Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Video Camera should I buy?

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about buying a video camera primarily for filming sports (skiing, athletics, netball etc.) as well as general indoor usage.

Any suggestions on Models, manufacturers or types?

I am told by my ski buddy (an ex BBC cameraman) that i should go for min 10x optical, Hard drive and HD format with helmet cam input and fire wire to ensure it is future proof.

Not sure about price point but probably no more than £500.

EDIT (A dumb question but if i buy in the USA are there any format issues i need to worry about)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-05-07 10:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret wrote:
I am thinking about buying a video camera primarily for filming sports (skiing, athletics, netball etc.) as well as general indoor usage.

Any suggestions on Models, manufacturers or types?

I am told by my ski buddy (an ex BBC cameraman) that i should go for min 10x optical, Hard drive and HD format with helmet cam input and fire wire to ensure it is future proof.

Not sure about price point but probably no more than £500.

How were you going to use the film? Personally I would go for a cheaper MiniDV camera as it is bound to get mashed around a lot unless you really have a requirement for HD, then I would go for a HD tape unit. I wouldn't get an optical or hard drive unit due to compression considerations.

For sports footage get 25x zoom with image stabilization (mechanical is better than electronic).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think you'll get a high definition format camcorder at that price point for a couple of years at least. If you go for a hard disc based camcorder (rather than tape) make sure that the format is compatible with whatever software you intend to use for editing the footage. This is a good site for independent reviews and info http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

If I were buying now with your budget I think I'd be looking for a compact, good quality tape-based miniDV camcorder with analogue input (for helmetcam). Choice of brand and model would be largely driven by reviews on the camcorderinfo website.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, just for home use, occasional posts to youtube and review on the computer/home TV when checking out turns/long jumps frame by frame.

you recon 25x is a better bet? that makes sense to me an good tip on the image stabilization.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also be aware that if you are using a helmet cam you will need AV in. Unless you get a MP4 recorder you'd be better going for a miniDV camcorder as very few Hard drive camcorders have AV in.

If you want High Def you'll be looking at about £700 at a starting point.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, any issues with cold causing tape jams? i have had a few people tell me tapes can be problematic and Hard Drive is the way to go.

I recon HD format is probably not needed as im not making movies Blush I think my mate was just thinking about future proofing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, future proofing is good, but early adopters pay a premium and the format is still new to most consumers therefore still expensive.

I've never had a tape jam/problem of any kind in the 10 years that I've used camcorders, including hot and cold conditions. Bigger problem is cold affecting battery performance, so a spare can be useful.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I supply a guy that is filming the Burton team and filmed the Artic Challenge. He did say MiniDV is better quality than hard drive and with hard drive you can run the problem of the disk jumping. Cold would only become an issue at temperatures where you wouldn't be out anyway.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had tape jaming occur due to cold but it was arround -18C at the time, with temps above that I've not had any problems
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This has come up several times - search for "MiniDV" which is the only real option in terms of price and quality.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:

EDIT (A dumb question but if i buy in the USA are there any format issues i need to worry about)

http://www.alkenmrs.com/video/standards.html

The PAL NTSC video incompatibility issue may be a problem if you go the tape route.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, I have been using a Sanyo XACTI for ski vids this winter. It is tiny, takes great photos, as well as being waterproof (to a limit). Less than 200 quid, too. It is not quite up to the standard you require but Sanyo make a HD version for around double the cost.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PisteHead, I have a brother in the States coming over and could smuggle one in and with $ at 2 i would prob buy in the USA. Do you recon that the MiniDV tapes cameras sold in teh USA would only be NTSC compatible? Do HDD cameras allow either format?

HDD cameras seem to have only up to 10x zoom in high resolution models with 40x zoom in 1 Mega pixel , not sure if that makes any difference to filming skiing.

rob@rar, thanks for the link most informative
kiwi1, i will make sure i will consider the AV Input
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, buy a PAL camcorder and save yourself a lot of hassle. The money you'd save by taking advantage of the weak dollar is not worth the incompatibility you're likely to face having an NTSC camcorder in a PAL world.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd go cheap mini DV to start with - decent models seem to be under £150 now & maybe a separate flash memory helmet cam (ask WTFH what his is - seemed to produce reasonable laptop if not DVD quality footage).
snow conditions
rob@rar, for sure but i am wondering if i go HDD does that eliminate the format problem as pistehead seem to allude that HDD can output in either format
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, for sure but i am wondering if i go HDD does that eliminate the format problem as pistehead seem to allude that HDD can output in either format

I don't know for certain about that, but I'd be surprised if any camcorder had the option to format convert on the fly depending on which format you wanted to output. Perhaps others know better?
snow report
rob@rar, not worried about being able to change on the fly but rather just if i purchase in the USA can i SET UP for either PAL or NTSC output (kind of like multi region on DVD palyers), or is it one or the other depending on where you buy.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, not worried about being able to change on the fly but rather just if i purchase in the USA can i SET UP for either PAL or NTSC output (kind of like multi region on DVD palyers), or is it one or the other depending on where you buy.

I've known some camcorders that can be changed from PAL-NTSC and viceversa, but this has been a software hack rather than a user configurable option. In much the same way has region coding on DVD players is designed to keep markets seperate form each other, I guess camcorder manufacturers won't make it easy to switch formats. Perhaps a question on the forum of that link I posted might yield an informed answer 'cause I'm just guessing Smile
snow report
Lots of good advice above...

My 2p worth... MiniDV as it is the most robust and if a tape goes wrong, you put another one in. Good for 1hr recording
and the playback through a TV can be very good; ie Sony. Any probs with quality tend to surface with writing to DVD.

I can't say how DVD write type cams differ in this but maybe storage etc will be an issue.

My little HD44 Sony appears pretty bombproof and the only two things I would change spec-wise, would be to up the zoom from x10, as for ski vids this is just too constricting, and the photo facilty would need more than 1.3 m pixels to be more than useful. Also, I'd like an HD-ready cam as the picture quality is sooo much better and an external lenses capabilty. If you search back for rob@rar's helmut cam stuff he posted, you may get an idea of the stuff that is achievable relatively easily.
snow report
JT wrote:
If you search back for rob@rar's helmut cam stuff he posted, you may get an idea of the stuff that is achievable relatively easily.

Here. Also admin's race footage here.
latest report
after researching a bit will definately get PAL camera (you can buy mail order in USA at very good prices)

Seems to be a big decision regarding optical zoom versus resolution. The newer model MiniDV and HDD cameras all seem to be only 10x . But, the 25x types seem to have much lower resolution so i am wondering if the higher digital resolution eliminates the need for over 10x optical.
snow report
skimottaret, although a longer zoom can be useful, if if go much above x10 or x15 you need an incredibly steady hand or a tripod to make the footage watchable. I think my current camcorder has a maximum x10 zoom and even at that range I find it difficult to hold it steady enough. You can buy conversion lenses which screw into the filter thread on the front of (most) camcorders, allowing you to change the zoom ratio - double check that your chosen camcorder has a filter thread before you buy. Actually, the biggest problem I find with camcorders is not that the zoom is not long enough but the wide angle is not wide enough (I have a x0.5 to overcome this).
snow conditions
I think on balance MiniDV is the way to go and the wide lens sounds a smart idea as well. am leaning towards 25x optical zoom for things like athletics events as well as skiing. I dont think i will go for a helmet cam so AV input not really needed which opens up choises quite a bit.

I tend to buy sony gear as it never lets me down plus the tv's, dvd's etc seems to connect up much easier, whenever i have tried other brands it has been harder to hook up.

Sony HC48 seems to tick all boxes and a PAL version can be sourced in USA for $430. http://www.bhphotovideo.com

FYI The top of the range sony HC96 is $600 has a 10x zoom but much higher resolution 3.3Mpixel CCD and has AV input so i may look at that as well.
ski holidays
I'd go for the HC96. Higher resolution stills and AV input likely to be more useful than long zoom in my experience, and in any case you can always add a zoom lens convertor on the front for those occasional far off event.
snow report
FWIW Here is a review I wrote of the Samsung DP 361

http://www.abcseo.com/blog/samsung-d361-cheap-camcorder
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Also admin's race footage here.
Rob, says I don't have permission to view, any ideas?
snow conditions
davidof, nice write up, you have me thinking now as that sounds like a lot of camera for 200Euro

if i go for a more expensive version rob@rar, the stills capabilty of the HC96 may make it worthwile to go for as it is nice to be able to grab the odd high quality still when out filming

oh decisions decisions wink wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ruthG wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Also admin's race footage here.
Rob, says I don't have permission to view, any ideas?

You need to register and to login on the snowMedia site as it uses a seperate login to snowHeads itself. Once you've done that you can see the video Smile
snow report
rob@rar, not knowing anything about video would you recon a 10x optical zoom 3Mpix camcorder zoomed digitally to 30x would give the same quality as a 30x optical with a 1mpix ccd array?

could this be why sony no longer offers the higher zooms in the top end cameras or am i oversimplifying things?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
[ stills capabilty of the HC96 may make it worthwile to go for as it is nice to be able to grab the odd high quality still when out filming

oh decisions decisions wink wink

I wish my camcorder had better stills resolution. It's either video OR stills for me, because I won't carry both a camcorder and a stills camera.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, not knowing anything about video would you recon a 10x optical zoom 3Mpix camcorder zoomed digitally to 30x would give the same quality as a 30x optical with a 1mpix ccd array?

Not for video it won't because it will only use the standard video resolution (720x576 IIRC) which is then zoomed in digitally. Not sure about stills pictures as I've never had a camcorder with decent stills resolution. Best thing to do if your camcorder has a digital zoom is to turn it off and never use it.
latest report
so the extra resolution is only good for stills?
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

Yes, at least on all the domestic camcorders I've used. The digital zooms on video footage are awful as the video picture gets pixellated beyond comprehension at the more extreme zoom distances (eg up to x200).
snow report
Agree about digital zooms..don't use them. X10 may be ok if you are happy with the wide angle. My Sony doesn't have the best although I can't recall what it is.

I use the still facilty as it is another easy way to get stuff onto PC, but my 1.3mp isn't that good..you have to mess around with it to get a good portrait in normal lighting. In skiing or alpine backdrops then the light is good enough for it to be used as a lighthearted holiday pic. Not spectacular but useable for snaps..!!

Dead easy to get onto PC...the editing and burn later is the issue for me.
snow conditions
PisteHead, PAL/NTSC is not an issue with DV. Most cameras can switch their direct TV output and DV tape is a native generic format that your software editing programme will output to whatever regional standards you require.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
PisteHead, I have a brother in the States coming over and could smuggle one in and with $ at 2 i would prob buy in the USA. Do you recon that the MiniDV tapes cameras sold in teh USA would only be NTSC compatible? Do HDD cameras allow either format?

skimottaret, I suppose dual PAL and NTSC format miniDV cameras are available.

About HDD camcorders, HDD camcorders can record in various data formats. If recording in computer compatible formats like mpeg-2, mpeg-4, AVI, etc. then the PAL/NTSC issue is bypassed.

Edit: Masque's comment overrides this post.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Yes, at least on all the domestic camcorders I've used.

Not even for stills.

Basically, "digital zoom" is a fancy name for enlarging a picture. I suspect the term was cooked up by the marketing people for the express purpose of selling a (nearly) useless "feature" to the public.

In fact, the still quality of most camcorder is rather poor to start with. Blowing up the image (which is what "digital zoom" really is) simply make it COMPLETELY useless.

Ironically, the only time "digital zoom" is useful is if you have a HD camcorder with lots of pixels. And you wants to see the details ON CAMERA right after you just took it. Because once it's downloaded to the computer, you can "zoom" it as many times as you like, 50x, 100x, etc. You're only limited by, you guessed it, the resolution!
latest report
Masque wrote:
DV tape is a native generic format that your software editing programme will output to whatever regional standards you require.

If I download video footage from my camcorder to my computer via Firewire it comes across in PAL video format (25fps, 768x576 frame size). Is the camcorder doing some kind of on the fly conversion from native DV to PAL before it is downloaded via Firewire? Could I instruct my software editor to receive this footage in NTSC format (29.97 fps, 720x480) so I don't have to do a post-transfer format conversion?
snow conditions
abc wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Yes, at least on all the domestic camcorders I've used.

Not even for stills.

Lots of new camcorders have imaging chips which are far larger than required for just video capture (3 megapixels+) and they use all the pixels for digital stills, but only a subset for video capture. For example, the Sony HC96 shoots stills up to 2016x1512 which is significantly larger than videframe size.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy