Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EOSB 2007 - water skiing the lake - video

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the EOSB in Val Thorens. Excellent stuff.

On the last day, got the bottle to ski across the lake below the glacier.
First time I've done anything like that before.

...... it was ***F*U*N***

Perhaps a good thing did not do it earlier in the week, otherwise I'm sure would have ended up getting a soaking as confidence grew.

So - for your viewing pleasure, I've posted a video of my second attempt;
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/7304

Next attempt ( sadly not video'd ) we got the bottle to do the long route across the lake.
That was fun too.

Anyone got piccies/videos of the same thing?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TJon, nice one. I've never had the bottle to do that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How deep was it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
How deep was it?
happily - I don't know how deep it was.
But to be on the safe side, we stripped down to just base layers, so if we took a soaking there would be something to wear for the rest of the ride down.

I know some snowheads saw a dunking - maybe they can let us know the depth?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TJon, i don;t have permission to view - why would that be?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, you might need a snowMedia account.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crazy_skier_jules, whats that about? i can see other stuff in the mediazone
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, i had that message too although i was logged in, I found that if i looked for it in SMZ and then clicked on the video it worked ok.

TJon, looks like good fun !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, hold the 'Ctrl' key as you click on it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TJon, you did well.

admin was given some video footage of others trying it and falling in and then having to strip down to their boxers to dive in to retrieve lost skis Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, I can't even get that far. when I click on the link I get a blank screen apart from the message:

"You do not have permission to view the images in this category. "

ctrl & click on teh link doesn't do anything at all
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx,

if I go to the media zone, and do NOT login, then all I can see is the photos categories.
But if I DO login, then the videos category appears.

Do not know if that's by design or there's a glitch?

Anyway - looks like you need a separate snowMedia account, as crazy Jules suggested.
Look for the "register" button in the menu bar on snowMedia.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well the ramp out of the lake would have finished my ski career. Respect.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i cant see it either
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kiwi1 did it as well, here's his vid

Click here.
ski holidays
Hi TJon, great video.

Here is a video from the day before of a boarder throwing a 180 as he goes accross:
latest report
taratibu2, I often find that if you log into the snowMedia zone and then come back to the thread in a new window and re-click the link it works fine. You then have to click the video link and wait while the file downloads - they then usually play OK on your PC's media player
snow report
Ray Zorro, Shocked I'm surprised that they didn't all go down with hypothermia!!

What amazes me is how they knew it was do-able anyway!
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
TJon, you did well.

admin was given some video footage of others trying it and falling in and then having to strip down to their boxers to dive in to retrieve lost skis Laughing

Shocked
latest report
Megamum wrote:

I guess they don't till somebody tries rolling eyes
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Ray Zorro, Shocked I'm surprised that they didn't all go down with hypothermia!!

Had no idea it was do-able. Just knew the 160mm shovel tips on the Icelantic Shamans would give me a damn good chance to get accross. Turns out the the 30ft water crossing was much easier than the ski to the waters edge.
latest report
Quote:

Had no idea it was do-able. Just knew the 160mm shovel tips on the Icelantic Shamans would give me a damn good chance to get accross. Turns out the the 30ft water crossing was much easier than the ski to the waters edge.

Seeing Kiwi's video gave us the spur to go and try it ourselves.

Agree with Kiwi that the icy/water bit was a shed load smoother than the snowy run up.
For comparison, I did it on smaller skis Rossignol B2s ( 110mm ish shovel ) and Alan Baldock did it on similarly smaller sized skis. Then again, I'm 13stone and a bit, Kiwi's 17stone.

Mind you, half way across the long crossing I began to wonder if I had enough speed Shocked or should have gone for wider skis to make my life easier.

Wild-eyed fans of big fat skis, you may start your assault now... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I've just watched it again and it occured that you seem to be quite into the snow line - I'm surprised that the water was liquid - did it have a mineral content?
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I've just watched it again and it occured that you seem to be quite into the snow line - I'm surprised that the water was liquid - did it have a mineral content?

Not that I know. The skis I took though it were the Icelantic Shamans. They have 160mm tips, 110mm waists and 130mm tails. They're designed to allow you to keep your weight forward in the powder so I didn't change my stance at all.

Some guys followed me though on std twins (80-90mm waist) and they really sat on the tails so as not to hav e the tips dive.

I was told by the locals after that it's about 50ft deep but at the time was about 7ft deep with an ice bottom.
snow report
Quote:

My video is of our second attempt - near the edge, so quite a short section. That was water throughout.
Next run (sadly not video'd) was across the long section in the middle. 3 - 4 times wider. Some ice floating in bits on the surface, and small island of ice that you skidded across in the middle.... ...losing precious momentum.

Should be much wetter this week. Wish I was there to get soaked! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy