Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carbon Poles

Poster: A snowHead
I discovered on my last trip that you can actually break carbon ski poles. Had to buy a pair of cheap make do poles for the last 3 days of my trip.
Anyone got any recommendations on non aluminium poles?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why non-aluminium?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also want to know which ones he broke and how.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 composite poles are good. They're made by Shakespeare who make fishing rods, which are impressively resilient.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bob, Mrs S has Leki Titanium, seems to like them. I've got Dynastar/Kerma Carbon/Glassfibre composites, pretty good also. Also interested how you busted them and why no ali.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I managed to bend my alu poles all over the shop in my six weeks just from aggressively skiing, so i'm wondering why people are questioning carbon? (mine were salomon ones fwiw) Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I switched to some Goode composite poles but am thinking of going back to ali ones. I find the composite ones feel too bendy and the tips are absolutely rubbish at gripping hardpack when poling (both factors may be down to operator error but such is life)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have some Atomic aluminium run-of-the-mill poles (made by Leki?) that have lasted me through 3 pairs of skis in the last 7 years. They're as light as carbon pole but slightly thicker in diameter. They're nice and swingy and I've replaced the small baskets for powder baskets. Smile

Meanwhile my friends continually bend and break theirs and go out buying flashier and 'more technical' models. Does this mean:

1. I have a pathetically light pole-plant,
2. I don't lean far enough down the hill or
3. I don't crash enough? Laughing

Surely if you ski aggressively with your poles i.e. stabbing them into the snow like you're trying to harpoon a hog, you risk dislocating a shoulder. Madeye-Smiley Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm using run of the mill Salomon alu poles and have done for donkey's ears. Not managed to bend one yet, even though I use them hard.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick W, that's because you have bendy composite ones as opposed to stiff carbon or stiff composite other than carbon ones.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All,
As daft as it seems I actually broke them as I was getting off of a chairlift. I was sitting on them to stop them falling whilst I was fiddling, when I came to get off I couldn't move them quick enough and one off them snapped under the strain of trying to support my weight. Embarassed

They were a pair of Scott poles, can't remember which ones, I'd had them for about 5-6 years. Grips had worn through, shafts covered in scratches, straps freying. I invested in these after I found that I was getting silly little bends in te aluminium saft poles, and we all know what happens if you try to straighten a bent Alu shaft.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, True enough which is why I have now cut the ends off, attached rubber bungs and am now using them for dry sloping!
What to get now?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex,

it's quite easy to snap carbon poles, all you need is a few chips/cuts across them with a ski edge and they can shear. I still have a pair and I cover the chips with duck tape as they appear. i wouldn't by another pair - cheap no nonsense alu is fine by me. I bought a pair of Trab touring poles from telemark Pyrennees - one piece (no length adjustable nonsense adding weight and creating weakness), nice comfy foam wrap down the pole for traversing and big baskets, mine for 30 euro

J
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm about to put in my orders for poles for next season. How about some snowheads carbon poles Laughing (I kid you not)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kiwi1 wrote:
I'm about to put in my orders for poles for next season. How about some snowheads carbon poles Laughing (I kid you not)

I would buy as I need some new poles
latest report
kiwi1 wrote:

What will make them uniquely snowHeads?
latest report
branded snowheads at the factory.
snow conditions
I have Decathlon carbon poles; so cheap I can not remember ( €25??)... bought to replace Ally poles I bent to b*****y and back last year .... most importantly they do not fly as far when you through them in a temper .... apart from that , so what ?
ski holidays
I had a carbon pole once. It had a very small basket - that reduced my carbon pole footprint.
The handle wasn't screwed on straight, so it was a carbon pole offset as well.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Did it make you fart every time you planted your pole? If so, then any carbon pole offset will have been far outweighed by methane emissions.
snow conditions
Mind you, I suppose if you dragged your carbon pole then the carbon pole scrubbing may have removed some of the carbon from your emissions.
ski holidays
Quote:

How about some snowheads carbon poles (I kid you not)

kiwi1, Yes I would be intrested as mine have both got bends in them rolling eyes but please can we have pixie sizes e.g 110cms (pretty, please nicely Little Angel )
snow report
Bob, I have my Leki Aeros and love them. They are half composite, half aluminum and have the great Trigger grips.
snow conditions
jedster, yet to break a CF pole shaft, have done plenty of plastic ferrules. I am convinced that lunchtime racks and open metalwork walkways are as big a hazard as skiing proper, if not bigger.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy