Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

September Skiing at Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
You all have been very helpful to me before. Now I've got another dumb question.

Is the lift-served glacier skiing at Tignes open all year round? There's a fair chance that my wife and I will be in the general area around the middle of this September. I would love to be able to ski for a morning if it's going to be open.

I've Googled the place quite a bit and it LOOKS like there's lift-served skiing there in September, but I can't tell for sure.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No I don't think there is any skiing. I believe they close of the glacier lifts in September for maintenance. Skiing stops at the end of the school holidays at the end of August, and opens again at the first weekend in October.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not in september
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry the resort is closed in September.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're planning going in October just be careful, it can be packed! I've only ever been in half term week, but loads of UK racers go out to train plus national squads tend to be out there in preparation for the start of the world cup circuit. The queues for the funicular at 7:30am is manic, it seems that if you're at the back when the doors open and you push hard enough you might get in first!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Static wrote:
If you're planning going in October just be careful, it can be packed! I've only ever been in half term week, but loads of UK racers go out to train plus national squads tend to be out there in preparation for the start of the world cup circuit. The queues for the funicular at 7:30am is manic, it seems that if you're at the back when the doors open and you push hard enough you might get in first!

It's similar to that in November, outside of the half-term holidays. Lots of clubs and junior/senior national squads using the Grand Motte. Just have to accept it unfortunately, it just seems to be part and parcel of the package.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Static,

If you are going half term week be smart get to the funicular after 10.00am, walk straight on, and ski later. Most of the race teams finish at mid-day leaving the pistes very quiet Very Happy

No point in getting there at 7.30 as the first funicular, 8.00am, is for coaches & national team members.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward wrote:
Static,

If you are going half term week be smart get to the funicular after 10.00am, walk straight on, and ski later. Most of the race teams finish at mid-day leaving the pistes very quiet Very Happy

No point in getting there at 7.30 as the first funicular, 8.00am, is for coaches & national team members.

But even in November if you're there much after 7.55am there's no guarantee you'll get onto the first train. It's worse than my commute into London!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, everybody.

Thanks for the answers. I had also sent an email to the Tignes resort asking the same question and here is their response:

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interests for Tignes.

Unfortunately the glacier skiing area is closed from 3 September to 28 September.

Best Regards

Tignes Reservation"

So, I guess there'll be no skiing at Tignes for me this September. Nevertheless, thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond and also for giving me some advice about skiing there in October some time.

Any other suggestions for someplace I could ski a day around the middle of September? I skied one day at Zermatt last September and had a great time IN SPITE OF the couldn't-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face fog. From what I've been able to tell with a web search, Saas Fee also has summer skiing, as well as Solden, Austria. Any others?

Even more interesting, can anyone suggest a guide who could do this for me: It would be great if we (my wife and I) could hire a guide who could take us up a lift somewhere in the Alps, ski down a snowfield or easier glacier, and then walk or hike back to our point of origination, all in one day? We're both fairly good skiers in good physical condition. We've done lots of skiing in "unusual" snow conditions and we've done enough climbing to be reasonably comfortable in more exposed situations.

Does anybody know of a guide and a resort where something like this is possible?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bob Peters,
Quote:

Even more interesting, can anyone suggest a guide who could do this for me: It would be great if we (my wife and I) could hire a guide who could take us up a lift somewhere in the Alps, ski down a snowfield or easier glacier, and then walk or hike back to our point of origination, all in one day? We're both fairly good skiers in good physical condition. We've done lots of skiing in "unusual" snow conditions and we've done enough climbing to be reasonably comfortable in more exposed situations.

That may be possible in Saas Fee, when I've skiied there in summer there have quite often been people being guided up the Allalin. Not sure how easy it is to ski down in summer/autumn as there are some serious crevasses around but the guide bureau in Saas Fee will no doubt be able to help you out with this. The summer skiing in Saas Fee is very good, last August we had two powder days with 40cm+ of fresh snow overnight down to about 2700m. If you do go to Saas Fee I would certainly recommend the Ferinart Hotel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bob Peters, Hintertux advertises that it is open 365 days a year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bob Peters, I have skied Hintertux end of September. Frankly I don't think it's worth the effort! September is probably the worst time conceivable to ski. The glacier is in a pretty awful state by the end of the summer, and unless you are lucky and get some snow you will probably spend your time wondering about how dirty a glacier can look!
I've also skied Kaprun and Stubai in August with the same result.
Besides, if this weather continues the way it is right now there probably wont be a glacier by September Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bob Peters, If it has to be September then it would have to be Zermatt or maybe Hintertux, but it's true that the conditions on all the glaciers are likely to be pretty dodgy then. Of course if it's really cold all summer and snows a lot (can happen), then we might be allright. If it keeps snowing (must be snowing up top as it's pi**sing down here) all spring .... However I notice you're from over the pond so I guess you were planning a ski along with another reason for visiting. Of course there's always the PSB here in All Saints' week. Beginning of November. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
septmeber is, indeed, the worst month of the year for skiing in Europe.
If you really have to ski, Zermatt or Hintertux are the only realistic options.
But I can think of many better ways to spend some time in France in september ! I'll let my gear at home.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Many thanks to several of you at SnowHeads.

Due to your suggestions and due also to the "9 Volcanoes" thread, I've been in contact with a guide who had what sounds like a great suggestion.

We're pretty well hooked up to visit Saas Fee. While there, we'll go with the guide to the top of the Metro Alpin train and then skin/boot/hike to the top of Allalin Horn. The guide says we can then ski down from the peak into the Allalin Sommerski ski area, ride their lifts back to the arrival station for the Metro Alpin, and then ride back down the mountain in style. It sounds perfect for what I wanted.

Also, I certainly understand the concerns of those of you who are warning me that the conditions will be poor-to-lousy that time of year. I may not have mentioned it, but I'm one of these crazy people who ski once a month all through the year. I started it as a lark and it's just, ahem, snowballed for many years now. Assuming I make it that far, this September will mark my tenth consecutive year of skiing at least once a month. With that in mind, I felt that a somewhat "special" skiing event was called for this year and since we're going to be in Switzerland anyway, this seemed like the way to observe the occasion.

So again, thanks to those of you who gave me some ideas. I'm pretty excited.
latest report
Bob Peters, sounds terrific. Hope you have a great trip to Switzerland Smile
snow report
Bob Peters, excellent plan, I've skiied that area in September and it's been absolutely fine. The only problem I've ever come across is high winds closing the lifts up to the Metro Alpin funicular. I'm sure the guide will tell you this but by doing that route you go from just under 1800m to about 3600m in approx 20 mins. When you get to the top of the Metro Alpin take it easy! You'll have a great time.

Like the idea of skiing at least one day a month as well. I'll only miss out on four months this year, something to aim for next year perhaps
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy