Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black and Age Power. 75 Year Old Skis to North Pole

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon,element, Is 'coloured' not tainted, as well, by the use of the word in apartheid South Africa?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where's David Goldsmith when you need him eh?

Saw this thread earlier but couldn't decide how to respond or work out quite what was getting me. I think I'm troubled by Achilles' title and opening remarks. I mean what relevance is skin colour here and why is the author asking for advice on the subject? If she'd had one leg I'd understand a title of "One-legged 75-year-old woman etc" but the shade is irrelevant. If she'd been Japanese it might have been "One-legged 75-year-old Japanese woman etc" as opposed to "One-legged 75-year-old sort-of-yellow woman etc". It must be a generational thing... the older folks in my circle still say "coloured" when referring to anyone who isn't pasty white and generally mistrust them, next generation down are more PC and accepting, I and my peers mixed with a whole heap of creeds and races at school and always will, and my 8-year-old appears not to notice anything about his mates other than their names and whether he likes their company or not.

Remember folks... there's no such thing as being "a little bit racist" and isn't it great that the world's best rapper is white and the world's best golfer is black.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, I agree with all you say, but do think the article implied that she herself was proud of her achievement AS a black woman. I'm minded of Halle Berry's Oscar acceptance speech - she herself brought up the subject of her colour. Oddly enough, though, I've just looked it up and see she used the phrase "woman of color." That was in 2002. So maybe 'coloured' is not as non-PC as I and others thought.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller wrote:
and isn't it great that the world's best rapper is white.

Will Smith?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pistemeister, snoop dog wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to balance things up a bit here's two absolutely true ski stories relating to skin colour...

(1) Mate of mine is a well qualified ski instructor and black - Jamaican by birth. Some of you will know or know of him. About 20 years ago he wrote off to some Austrian ski schools seeking a job for the winter. Fluent in German, good references and right experience and quals, he obviously had everything they would be looking for so he was offered a job. Come December he pitched up in "the not-to-be-mentioned ski resort" and went off to introduce himself to the Chief Instructor... who promptly fell off his bar stool. Cutting a long story short, the village committee decided to convene a special meeting to discuss whether or not he should be allowed to work there! Thankfully, he got support from just enough members to be allowed to teach (imagine how that must have felt!). These days my mate is a sought-out teacher and can laugh about it all.

(2) I was in the Rockies a few years back and it just so happened that The Brotherhood of Skiers had pretty much taken over the resort hotel I was in. I guess there were around 200 black skiers and boarders there and, trust me on this, the partying was off the scale. One late afternoon I (an aforementioned pasty white bloke) found myself in the hot tub with a few dozen of The Brotherhood... it was a laugh (mostly at my expense... white... "Royal" accent... allegedly small todger etc) so I decided to ask an innocent question... "Hey, what do I have to do and where do I apply to join The Brotherhood?"... this was met with an embarrassed silence (far more cringeing than I'd anticipated) until someone offered to give me the details later!

We're all stereotyped by someone.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
Bode Swiller, I agree with all you say, but do think the article implied that she herself was proud of her achievement AS a black woman.

Exactly!

There're no shortage of old women skiers, nor shortage of black skiers either. But how often do you see old, black women skiers on the slope? Reaching the pole is an achievement in its own right. It's that combination that makes it so much more special. If not for the rest of us, it was for her.

That was clear from the article, assuming it's more or less faithful in their quote. When she choose to ski to the pole, instead of say, winning a marathon, it was because NO BLACK WOMEN had done it. It was HER reasoning and motivation. Whether a bunch of non-blacks think whether her skin color is relavent or not, well, is irrelevant. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, "World's best rapper is white"?? S'pose you mean Enema, who is far from being the World's best rapper - he's maybe the most popular amongst the people who buy music because he's a nicely (w)rapped commercially successful white bloke doing what black blokes do.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This all reminds me a bit of Oliver Skeet who is pretty dire at show-jumping yet bacame a minor success due to the novelty value of his skin colour and dreadlocks. Had he been white and with his level of ability he would not have seen an ounce of sponsorship or publicity. So we ended up with the positivie discrimination thing. Now, this could be good if were to open up the sport to people who were perhaps disinterested in it (i.e. generally the black community), but nothing seems to have come of it at all, other than making Oliver a minor celeb for a short period of time.

But then there are people who have real ability - like Lewis Hamilton. Has he got on the F1 podium 3 times in a row because he's black? Is he just a novelty because he's black? Does he get to drive one of the best F1 cars because he's black?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
.........Saw this thread earlier but couldn't decide how to respond or work out quite what was getting me. I think I'm troubled by Achilles' title and opening remarks.....

I can relate to that. Didn't quite know what to make of the original article - but thought it worth discussing. The response in this thread suggests others thought so, too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petemillis, American comedian Chris Rock said it...

"You know the world is off tilt when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are called Bush, Dick and Colon. Need I say more?"

Eminem, at the time, was best selling rapper for sure but I agree, he ain't the best... I am.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are you honestly better than this guy?

http://youtube.com/v/2QaOWuJebQg

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
petemillis, swimming..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iblair, no
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can't have best and rapper in the same sentence. It's the equivalent of having a "wonderful toothache". Rap is for people whose ears stopped developing in the womb. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy