Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First week in Jan 08

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With my daughters school going to be re built they are all getting an extra week's holiday so the staff can move into the temporary school. So while everyone else will be back I have the chance to go ski ing in the first full week in Jan, leaving 6th jan I think.

With it being early in the season where would be best.

Last season we went with Espirit which was a great success. They go to La Rosiere and Tignes among others.

Where would have the best snow record, and I soppose in Jan the better weather record (if that is possible at that time of year)?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisb, Chris you'll not find a lot of difference between Tignes and La Rosiere at that time, although as La Rosiere is mainly south facing it does get more sun than any of the nearby resorts, you can see this most clearly when you look across the valley to Arc 2000, in January it's still in shadow at 11.00 and by 15.00 any sun has completely gone. January skiing is a bit of a lottery, I've known superb weather but about 3 seasons ago we had 3 weeks of continuous storms as did most of the Tarentaise, although the advantages of lower cost and quiet pistes shouldn't be ignored.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Where would have the best snow record

One of the difficulties that we face in our decision making is whether past performance will have any bearing on future trends. This year was very different to the last few Confused

Recently Austria had had the best early season snow (but that wasn't so true last year).

If you really have to book now, I would aim to go somewhere with nearby high skiing. The usual choices of Les Deux Alpes, Tignes, Zermatt, Cervinia, Ischgl, Obergurgl, Obertauern etc etc etc But for that week, it is traditionally the quietest of the season so you should really leave it until the last minute and get a bargain (or at least wait until you can see how the season is shaping up).

Nice one though snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisb, A very valid point is made by Ray Zorro,
Quote:

it is traditionally the quietest of the season so you should really leave it until the last minute and get a bargain (or at least wait until you can see how the season is shaping up).

Thgis really is the advice to follow. You will get a bargain, and you can choose the resort with the best snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for waiting until closer. Loads of availability across the Alps, so no worries about getting a place. If you only have a family group and are happy to be flexible about where you go/stay there seems to be few advantages to booking early.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Another vote for waiting until closer. Loads of availability across the Alps, so no worries about getting a place. If you only have a family group and are happy to be flexible about where you go/stay there seems to be few advantages to booking early.

3 kids so no choice to book early and using TO Mad Mad . Montchavin last 2 winters and already booked for Plan Peisey 1st week Jan next year. Its a fantastic week to spend in Les Arcs/La Plagne. Very, very quiet. Wish I could leave it until last minute Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisb, You lucky lucky sod!

I am always stuck with school holidays, as a teacher, and would love the chance to get a week when it wasn't crowded and top prices. Or even get to a snowHeads meet.

Frosty's idea is spot on. Wait and see where the snow is and the world is your oyster!

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your comments. Whenever I book it will certainly be cheaper than Feb half term!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy