot purchase new flights, they may be unable to claim back money already paid for the unused components of the holiday, such as hotels and car hire.

Consumers could even run the risk of being stranded abroad if their airline went bankrupt during their break, the authority added."

Curtains, I work for a schools op - unless you don't mind sharing your hotel with a bunch of teenagers, I wouldn't bother. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, my two are 6 and 9 i never want them top become teenagers Laughing

good skiers yes, brats no
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, First Choice run the chalets and Iglu are acting as an agent to sell them. They are well located chalets giving you easy access to the bucket lifts or the cross town chair lifts. Whilst I wouldn't describe them as luxurious they are nice chalets. Can't really comment on the First Choice level of service/food as I've not been on one of their holidays. I think as with many of the large operators it is the luck of the draw really - it boils down to the quality of your particular chalet staff. You will be given the basic chalet package which is probably good value for the price that you are paying. wink
ski holidays
Curtains, my point was made with no thought to expense, although obviously it is a factor, but to convenience and also if you are sorting your own acoomodation then you are making these decisions after research and therefore know more or less what to expect.

Even with children ( I have three of my own ) it can be done, but not at those figure you have quoted, that is stunningly good value by the sounds of it.
snow conditions
Curtains,

PS is that price for flights too?
ski holidays
northantsred, yes flights from manchester transfers and a catered chalet with crystal Very Happy

i don't know who good it will be as it's very small i.e 3 bedrooms but as it only cost £1080 I can't complain the breakdown included 1 free child and the 2nd at £99.

there was only one room for 4 the others were for 2 and 3 , it has private shower etc but no private bath . there was space for the following couple of weeks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy