Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roccaraso

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered if any Snowheads had skied Roccaraso or any of the other non alps Italian resorts recently.From what I can see on the web Roccaraso looks like an interesting place. A lot of the info is only available in Italian and although I can work out basics I would like to find out a whole lot more. The resort listing sites have a brief description but no more.

Family Gilbert may be getting relocated to Rome (Woo Hoo) which is a great opportunity and whilst looking for Info Mrs Gilbert found that Roccaraso is only two hour drive which is just the icing on the cake.

Does it get mega busy at weekends? is there a good supply of accomodation there or close by. What is the lift infrasturcture like? Is the Ski School any good. Questions questions questions but this is the place to ask

I am dreaming of skiing a lot of weekends at the moment so may look in to a season let say maybee 30 min drive from the resort. Have to stop walking round doing my Cheshire Cat impression.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GRIMSBY RANGER might be able to help, he's got a place in Abruzzo and did a day in Roccaraso earlier this year. He's been away but he's back tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve thanks for the reply, am still doing some internet research and will post more when i have some time, the move is taking most spare time at the mo
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Gilberts Fridge, here is the official sie if you hadn't already found it. http://www.roccaraso.net

I've only skied it the one day as SteveKirby, mentioned but it was better than I expected. It does get busy at the weekends, so I've been told, we went on a Monday and it was very quiet. The snow was rubbish though, it's had a very poor season this year, mild and dry! Last season was very good so who knows about next. It took a bit of finding the slopes, I drove actually to Roccaraso which resembled a bit of a ghost town Sad and had to drive around a bit until we found some lifts. Outside of the town we found the area Pizzalto which is small but links to Aremogna which was bigger. The ones around the town were closed probably due to the lack of snow. There seems a number of 'areas' to it, some are linked others not by the looks of it. The lifts seemed OK, better than some places I've been to, lift pass prices seemed on a par with a small Alpine resort which surprised me a little. The food etc. was typical for the region, cheap! I think there's stacks of accomodation, seems it on the website. There's very little English spoken, typical of the region, so without Italian basics the ski schools could be a problem. It's well worth a visit, especially being in driving distance and if the snow is good, the roads to it are excellent. If you're on the right side of Rome you could do it in 2 hours. It seemed qiuite 'bare' as most of the trees are hardwood trees, I would imagine it could get quite bleak in bad weather!

There are lots of other smaller resorts doted about, some a lot closer to Rome, have a look at this site http://www.mercuriusrelocations.com/guide/id115.html some are actually in Lazio, don't know what they're like though. I'm hoping to do a few short trips next winter. If you want me to get you a road map with the resorts shown next time I'm over just PM me and I will. I had a look at the Gran Sasso last summer, there's a cable car up from Fonte Cerreto. I don't know if it's an actual run but the slope under the cable car looked awesome if it had a good covering of snow, I might go and try it next year Twisted Evil Though it was a quick look as I looked in the middle of a thunderstorm rolling eyes so I may have to have another look properly this summer.

Campo Felice is closer to Rome and is supposed to be quite popular.

Hope that helps

Kerry
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kerry

Thanks for taking the time to post will look at your links with interest. Just had it confirmed that we are going to be a little north of Rome near La Storta. Had a good look at the official sight and thought it promising, good to read your views to. I know it won’t be the 3V etc but hope it won’t be mega basic either. I am worried that anything close to Rome may be very busy at the weekends but as I will be working shifts I may just have to go and do some solo quality control during the week Twisted Evil

As for the snow well its good years and bad everywhere, I have had some dreadful stays in Morzine.

Have also found out that one of my new colleagues is a snowboarder and knows a few other resorts so will post more when I have managed to share a few beers with him.

We have had a couple of trips to sort out schools etc for the kids so have all the maps but thanks for your kind offer.

Hopefully for us we can transfer our French language skills pretty quickly to get the basics but as for ski school I thought that it may be a problem. Luckily both our boys are just old enough to ski basic greens so even if we just go and have fun with them on the nursery slopes it will be a big thing for us.

Cheers

Cam
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here is a photo from my day in Roccaraso

wink

actually, there is some very nice skiing there and in other stations in the central apennines. campo felice is fun too and well worth the drive up from rome

for roccaraco, there's a very pleasant hotel in roca pia which is about 15 mins drive away. can't remember the name unfortunately. doubt there's more than one hotel in that village though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grimsby Ranger,
Had a good look at the link and both Rocarasso and Campo Felice look very good . I am trying hard not too get too excited, Is it Decmber yet?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I was Googleing like mad for info on these resorts and nothing like the link you provided came up

Arno,

From the photo twin towned with Avimore in the not to distant future.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A old thread, but the webcam looks great
http://www.meteoappennino.it/index.php?option=com_stazsci&Itemid=136
I had to look fora flight to Rome Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy