Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you like kick turns?

Poster: A snowHead
They used to be a standard element in the ski instructor's curriculum. From time to time they've been banned from it.
Do you have any happy memories of kick turns?
Do you have any amusing stories of getting stuck at the 'point of no return'?
Is your failure to perform kick turns causing a sense of personal crisis?
Do you think ski instructors should be able to perform kick turns?
Do you avoid kick turns like the plague?
Do your kick turns impress your friends?
Do you have any questions about kick turns for our panel of experts?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-09-04 11:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only to be used as a last resort in my opinion, eg so steep that you're too scared to make any other kind of turn. I find them easier to do on steep slopes, although halfway through the kick is always a slightly nervous time for me! I suppose that it's a useful trick to have been taught and practised, but it should be emphasised that it has limited utility.

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do remember going to the top of the Aiguille du Midi to start a variant of the Vallee Blanche with a group of mixed ability skiers, and our guide taking us "for the lookings" which entailed Chamonix being perfectly framed by my ski tips 2500m below, and the call to "you kick turn now" revealing that 2 of the party have never done one in their life! rolling eyes
The most intermediate member was sent ahead by the guide, and shouts of "you turn now" as she approached each crevasse were followed by an oil tanker like turn in thigh dee powder. We got down safely and I'm now her husband, but she won't go off piste ever again. Embarassed
Great experience though Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always found them very useful, especially when up to my knees in powder, unable to turn in any direction and heading towards a bunch of trees Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf. Maybe, like me, you were taught to do them by a severe Austro/Swiss instructor in some bygone age!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No idea what one is!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Far from being of limited utility, uphill kick turns are absolutely essential when skinning (zigzagging) up steep slopes.

Getting stuck on the corner having managed to kick one ski tip into the snow bank is always good for a laugh Embarassed

Having the edge of the track give way beneath you in mid turn is another good one rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really doubt that my ageing body could achieve such a posture. Nasal snowplough is another way out of sticky situations.... or sideslip for miles! At least until you have a really embarrassing pile of scraped off snow under you!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Once got led (not by a guide or a Ski Club rep!) into the Grand Couloir (now called Triffide 1, I believe) at La Grave. Way beyond my ability at the time - and I would not want to chance it again now. I really thought there was a very high chance of ending that one maimed or dead. The only way I could psyche myself down when I stopped at the side, at one stage, was with a kick turn. When I got down to the bottom, one of another party of guide (or may have been an instructor) -led skiers had broken a femur. The next week, a far more expert skier than I killed herself there. I survived, but was very lucky IMO. Really taught me a thing or 2 about making one's own assement about who is leading a party.

But I was glad I knew how to kick turn.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Q.Do you have any happy memories of kick turns?
A. Yes
Q.Do you have any amusing stories of getting stuck at the 'point of no return'?
A.No, the usual fall, when bad, face down
Q.Is your failure to perform kick turns causing a sense of personal crisis?
A.No, never had troubles
Q.Do you think ski instructors should be able to perform kick turns?
A. Not only instructors, every skier should, it's an essential help for situations where no other type of turn could be performed.
Q.Do you avoid kick turns like the plague?
A. No, in fact it's a way to check in which shape my legs are
Q.Do your kick turns impress your friends?
A. No, we all are able to kick turn, "back" or "front" (the one you link to is a "front", this is a non official terminology, of course) type it's the same.
Q.Do you have any questions about kick turns for our panel of experts?
A. did I pass the panel examination? Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee, it's actually a brilliant way of turning 180 degrees on the spot, and is essential in off-piste skiing to get out of sticky situations. But it has a nasty habit of going wrong and demands a fair amount of practice in various snow conditions, on various gradients.

Here's the full explanation, from the ever-useful ifyouski.com site.

Matteo, yes I'm firing the existing panel because they haven't convinced me they know anything about skiing. You're in.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 29-09-04 12:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've done it on the flat, but never on a slope. Why is it called "kick turn"?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David, agree 100%, also it can inflict damages to untrained knees!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahhh now I know what you mean!

Ive done that a few times, just with very little grace and dignity!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, I believe it was thus named by the skiers' companions who were standing close by at the time.
latest report
I've done it but never knew what it was called. I also dicovered on igluski that I am a master at the 'arret Briancon'. Never knew it was called that though: http://www.ifyouski.com/Technique/Alpineskiing/Basics/Falling/
snow report
I have happy memories of being able to perform them and they were useful but 18 years of rugby mean I wouldn't dare now.
snow report
Alan Craggs, Laughing

michael stocking, thanks for that link, Laughing now I know that at various times I have mastered the "Three point yard sale" and the "face plant".
ski holidays
NickW, I remember with great hilarity an insructor trying to teach a group of us to do this. Most of the females could do it. A couple of us males couldnt even lift our skis onto the rear tips!!. Likewise with rugby, that was serious, skiing for me however is a "social" sport
snow report
In the If You Ski falling link, I noticed a bit about not using poles to break your speed in a fall as they could jam into the snow and cause an injury. Last year I saw a kid of about 12 do that lazy thing where on a long flat bit you lean right back in you boots and almost lie down on your skis. He put his pole out between his legs pointing forwards with his head raised to navigate, went over a bump, pole dug in and the grip smashed into his mouth...... very very unpleasant!
snow report
Yes, use it quite often to face the other way when stationary, esp. when stopped at the side of the piste waiting for the rest of the group. Was taught it in Andorra on first year skiing in 1982, along with side slipping.
snow conditions
michael stocking dont wear slippery clothes??? I might be wrong but my waterproof jacket doesnt strike me as sticky (well not for a few years anyway)
snow report
'Like' isn't really the most appropriate word but I've found them fantastically useful in a few tricky corners, though, since I got twin twips I just reverse out of these situations Very Happy
snow conditions
Got taught it years ago when I first learned to ski, but, being an on-piste skier, I'd never realised it was a serious technique. I thought it was designed for the locals' entertainment - look at those dumb Brits falling flat on their face and being stretchered off for emergency knee reconstruction Madeye-Smiley

David's link to ifyouski.com sums it up for me. Terms like 'uncomfortable and unstable' and 'teetering on the brink of disaster' don't exactly encourage you to try kick turns.
latest report
I was taught it in 1991 by an ancient Swiss ski instructor and they've helped me out occasionally on a slope but mainly on the flat to face the other way. Its much easier to use now with the shorter skis.
latest report
Good point. Short skis make them much easier, and produce less leverage on the knees.
snow conditions
Do I like them - No. But I have used them in 'nothing else would do' situations. Would never do them on the flat, though. You need to be on a decent slope so you can plant the poles uphill behind you for some stability at the half way point.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 29-09-04 15:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
But the "modern" skis, especially since many come with riser/race plates, do tend to be a lot heavier than the more "traditional" models, or is it just me getting old?

If the slope is not overly steep a 180 twist in the air is a quicker alternative and maybe less likely to go wrong?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You mean this kind of kick turn? (Taekwon-do, apparently)
latest report
Alan Craggs, if the last edge isn't released quite right, the ankles and knees will smart something cruel trying for kick turns. (This is between pic#3 and pic#4 on the ifyouski link) It took 3 daysx1200mg ibuprofen to live down the time I tried them on 160cm 9'10s with carve plates.

David Goldsmith the instructor was Slovenian/Italian. In 1974.
ski holidays
First thing I was taught on a dry slope, tips caught in the dendex not a good idea cos the dendex face plant is the worst face plant of all. Never new it was called a kick turn.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, my instructor was a very petite Swiss lady about 4ft 9" tall and I was probably only 4 or 5 years old at the time snowHead I definately used one in Feb on the Wengen Slalom course which is about 33 degrees Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 29-09-04 21:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
My instructors have always done kick turns as they demonstrated what we were supposed to be doing and then turned to head off down the mountain...
snow report
Kickturns are cool, but Craggs is right about a 180 degree jump turn being a safer way to turn around on steep, exposed places. You should get these down before you go on very steep slopes. When you do a jump turn to get out of tight spot on steep slope, be sure to lift your tails as you jump or they won't clear, thats not good.
snow report
DCGaper,
Quote:

be sure to lift your tails as you jump or they won't clear, thats not good

no but it's very entertaining for any onlookers Little Angel
snow conditions
Well that's why I qualified my comment with "not overly steep" Laughing but a jump turn off one ski is a different and reliable turn more suited to steep than flat.

I am usually only referred to as "Craggs" by lawyers in Court - do I know you in another life Gaper ? Shocked
latest report
Alan Craggs wrote:
...I am usually only referred to as "Craggs" by lawyers in Court...

Really? Shocked
snow conditions
In answer to the question: NO. But that's just because I can't do them.
I get half-way and then have to clumsily retreat.
But why the name? Where does the Kick come into it?
Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong: no kick.
ski holidays
Jonpim, if you are not "kicking" your foot/ski into the air as the first part of the manoeuvre what are you doing?
latest report
I'm doing an ever so graceful ballet step.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy