Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

John's Lake Louise Honeymoon Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Right,

The countdown has well and truly started with only over 8 weeks to go. I want to know everything there is to know about this place. Good runs, where to eat on mountain/ off mountain. Other activities etc.

No snow as yet on the web cams. Can anyone do a webcam link to this thread? The SCGB have a link with quite a good picture.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been so I can't tell you anything useful....but here's the webcam Lake Louise Web Cam
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Other activities" is the right phrase for a honeymoon. Apart from the obvious, how about skiing in the light of the moon, with honey exchanged between the newly married lovers?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Honey? what are you on about? David Goldsmith,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"You got the honey baby, then Ive got the bees". (useful american phrase that could mean almost anything)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in the rockies last week and there *was* snow - believe me - I was camping in it! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lordy, where to begin.....

I was there in January with eight other snowHeads and non-snowHeads. We stayed a fortnight in the Lake Louise Inn. Weather was “tropical” for the time of year - Around freezing at base level and no colder than -10 on the upper slopes. I’d only been skiing a week when I went to Lake Louise so my memories are largely of the easier stuff without bumps, though I got pretty adventurous towards the end. Anyway, here’s what I can usefully remember from the trip.

Trail maps are here: http://www.skilouise.com/trailmaps/

There are three main areas on the mountain: the Front (South) Side which rises up from the base lodge and parking area; the Ptarmigan/Paradise (Back Bowls) area; and the Larch area.

On the front side, avoid the Olympic chair unless it’s been upgraded to an express lift. Back in January it was still a fixed chairlift which was S L O W getting to the top but which will give you a nasty clout on the leg if you misjudge getting on it (easy to do - although it’s a long ride to the top the cable actually moves pretty fast for a fixed lift).

The main route up is the Glacier Express. From here, my favourite runs were Juniper and Juniper Jungle (the latter is ideal for the last run of the day as you can ski right up to the door of the ski locker room). Juniper Jungle, unlike Juniper, is not marked as a slow skiing area, which is just as well as there’s a quite entertaining schuss at the end of it (if you don’t want to do any walking, that is). JJ is marked as a single black diamond - it’s not, it’s a blue with a schuss, and the trail signs when I was there still showed it as blue. Juniper is a great warm-up run first thing.

From the top of the Glacier lift there’s a choice of alternative routes. If you like button lifts you can ski across to the Summit Platter, which gives you access to the highest point on the mountain and to the back bowls off the top of Mount Whitehorn. Or you can follow the short link down to the Top Of The World express lift, or else ski directly down to Whitehorn Lodge and the Eagle Chair. My favourite run down from the top of the South side was up the TTOW and down Home Run and Grizzly, the latter being an entertaining gully (mind the rocks if the snow cover is light). Don’t fall on Grizzly - the Top Of The World chair with its incumbent audience passes right overhead wink Personally though, once up the TOTW lift I would head inexorably down the other side of the mountain onto my favourite run of the whole resort, Saddleback. It’s marked as green, and sure if you stick to the trail then it probably is a Canadian green, but who wants to stick to the trail? Twisted Evil Saddleback joins up with Pika, a gentle run-in past Temple Lodge down to the foot of the Ptarmigan and Larch chairs. If Saddleback is too tame for you, you can try the huge number of gullies and moguls on either side, marked as single and double blacks on the map.

The Larch chair gives you access to the Larch area (unsurprisingly). There’s quite a variety of runs here, though the area itself is quite small. Favourite run for me was - say it with me, Monty Python fans - The. Larch. wink

Other “must do” runs are the Men’s and Ladies’ downhills; the latter is accessible from the Glacier express, the former is accessible from the Olympic Chair (if you need a long sit down) or from the TTOW.

Anyone know if they've opened up the Richardson's Ridge area yet?

There are three lodges - well, four really but the base lodges (Whiskeyjack and Ten Peaks) are joined together into one building.

Whiskeyjack Lodge (west side of base area next to car parks 2 & 3) contains, on the lower level, the information desks for buying your lift passes, and the booking place for ski school. There's also a ski shop. Beyond the info desk is a staffed ski locker area. If you’re on hire skis you can leave your skis here overnight for free - an excellent service. Upstairs is a large open bar area, and beyond that (above the ski locker area) is the place to get breakfast. 10 Canadian Dollars gets you the All You can Eat buffet breakfast, a fine way to start the day.

The Lodge Of The Ten Peaks is at the car park 1 (east) end of the same building. It too is split into two levels. On the base level is the ski hire centre, another ski shop and a buffet-style restaurant. Tried the restaurant once, not that impressed. Upstairs is a rather nice bar where my friends and I missed several buses snowHead They serve some decent beer - Leffe - and fantastic pizzas as well as other food. The waitresses are tops too... silly me, you’re on a honeymoon Twisted Evil

Whitehorn Lodge is where the meal is held prior to the Torchlight Descent - make sure you book yourself and your new wife onto that, it’s an unforgettable experience! A superb buffet is dished up, with a limbo dancing competition to see which tables get to go up first, and all to the accompaniment of one of the funniest musical duos I’ve seen outside of an Otway gig. Food is great, the beer flows... and then you ski down in total darkness, save for strap-on head lamps and instructors with flaming torches. Normally whitehorn is pretty much like any other buffet-style mountainside lodge.

Temple Lodge has two areas on separate levels. The lower level is your straightforward buffet-style lodge; however upstairs houses the best dining experience on the mountain by a country mile. Make sure you go at least once, but be prepared not to have very much time for skiing afterwards wink

Off the mountain, there are a number of places to eat. We stayed in Louise itself - I seem to recall you’ll be in the Chateau, where no doubt the nosh will be top dollar. Anyway, there’s a place to eat in the Mall, which was more like a cafe really, we only went there once. The Railway (or was it called the Station?) next to the railway station is probably the most up-market place we went, lovely surroundings, loads of history and the food was pretty darn good too - ever had bison?

The Lake Louise Inn, where we stayed, has, remarkably, THREE separate and distinct places to eat. Downstairs in the bar you can get the Canadian equivalent of pub grub, very good pub grub at that. Upstairs there is a superb pizza restaurant. Between these is the full restaurant - if you do anything while you’re in Lake Louise, GO THERE and have the Triple-A Alberta fillet steak, as rare as you can stomach. It is absolutely and utterly gobsmackingly gorgeous! I bet you’re going to tell me you’re a vegetarian now... wink We dined here twice during our visit, once for a birthday and again on our last night. Quite, quite superb. Lovely waitresses too... Twisted Evil

Our most popular place to eat off the mountain was the Youth Hostel, across the road from the Lake Louise Inn. Sounds surprising doesn’t it, but wow, fantastic selection of food, crazy cheap prices and a wonderful atmosphere. Nice waitresses too. Twisted Evil If I remember correctly they stop serving quite early in the evening so check times before going down there but I’d recommend giving it at least one visit.

Other activities - what other activities could you possibly need or want? Twisted Evil I skied for 13 days and then flew home wink Apparently the trip up to Jasper and going ice walking is to be recommended. Dog sledding is only to be recommended if you like getting a face full of what the dogs had for breakfast. Snowmobiling, heli-skiing... my views on these are best left unsaid in this thread.

Hope this helps, Johnboy, best of luck with the whole thing Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 29-09-04 16:11; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moosepig, great post except it ain't Jonpim gettin' hitched Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oops! Embarassed Corrected.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slow day at work today moosepig? NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers, excellent report moosepig
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dan wrote:
slow day at work today moosepig? NehNeh

Funnily enough, I was very busy. Busy writing that post. wink

johnboy, I'm more than happy to wax lyrical about Lake Louise. Very Happy Hope you can make use of the info.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Other activities; not much. Dog sledding, a horse drawn sleigh ride to some sort of knees up. Snowmobiling and heliskiing are longish drives away as they're not allowed in the National Park.

No nightlife apart from eating and whatever people do on their honeymoons (I can hardly remember). The Station is a great place, food good (not brilliant)but great atmos. the grub in the Deer Lodge was very good (about 9 years ago).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I honeymooned in Banff three years ago. We had a fantastic time. The first night we went out I let slip to the waitress that we were on honeymoon, plenty of drinks on the house followed. I thought that was great so let the same info slip the following night somewhere else, more drinks on the house. Very hospitable these Canadians!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moosepig wrote:

Quote:

Anyone know if they've opened up the Richardson's Ridge area yet?

Ha ha, fat chance: this is very unlikely EVER to get past the environment lobby, who would like nothing better than to end ALL skiing in the National Park (i.e. goodbye Lake Louise, Sunshine and Norquay).

Otherwise, moosepig, I concur: a very comprehensive survey of Lake Louise.

I'd also throw in a couple more recommendations: The Post Hotel in LL has possibly the best restaurant in the entire region (certainly the most extensive - and expensive - wine list). Additionally, the pub at the Post Hotel (the "Outpost") serves bar food prepared in the same kitchen: I recommend it.

On mountain, an overlooked run is "Meadowlark", on the front side on the far left of the area (as you look down from the top): at its best, this is a long sweeping cruiser. But be warned: it can also be sheet ice, or covered with bumps the size of VWs: check the trail grooming report before you go up there. - Its rated blue, and that's about right, but only if you enter it about a quarter of the way down from the top, via the green "Eagle Meadows". The upper pitch (named, with stunning originality "Upper Meadowlark") is a black tree run.

On the back side, Ptarmigan is a good mogulled black trail that goes straight down the fall line, and there's plenty of anything as tough as you like in the back bowls (although conditions might be a bit iffy, that early in the season).

Think twice if "Exhibition" seems attractive: This is entered at the top of the Ptarmigan chair, and it runs down the back side. It has a very inviting entry - wide, moderate pitch, but you very rapidly get to a point of no return where it falls away steeply. It is always mogulled and frequently (even in good snow years) has rocks and bits of brush poking up through the surface. Oh yeah, and it runs straight down the lift line, so your embarrasment can be enjoyed by everyone.

Be warned. It can be VERY cold (minus 30C). Also, because the atmosphere is very dry, it's a good idea to use some kind of skin moisturizer.
snow conditions
Moosepig must have forgotten The Outpost. We went there at least once and I agree with you about the bar food, very good. Only downside was it was crowded & we had to eat sitting at the bar in a long line, not so sociable with 9 of us.
snow conditions
Currently snowing in Lake Louise 2-5 cm expected today at village level. Temp down to -8 Very Happy
snow report
Pete Horn wrote:
Moosepig must have forgotten The Outpost

Quite right Pete, I had indeed forgotten the Outpost. It's a fair cop, but society is to blame. Actually I blame the rather large amount of alcohol that I'd consumed that evening... snowHead
snow report
John - hows the farming going ? I had a visit over to NI last week. Stayed in Belfast for a couple of days. Had a good time and a few nice pints.
ski holidays
Paul, very busy at the moment advising farmers on new environmental legislation etc. Can't wait for our trip to Lake Louise as I ain't had a holiday since Alpe D in January (and it rained upto 2600m Sad )

Were you over on Business? I can recommend the Crown Bar, Great Victoria St Belfast.
snow report
John - we were just over for a break for my birthday. We landed at Belfast International at 8.00am got the bus at 8.10 arrived in the bus station at 9.30 went to Esquires for a coffeee and then went across the road into the famous Crown Bar for a swifty - and Robinsons next door. Loved the "matches". All the booths down the side.
snow conditions
.....what's The Fly like these days? Tis the only pub i remember when i was over last! Embarassed rolling eyes
latest report
Haven't been in the Fly for a bout a year, but it is always good for a big night out.

Other good pubs are the Apartment opposite the City Hall and The Botanic Inn near Queens University.
snow conditions
Only one month to go!!!!

Quite excited about the wedding too Very Happy
ski holidays
Stag Report

Kicked off at 2.00pm with a surfing lesson in Portrush. Great fun as the waves were just nice and the sun came out.

After a hot sower and rest we headed back into the town for a meal which was excellent in the Comfort Hotel. Paced myself to about 9.30pm and after that started drinking double Vodka and Cokes Twisted Evil

Did a bar crawl around some of Portrush's fine drinking establishment before being bundled into a room above one of the pubs were a young lady took off all her clothes and put a pint glass of ice down my trousers.

Onward to the night club and after that to the late bar. Arrived home at 4.30am

Excellent Night had by all.
ski holidays
Glad you had a good time John - would you recommend a trip to Portrush for a group of us from the North East. (thinking about couples here )
ski holidays
johnboy, Sounds like fun. Just looked at the snow at Sunshine from photos taken on the 1st Nov, you will be in for a treat Smile
snow report
Paul,

Portrush is OK for the night, but not for any longer, some good bars and restaurants. Main attraction is our coast line. Loads of beaches, Giant's Causeway, Bushmills Distillery etc.......

Ken,

Seems to be shaping up nicely, only problem is I can't take my eyes off web cams for the next 3 weeks!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The excitement is bloody killing me now!!!!!!! This time 2 weeks I will be married and will be cruising at 38,000ft somewhere in the North Atlantic heading for Calgary.

Any good tips or lines I can give at checkin to get an upgrade??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Alas, upgrades are pretty scarce now! We had a chat with BA check-in staff last September and they said that across most airlines, upgrades are limited to frequent travellers. They said that if you really wanted to try your hardest to get one, you need to wear a suit just for starters. He did say that the Amercian airlines were the exception with upgrades more common but they were usually limited to journeys from the States back to the UK. Nevertheless, its always worth asking and you have the honeymoon angle! Good luck with the wedding etc.
snow conditions
Might be worth ringing the airline in advance, pretend to be the best-man(!), and ask them to look after 'the happy couple' going on on honeymoon.

They'll probably note it in the booking, so when you get to check-in, the check-in person will know, and might increase your chances ...

Fingers crossed !! Wink
snow report
So excited I can hardly keep still. this time next week we will have just touched down in Heathrow for our connection. Environment Canada is forecasting snow at the Lake Thurs, Fri and Saturday with temps averaging -13. Nice Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wedding rehersal tonight. AAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
snow report
Have a fab time John and dont forget the updates on your return - just about the skiing I may add. wink
snow report
More snow at the lake today, -8 at base and preparations for World Cup well underway snowHead

Enjoy!
snow conditions
Oh what difference a year makes!!!!
snow report
johnboy, Divorced already, surely not Shocked
snow report
Just to echo some of the comments of others some very nice runs at Louise and you'll find a few to suit whatever type of skier you are.

Have stayed at the LL Inn a few times and the bar and pizza are recommended, restaurant has been OK though service has been tardy on some occasions especially at breakfast.

For a special meal (assume you'd like to do one of these as its honeymoon trip) then the Chateau has some good restaurants (bit pricey though). Stayed there a couple of seasons ago and the sevice both in the restaurants and the hotel was excellent.

We were big fans of the Posthouse Pub (just across road from the Inn). Food was excellent and same as served in the hotel resaturant at a fraction of the price. As has been said can get busy so its worth getting there a bit early (can't remember when it opens 7 or 7.30). They are quite happy for you to stay all night if you wish. Nice soft chairs and open fire so very comfortable.

You should also plan a trip to Sunshine (about 30-40 bus ride, part of lift pass if you buy tri-area). Buses only run on certain days (about 2-3 times a week) though if you've done trip through travel company, the rep can contact Sunshine to send a mini bus to take you. The rep will need to arrange about 8 people to go though. We've done this in the past.

Tri-area pass also gets you to Norquay resort (other side of interstate from Sunshine so about same traveling time). Runs bit narrower than other areas and can become icy if no fresh snow but worth a visit.
snow report
The pub attached to the Post Hotel is called the Outpost. It has a friendly and cosy atmosphere and the food there is good. I would hasten to add though that although the food comes from the same kitchen as the main hotel restaurant, it is not the same as that served in the hotel, save for the odd dessert. The menu is vastly different, with the restaurant offering a true fine dining experience , see http://www.posthotel.com/accolades.html . Although the restaurant is expensive, for a honeymoon you would find it hard to beat and I would thoroughly recommend a visit. The Outpost on the other hand is a great relaxed hang out by the fire - can't wait to get back there. I'm not sure what time it opens, but certainly much earlier that 7.00pm, may be even be open from lunch. In my experience, it tends to be busy earlier, up until about 8.30, after which time it quietens down.
latest report
You know, my parents frequent LL and really are not so keen on the post, they think it is overpriced for what it is and they much preferred the deer lodge for a feed! Each to their own obviously!
snow conditions
buns, you're right of course, not everyone has the same taste or opinion - look how many people like the quality fare served up by Ronald McDonald for instance Puzzled .

I should have mentioned the Station restaurant as well, previously mentioned by moosepig. This is housed in what I believe was the old railway station for Lake Louise. It's a fantastic building, so a really interesting place to go and eat, and the food is excellent, IMO one of the better restaurants in LL, and not too expensive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy