Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bright sun, bright snow - and chapped lips

Poster: A snowHead
Back from glorious days at the EOSB - and badly chapped lips. Lippy from the ski shops didn't help that much. Anybody know of something better? Is the zinc cream used by Ozzie cricketers available from Chemists like Boots?

Health & First Aid wrote:
Alternatively, Zinc cream gives virtually 100% protection and is often used by sports men and women on the most exposed body part, eg Shane Warne.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always suffered from chapped lips & now use Piz Buin's sun lipstick (which is factor 20) all year round. It's expensive but last a long time & is by far the best of all the one's I've tried.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use Blisteze and its usually ok. my problem is now peeling ears and nose Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, I remember you mentioning this, I'm going into town tomorrow and I shall ask at boots!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I took my daughter to the dentists and her lips were terribly chapped - they recommended the vitamin E capsules you can buy at vitamin counters in Boots, Superdrug, Holland and Barrat etc. Pierce the capsules and rub the oil on the lips - it tastes vaguely of fish oil ('cos that's where they get it from), but it works. Note that it is a healing preparation only and confers no sun protection. It's brilliant. We also use the oil from the capsules on sore skin areas on ourselves and our animals - the poor skin on our rescued dog responded brilliantly. Note that the capsules are not the cheapest vitamin on sale, but worth every penny for healing the lips.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I think achilles is referring to preventing it happening, rather than curing it once its happened.
(though I do need some now! so thanks for the advice!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
george_1, For healing, the sap in an aloe vera leaf is brilliant too. But first you need to have an aloe vera plant - that may cost more than a pack of Vitamin E caps!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jokes aside use Vaseline pure petroleum jelly to keep your lips moist. A tiny dab is enough to coat both lips.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to get chapped lips when I went skiing, and I thought it was because they were drying out - having come to the conclusion that it was a sunburn problem I started using the Piz Bruin lipstick and that seems to have sorted the problem out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
samharris recommended I use Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream for lips when she took pity on me at the EoSB (I always get chapped lips, and this time was particularly bad). She said it's the best stuff she's found for preventing chapped lips. I tried to buy some at Geneva airport (a vaguely embarrassing experience) but they only had the coloured lipstick versions, and I thought that if I got home wearing pink lipstick and having to explain unusual yoga photos I might get some searching questions from my girlfriend!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing we were wondering if you had mustered the courage to go and ask for some Laughing Perhaps send Jane before next season wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
samharris wrote:
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing we were wondering if you had mustered the courage to go and ask for some Laughing Perhaps send Jane before next season wink

I did ask and was only mildly alarmed when the delightful sales assistant asked me what colour I liked.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Virgin give out really nice stuff in upper class, looks like a cross between blisteeze and lip balm

not sure if you can buy it anywhere, as an upper class trip to new york would make it a pricey solution Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vaseline
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, I've got a load of zinc cream on it's way to me from a mate I do business with in Australia. It's coming pack in with a load fo car, truck and motorcycle air filters!
snow conditions
achilles, try Aloe-Up lip sunscreen - pricey but seems to work very well. And tastes nice!
latest report
I will second the Elizabeth Arden Lip balm, as I always used to get sore lips. Kids and hubby nick it if it isn't tinted. Also the 8 hour cream is good for sore skin , esp the bit where your zip rubs on your chin.
latest report
achilles, I'd second Blitzeze - works brilliantly on chapped lips Very Happy
snow conditions
achilles, you can't have approached the EoSB properly. If you had a beer glass to your lips more of the time then there would have been no sunburn problem Cool
ski holidays
jmdohanlon, I couldn't get a glass round each of my eyes rolling eyes
snow report
all the expensive ones do a good job and reliveing the discomfort.. but to actually cure it then its good old pretroleum jelly everytime..
snow report
achilles,

if petemillis, can get his mate to send it then Ego Pharmaceuticals in australia make a product called QV lip sunscreen ... it is in a pink and white tube... goes on a little white... but stays on for AGES... and the top is applicator shaped making it easy to reapply. The ONLY thing that stops my friend getting coldsores(she lives in the mountains and has tried EVERYTHING)... they also make a QV lip cream thing that is in a blue tube and not bad... but not as long lasting as the pink one... it is a litle more moisturising though...

The zinc cream is GREAT for packing into nostrils and ears if you spend a lot of time on ice (my brother was an ice climber) Twisted Evil

Blistex make (made) a clear max lipgloss thingy that stuck really well and some american mob make one in a funny tube that you shove up by putting finger in its bottom Shocked that also sticks really well... but the QV lip sunscreen is best (titanium dioxide rocks!)
snow conditions
Thanks to everybody for their contributions on this. To get round my immediate problem, I have taken PisteHead's advice - and pooped down to Tesco's and bought some Vaseline. Seems to be working. For future protection, QV lip sunscreen seems to be worth a look - thanks little tiger .
snow report
The next time you are skiing - at least if it's in France or Switzerland - pop into a pharmacy and get yourself some "Dermophil" lip balm. You can only get it in the pharmacy as far as I'm aware and it cost about 5 / 6 euros a tube.

This is by far and away the best lip balm that I have ever used. Never any problems when I have it on. Even if i go a couple of days without and get cracked lips, this stuff will clear it up within 3 to 4 hours - amazing stuff.

Comes in a dark green tube with a white top and you can also get some sun-resistant Dermophil (but I have never used this).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy