Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from a week.

Conditions are excellent with most runs open and virtually the whole of the resort skiable everywhere. The weather was superb with no wind and unbroken sunshine. In the afternoons cumulous cloud built up from the thermal activity, but always in the distance.

Freezing levels were mostly in excess of 3,000m with only slight frost at night. The consequence is fabulous spring skiing everywhere. West and south facing slopes do however get saturated and some areas are prone to slab avalanche late in the day.

Skied all the off piste classics except the Gorge Malpasset which is closed. Even the Piste Purdue, that half ski run/half caving trip was doable with only a few walking sections.

The pick of the bunch were Cugnai (classic water splash just outside the hut), Genepy, Puys Desert, Tour de Charvet (before 12pm) and the awesome 1000m Col Vallon (all afternoon) right down to La Fornet.

Tools of choice at this time of year are fat skis but particularly Monoskis. Our 62 year old descended the 1000m between the Col Vallon and La Fornet on his 20 yr old Rossignol 195m in 7minutes! Non of the rest of the group on fat skis, alpine toruring kit, telemarks, carving skis or snow boards could touch that !

Look out for the eagles in the Charvet, herds of ibex behind La Fornet and Marmotts everywhere !

Our group were a mature bunch of mostly retirees. Our oldest member was also one of the fastest and at 75 yrs now gets a free lift pass. That has to be good value for 60,000m of vertical in the week !

We only had two ‘southern softies’ in the chalet, but managed to entice them out of their shells and show them some of resorts excellent off piste skiing by the end of the week.

I’d forgotten just how good April skiing can be. For anyone going out in the next two weeks there should be plenty of skiable terrainbefore the end of the season and probably beyond. The touring conditions are currently perfect- if perhaps a bit hot.

Why doesn’t everyone ski at this time of the year ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll back you up on what you say here having just got back from val myself, see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=440
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
>> Why doesn’t everyone ski at this time of the year

Sshh, don't tell everybody, skiing is all done after half term Wink

regards,

Greg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yeah its always pretty good in Val/tignes this time of year
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Came back yesterday and it was excellent, snow generally great, fantastic cover and gorgeous weather.

What a great place to ski at this time of year Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just spoke to my son, who is cleaning his kitchen at the end of the season. He said conditions up the top on the Fornet Glacer were fantastic today, with fresh snow. Loads of mud and grass further down, of course.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy