Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for Mixed Group - Early Mar 08

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice as to which is the best resort for a group of mixed ability adults in early March next year?

For the last four years we have gone to Pamporovo in Bulgaria, and while we have always had a fantastic time, we think it's time to spread our wings and find somewhere with a bit more terrain to explore.

The main items for consideration are:

Good terrain for beginners to higher intermediates
Good apres ski (but would like to steer clear of "ibiza type" winter hol destinations)
Not too expensive

Any suggestions would be great, I can do a bit more research then.

Cheers!
Nuts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Somewhere in Andorra (but not Pas de la Casa if you want to avoid the Ibiza-crowd); Cervinia, Livigno or La Thuile in Italy; friends of mine also raved about Saalbach in Austria, but I can't comment on how expensive it is. Most of the large french resorts would be alright but apres is hit & miss and they are rarely cheap, unless you can get a late deal.

Pamporovo is so tiny virtually any alpine ski area will be an improvement! Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nuts, Would that be a group of mixed 'Nuts'?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wpuld second Cervinia although the apres was a bit dead when we were there. I would also recommend Les Arcs, either 1800 or 2000. Some lovely beginner slopes and the whole of the Pardiski area for the more experienced.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nuts, I had a similar dilema this year and ended up in Livigno

Relatively cheap, lots of skiing for beginners and intermediates, and a good few bars and restaurants for the apres.
The only downer is the 4 hour transfer, but it wasn't as bad as i thought it was.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Soll would be good

http://www.ifyouski.com/Resorts/View/?objectid=12004

Not expensive.
About an hour from Innsbruck, 2 hours from Munich.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We took a mixed group to Mayrhofen two years ago, plenty of good skiing, plenty of lively aprres.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, we're definitely a bunch of mixed nuts! NehNeh

Cheers guys for these suggestions, it gives me something to start working with.

I know probably anything will be good compared to Pamps terrain but even so I'm having trouble dragging a few of them away from it just because we've always had such a good time.

Anyone have any more? Keep them coming!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Austria, Austria or Austria!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We would be very happy to help you in our chalet in Alpe d'Huez which is a fantastic area for mixed ablity groups. For more infomation please have a look at our website or PM me for more details. We always give special discounts to Snowheads and currently have some great early booking offers running. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nuts, there are so many resorts that would suit, you are probably better off asking about places to avoid!
I'll start - of the places I've skied, I wouldn't rate the following for being that great for total or near beginners:

Zermatt; Courmayeur; MonteRosa (Champoluc/Gressoney/Alagna); BadGastein

They've all got ski schools and nursery slopes, but not much terrain for those looking to progress from the nursery.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would second the Soll suggestion, we had a great new year there a couple of years back. The only reservation I'd have is it isnt brilliant for complete beginners.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nuts, I'm not the best person to ask being slightly contrarian but...

the Portes du Soleil is worth checking out esp. Morzine & Avoriaz. As I think would be Les Houches & St Gervais (although those two might lack adequately robust apres ski?).

I will disagree with the ice perv, as I reckon that Champoluc (Monterosa) is quite good for early-intermediate stage skiers. It's also good value.

When are you thinking of? As that might have a bit of a bearing...(Ah, yes, early March it would be then? - you have as much chance of having predictable sno then as anytime so little bearing at all. Just avoid the Vacances Scolaires unless you can't).

Failing hopelessly on the apres front but with good varied and well kept skiing would be Bacqueira-Beret.

Good luck. Organising groups is particularly thankless IME...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nuts, what not try Les Deux Alpes - I think it would hit all the items you have listed and you can always get plenty of detail from easiski.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been to quite a few places in Austria and can vouch for the apres ski!

Good apres can be found in: Mayrhofen, Saalbach, Soll, Ischgl, Kitzbuhel. All of these resorts have some character too.

All 5 would be ok for beginners, I've taken a group of beginners to Soll and they were fine. So fine in fact they insisted on going back the following year! The only issue here is that you may have to take a bus to the lift which can be a hassle unless you stay very close to it.

I would say Kitz was probably the least beginner friendly especially if the nursery slopes are patchy and you have to learn higher up. I've poled more here than anywhere and it was the most crowded skiing I've experienced. That's not to say it wasn't good, it was, but maybe not for complete beginners. Gorgeous town though.

Mayrhofen ski area is more spread out so which makes it difficult to meet up as a group on the slopes, but the Ahorn area is very good for beginners. Good value accommodation here but with excellent standards. You may need to use the bus to get to the Penken or Ahorn lifts depending on where you stay. But intermediates get to pick from loads of resorts in the Zillertal which have good transport links. If you get there by 8.30 there aren't any queues.

Saalbach will meet everyones needs but it isn't as cheap as Soll or Mayrhofen in terms of accommodation. It's very compact and all skiers will appreciate the very short walk to all 3 lifts out of town if you stay fairly central. It would be easy to meet up and there are plenty of wide blues to progress to from the nursery slopes.

Ischgl is the most expensive in terms of getting and staying there but more than ticks all the boxes. I would say that it's fine for beginners with a nursery slope and plenty of easy blues in the Idalpe area and is also snowsure. The lift network is excellent and the intermediate skiing is the best I've come across.

Food and drink prices are similar in all the resorts.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 26-04-07 14:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

I will disagree with the ice perv, as I reckon that Champoluc (Monterosa) is quite good for early-intermediate stage skiers.

No, no, no David Murdoch, the party includes beginners as well. MonteRosa is mainly intermediate, and has a rubbish piste map and sign-posting: those poor beginners will have to get the rickety chairlift up to the nursery above Champoluc and will end up on reds and they will never be the same again! Yes it is cheap but the apres is v quiet. There are plenty more options that are far better.
ski holidays
Excellent guys, I am really going to do my homework now and suss out all places mentioned. Luckily time is on my side!
snow report
the ice perv, uh? What rickety chair? You're talking about Frachey not Crest. And there's always (maybe) Antagnod. Piste map is fine as you can't get lost. Champoluc great for beginners, as have taken many there. Apres ski not huge by Austrian standards but there's always pool at the West Road.
ski holidays
Nuts, What about Selva which is part of the Sella Ronda. We have booked to there again next year; this will be our third time. Selva has excellent nursery slopes with some accommodation right next to them. For the more experienced of your group, there is the whole sella ronda and associated resorts to explore like Arabba, Canazei, Val Di Fassa, etc. 1200km of piste. Selva is not bad for things to do of an evening either!!
snow conditions
David Murdoch, yeah you're right I was thinking about the Frachey chair. Embarassed
I still think there are plenty of better options than MonteRosa tho.
snow report
We have been looking for the same kinda thing. What about Bardonecchia?
snow report
the ice perv, I disagree - I learned to ski in Gressoney, and had a great holiday Madeye-Smiley

Nuts, IMO Tignes is a great place for a mixed ability group - beginners to experts, ski in ski out and good apres ski. snowHead
snow conditions
Personally I like Tignes, however for advanced beginners (week 2) I would go somewhere else.

Total beginners are catered for mostly everywhere. Advanced skiers will always find something to challenge them. Second week skiers are the hardest to book for. Tignes for me does not give that catagory of skier many runs that would not scare them sh****ess.

I would put my spoke in for Selva, but again the above is also a problem.

Soll would be my choice, great nightlife too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy