Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VAL THORENS La Face Ouest - Aiguille de Peclet 3561m

Poster: A snowHead
Most who have been to the 2007 EoSB at Val Thorens will know that group of snowheads, with Mountain Tracks guide Nick Parks, climbed to the summit of Aiguille de Peclet 3561m, on April 24th and skied down the West face.

I was a Very Happy bunny to be in the company of Yoda, GrahamL, Mr HH, in garbure we trust and of course guide extraordinaire Nick Parks . It was an absolute peach of an idea by Admin to include a Mountain Guide in this years festivities and I hope that it will remain a both firm fixture and also that many more snowHeads snowHead will enjoy these great trips . Having been forced to ski over 90 days this season and having had some truly brilliant days, I have rated this trip Number 6, in the seasons 'Absolute Top-Ten'.

The guides in Val Thorens reckon the West Face of Peclet to be the best descent in the area. This huge slope descends from the summit at 3561m, the highest in the Trois Valees & I for one, was certainly viewing it with great lust Toofy Grin earlier in the week ...! When Nick said we're 'green-to-go' for Tuesday 24th, one was almost unable to contain oneself...."Permission to guffaw, holler loudly, and shout Hurray ....sir....!"

I thought I would burst with excitement, straining against the safety bar, whilst nearing the top of the Col chairlift - I was trying to urge the arthritic chair to greater efforts, but to no avail - Col chairlift has but two speeds - Dead Slow & Stop. I thought I would do a 'Kramer' on the spot.

After eventually reaching the top of Col Chairlift Toofy Grin we dropped down to the left, to the Col itself, past the cafe and took off our skis. Graham, Mr HH and in garbure we trust hiked, while Nick, Yoda and I skinned up the Chaviere glacier, heading due North while making a small detour to the right, to avoid some crevasses and to the right of the rocky spur adjacent to the Roc des Saints. We ascended on the long rising, false-flat, skirting the base of the rocky ridge toward the small depression on the ridge, running from Col de Gebroulaz to Aiguille de Peclet. Now we climb ........ Toofy Grin ....

We climbed safely and followed the ridge to the left, which was a fairly exposed route, overhanging the glacier of Gebroulaz .....

and heading to the summit .......

There really wasn't a great deal of room, but what a view ....

in garbure we trust, Yoda and I followed the ridge for several metres to a small, short couloir which enabled us to ski on to the West Face, via an 'exposed' traverse ... (It was here the 'Clencher' muscle group was most exercised ... Toofy Grin - for any medically minded snowHead 's and of course world anatomical science , I discovered this entirely new grouping of buttock muscles earlier this season on the Bellecote Cairn Couloir.) Nick, GrahamL and Mr HH, roped down on the right over some tricky ground.

.... the descent commenced on a 35 degree slope for about 200m, then past the rock knoll on a wide left turn, steepening to 45 degrees for about 100m. It was BRILLIANT .... !

.....it was the Ariston of slopes ..... it went ON ...... and ON ....... and ON ...... Toofy Grin

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead 's

We encountered fairly hard conditions on the glacier for the first few hundred metres, but then alternated between powder & spring snow delights, past the spectacular seracs & crevasses, inscribing our graceful and vain signature turns on the snow ......

until we reached the Goitschel piste and returned to earth.....

...... been there - done that ......

..... and then .....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It really was a brilliant day. The company made it more so - Yoda, GrahamL, Mr HH, in garbure we trust & Nick the 'one-liners' made me laugh so much, at times I nearly cried. Nicks Parks humour does improve, .... slightly, at altitude! (Sadly decreased again at resort level). The feelings of the day are hard to convey - I fill up with excitement even thinking about days like this - the only thing that remotely comes close are memories of Christmas Mornings at age about 6, (5 3/4 years ago) .... I hope that all the snowHeads snowHead that saw Nicks slideshow that same evening will have gotten some feeling of just how great the day was .... and I hope you will give it a go soon.

........ these are just my few thoughts ... hopefully some of the other 'Heap Big Grin' team will add their memories....

...some of these photos compliments of Yodas great camera action ....

.... and finally ..... where we've been .....

...Edited to clarify that Graham is now GrahamL and not the Admin Graham

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-05-07 20:42; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great report.

How much climbing skill is involved on these jaunts?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC,
Quote:

I have rated this trip Number 6, in the seasons 'Absolute Top-Ten'.

do tell....the other 9?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
BernardC,

Right, that's it, I've had enough of these top notch t/r's. I am officially definitely going to do a tour or 2 next spring.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC, Great story and pics - and what a hat!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, great report and photos, is getting me excited about the possibility of trying something like that next season, well done....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC,

Great report..see you next year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bernardC, wow, impressed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BernardC, I couldn't do it, but it's great to read about it and see your pictures. Your excitement and enjoyment leaps off the screen. Great. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC, brilliant - how much height did you have to climb - and more importantly what did you dod with Admin (Graham) at the ridge he seems to disappear from the story!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevew, admin went on the next day's outing (to the Gebroulaz glacier, which involved ascending the other col as these folks are shown doing here ).

Nick reckoned we climbed about 450 m vertical, so only a short stroll really wink

- and thanks for putting the case for the defence so eloquently Bernard Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 11-05-07 20:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, Yoda, looks a nice little jaunt. And I missed all that for a middling position in a race on 100m of Dendix - what on earth was I thinking of rolling eyes Sad .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

BernardC, Quote:

I have rated this trip Number 6, in the seasons 'Absolute Top-Ten'.

do tell....the other 9?

...... later episodes..... patience.... Toofy Grin

..... but there was one day in La Grave, when there was 10 metres of new powder ...! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, great report - made me smile so I can imagine the big grins of those involved.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BernardC, Does le Friolin feature in your top 10?
ski holidays
BernardC, Can you list your top 10 please? Would love to know.....
latest report
Sorry about the delay .... I will do a Top 10 List ...I promise....! I have received a few PM's on the matter - it's in my in-tray... Toofy Grin

After breaking her arm in January, mobility has now returned to Mrs BernardC's arm, to the extent that the 'Jobs-to-do' list has increased to 1006 - (I am currently on job no. 327...). This reflects possibly some of the negative aspects of being able to ski throughout the Winter season. I have calculated break-even at Job No. 486 ..... i.e that is the point where I have 'paid' for skiing 2006/2007. The remaining jobs are to earn 'credit' for the 2007/2008 season ..... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
BernardC wrote:
Sorry about the delay .... I will do a Top 10 List ...I promise....! I have received a few PM's on the matter - it's in my in-tray... Toofy Grin

After breaking her arm in January, mobility has now returned to Mrs BernardC's arm, to the extent that the 'Jobs-to-do' list has increased to 1006 - (I am currently on job no. 327...). This reflects possibly some of the negative aspects of being able to ski throughout the Winter season. I have calculated break-even at Job No. 486 ..... i.e that is the point where I have 'paid' for skiing 2006/2007. The remaining jobs are to earn 'credit' for the 2007/2008 season ..... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

You may think that. But does Mrs C? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
W..............ooooooooooooo.............oooooooooo...........tttttt

Magical report dudes!
snow conditions
BernardC, great report.

Was Rob Garbure as annoyingly good at going up hills as we was at coming down them ? And well done to Yoda and Mr HH for tramping up that big hill.
ski holidays
BernardC, Mr HH is still going on about how much he loved the trip.....he also loved your report, so much so that it's been printed out and taken to work to show round along with Yoda's photos! I'll make a snowHead of him yet......
snow conditions
This trip was one of the reasons that has motivated me to lose weight and get fit. I would have loved to have done it, but felt that my fitness just wasn't good enough for the climb up. Hopefully next year and 20kg lighter I should be able to do it.
snow report
was trying to urge the arthritic chair to greater efforts, but to no avail - Col chairlift has but two speeds

Yep i reckon its faster to climb that slope rather than wait on the Col chairlift
latest report
Tom Lowe, the locals call the two chairs going up to the Peclet the "Fridge" and the "Freezer" (Col) cause they are so slow....
snow conditions
Kramer, ....but I thought you were a mountain biker now?? Seriously, do it....Mr HH will always remember the experience as one of the high points (in fact the highest I'd guess) of his skiing adventures so far...he hasn't grown the gnarly dude beard yet though....
snow report
Wish I'd been there!
It's a descent I've meant to do for a while but it's never happened (yet).
Great report and photos.
snow report
Great report & pics.
Would have liked to have joined you.
latest report
Nickski, yes, garbure was annoyingly fast at going up as well as down rolling eyes But then, he's not quite 900 years old and does live in the mountains.... wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know if Bernard saw this but here is his GPS data overlaid onto Google Earth

http://skirando.com/images/google-earth/Val-Thorens.kmz

You need to install the Google Earth application to view this file type.
snow report
Nice one davidof Very Happy Looks like the Peclet and the next day's Gebroulaz trip are there, if anyone doesn't realise that wink
snow report
Yoda wrote:
Nice one davidof Very Happy Looks like the Peclet and the next day's Gebroulaz trip are there, if anyone doesn't realise that wink

Well it's my Gebroulaz trip from 2000 but I think it follows the same route as you took. I will put up the other routes Bernard sent.
snow conditions
aha, thought it looked a bit different - but put that down to "St" Bernard's superhuman dash to catch the last lift out of Mottaret Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy