Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The too late, you missed it SPLASHDOWN report from Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wow! The rate of melt in the last two weeks has been amazing!
When we left a fortnight ago just about everything was open, 100% coverage above bar 1936....but this weekend Lac De Vaux and Attelas-Ruinnets was all there was. The Mont Fort glacier was open from Siviez, but not from Verbier.

With so little open there were very few people indeed. A school group from Bangalore who were at the end of their week (and at the end of their tether for their instructors!). I paused at one point and as far as I could see in any direction I was the only skier. Wierd!

The highlight of the weekend was undoubtably the lake skiing in Lac De Vaux. Not on The Lake but on a natural melt pool about half way down the black. This was no puddle splash though: waist to chest deep, about 25 metres accross. There was music rigged up, a small bar and BBQ.

A lot of skiers and boarders going for it, and a lot swimming as a result. My son caught the action on a camera phone and will post to YouTube. Some incredible efforts, one guy doing it on one ski, two Sqwalers, an instructor carrying his son. A blood wagon sled with "victim" towed accross, one guy turning 180 to switch at mid lake. The crowd were loving it!

The Boo-Hiss award went to one mean-mum who made her daughter strip down to her smalls and go back in to get her sunglasses...the poor kid was really suffering afterwards.

The wow-did-you-see-that award to Ben who skied it one ski and finished by continuing up the stream on one ski.

The oh-no-I-didn't-mean-to-do-that award to the skier who bottled it on the approach, threw in a big skid stop that needed just an extra 6 inches of snow....he just toppled in sideways just failing to stop at the edge (huge ironic cheer!)

The biggest cheer from our lot was for Rob ("I've nailed this all week") who played the odds once too often...was that bracquage you were attempting (underwater)? Maybe a hint of A Frame on entry?

It was impressive to see the Swiss Health and Safety department were fully deployed. Somebody brought a length of rope which was left coiled at the side. In the UK I really can't imagine the H&S fascists allowing this kind of fun to happen.

Weather was hot, vibe was ultra mellow. A great weekend.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The biggest cheer from our lot was for Rob ("I've nailed this all week") who played the odds once too often...was that bracquage you were attempting (underwater)? Maybe a hint of A Frame on entry?

Or the previous night's beer perchance?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BGA, I think you may know which Rob I am talking about....Andy Kershaw's neighbour.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp, indeed. And I can vouch for the comment above. Sad to have missed the fall, I was lunching with Mr S in the Furry Shovel when telephone reports of the incident came through. A good effort by all accounts. I saw the pisteurs going across earlier in the week with people strapped into the blood wagon. Fantastic. As you said, probably would have needed a three day long risk assessment to do that in the UK
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sneaky trick closing the pub on Monday, not sunday though. I'd booked my flights last August planning to close the pub as usual on the last day of the season. Apparently they did it deliberately to catch out the loads of genevoise who come up to freeload on the last night. Sunday night was still pretty big though, and I guess at least I woke up this morning with clearer head than many in Verbier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp, I skied the "lake" two weekends ago. I'VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE BUT A FRIEND WHO CAME TO vERBIER WITH US had a go and bottled it at the last minute. I followed him but went for it. It was surprisingly easy, just lean back.

So we did it another two times.

The fourth time we got there, there was a huge crowd (60'ish) watching. I thought I'd better look good this time. So I went from half way down without turning at all, so was going quite fast as I approached. At the last moment, some tool came down from the off-piste section up on the right. He went right in front of me but as I was going twice as fast as him, I had to stop to avoid a big accident.

I managed to turn but unfortunately over=-rotated and ended up on my back but carried on and apparently got about half way accross the lake before I sank!!!

As I got up I heard roars of laughter and applause from all and sundry (including those on the chairlift). I could either sulk or get on with it. So I bowed several times and took the applause.

Absolute quality and accordin g to my mate, the funniest tyhing he has ever seen.

We came down again after I'd drained my boots and three of us went accross at the same time. Unfortunately most people had gone by then but at least I made my peace with the water!

Without doubt one of the greatest memories that I will have for life!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jack Hallam,

Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good effort Jack!

The riders said that by sunday the lake was at least twice the size it had been a few days before.
On sunday I'd put the sink/ski ratio at about 40% sinkers, 60% skiers.
As most skiers went accross a few times the odds caught up with almost everybody in the end!

Well done for even attempting it...I chickened out... Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did it on Sunday too, twice. First run was straight out gunning it. Second time, switch. Almost rode it to the road too Wink

Really should have taken my teles up for it, it was nice to ski on the last day though, first time since January.

I'll see if I can get the video from a friend of mine...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy