Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Absent for a while

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry folks, I've not been on Snowheads for a while.

The reason is I've been training very hard for my aerobics instructor qualification. The good news is that this weekend I completed the first of wo modules, and passed my theory exam with 97% (top marks for the group). I've one more module to go, then an assessment in May, but it is looking good at the moment. I just have to keep my fitness up.

Of course one component of this could be trips to the Snowdome wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well done, docsquid. Are you doing this out of interest, or for a future job? Not a very well paid one compared to being a doc?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, it won't be much of a job, as I'm only allowed to do paid work 16 hours a week or I lose my pension (I'm retired). However I've really wanted to be an aerobics instructor for years as I've been doing aerobics since it was called "keep fit" and Step since it was invented. This is my first chance to do it after retiring - I was going to do it last year but Mum was ill - she died in February this year. The trigger was the shortage of Step instructors leading to classes that I attend being cancelled. One of the instructors is going on maternity leave in June and I need to be qualified in aerobics and Step before then to cover her class while she is off.

The plan is to be a "supply teacher" for a while, and get some experience of different types of classes. I have been offered the chance to set up a new class at one local gym, but there is no hurry, and I want to get used to covering for the Step class first - maybe when that finishes I could set up my own class and the gym members will then already know me and come to the new class.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
docsquid, I know what yu mean about a shortage of Step teachers. Now it is not so popular. our gym has reduced the no of sessions to one per week, not because the classes couldn't be filled, but because there was no-one to teach them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, yes it's the same with us - the classes are packed to overflowing with a waiting list whenever you try and book, but there are just no instructors because they all want to be personal trainers or teach Body Combat - now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Combat or Attack or whatever, it's just that there is a demand for Step that isn't being met by instructors. I love Step because you can get a decent workout without the impact (just make the step higher up to a point), and with bad knees this is a blessing for me. If I do aerobics with the lo impact options it doesn't always make me breathe heavily (that depends on the choreography, of course).

I think if I set up a Step class of my own, there'd be plenty of takers for it.

I think people perceive Step as being "complicated" and a hard workout with no easy options but that isn't true, if the tutor is any good. Besides, I'd advertise a 15 minute session before the main class to get new people used to the basic moves (basic steps, knee raises, repeaters and so on), so they can do something, even if I start twiddling and turning, as I'll always give the easier alternatives. I'd actively look for men to come to the class too, as my husband does Step and loves it, but most men are put off by the choreography. I'd attract them by putting in a section of "power step" where they can really work hard, if they want to - simple moves with lots of repeats - lunges, squats, knee repeaters, leg lifts and so on.

My main worry was seeing myself instruct in the mirror and realise I look like a bouncing loony, and in need of a straitjacket, so I must calm down a bit, or that will put people off too!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
docsquid, nothing wrong with enthusiasm!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
docsquid, Well done on doing well - hope the rest of the qualification goes OK too. I can see you'll have to do the warm up routines at the snowHead 's events in the future - 6:30 am on the slope, build a snow bench and they're off!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well done docsquid, Keep up the good work. You are most definately right about the shortage of step instructors. Its not only that it's also that there is a major shortage of GOOD step instructors. A lot of them in my experience have become far too dance based in their choreography which, in the clubs that I teach in is a major problem. People just don't want to do a class that has them spinning like whirling dervishes and has them so dizzy that they can't carry on. All most of the 'punters' want is a basic step class with some good variety and decent intensity.

If you set up your own simple step class you would make an absolute fortune. Get yourself qualified and crack on I say. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stocky, absolutely. I lose interest in exercise VERY easily and found step held my interest because I had to think about what I was doing. Maybe I'll hunt out the step from the garage, and get the videos out again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
docsquid, Well done on the theory, and good luck with the rest.

I did my ETM back in 1999, and have gone on to teach step, spinning, Bodypump, swiss ball, seniors and pre/post natal as well as the usual "aerobics". I did it as an addition to my "proper job" (civil engineering), but now combine being a mum with working part time in engineering and a few classes as well.

There are still lots of us around that teach step, but you are right in saying that it's not as in favour as some of the other types of class.

Sometimes it's a great job, and at others times it's the most thankless task in the world. Covering classes can be the worst - you'd be surprised how much people only want their usual instructor and don't want to do anything different, and I'm afraid to say that step classes are probably the worst in this respect. The "die hard" steppers want choreography and spins and all, and if you don't deliver then there can be trouble (especially at the private clubs) On the other hand if you make it too hard and the back row people don't get it then they don't get a workout and so are still not happy - alternatively they might just not like your music! You need to have a thick skin!

Don't get me wrong, I love teaching my saturday morning step class, and there's a buzz after a sucessful class that is hard to beat.

I definately agree that there needs to be introduction or beginner classes, but sometimes the timetable won't allow this, especially with the pressures of the BTS classes (combat attack etc etc) as you've already mentioned.

My advice would be to accept the offer of that new class, as your own classes are the most fun to teach. You are lucky in that it sounds like you'll know a lot of the participants in class you'll be covering, so that will be nice

Good luck with the rest of the training, and with the classes, with the enthusiasm that you've obviously got for this I'm sure you are going to be a great instructor
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to attend a Step class at the local leisure centre, at 5.30pm on a Sunday - a great time because there's absolutely nothing else happening, especially in the winter, and still back in time to cook supper. Then we went abroad for three years, did other things, bought a ski chalet, spent lots of time sailing, etc etc. I went back last November, and - guess what? Nothing had changed. Same instructor (a bit fatter), same routines. I really enjoyed it (especially as I hadn't got fatter!). But there weren't many customers, I noticed. One woman, who usefully knew absolutely all the routines, so I could keep an eye on her, had obviously been going every Sunday for the last five years. We had a man in the class once - he kept going the wrong way and crashed into his neighbour (who was going the right way over the box lengthways) at one point. Maybe it was his wife and she didn't bring him the next time... I once went to a class in a city centre gym in Sydney, when I was staying in a hotel, working. It was very different from my local leisure centre. Taught by a gorgeous black man in skin tight stuff, full of gays, and so highly choreographed that I felt like a beginner dancer in the chorus of the Royal Ballet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for the positive vibes. I've wanted to do this for years, but while I was working it was impossible. Since I took ill health retirement last year, it has taken a while to build up the necessary fitness, but now I've got the fitness and the time (although not always the good health), it seemed like an ideal opportunity.

The gym I've been offered the class (and will be covering for the instructor) is very friendly, a "spit and sawdust" gym with an aerobics studio upstairs. I know what you mean about people wanting the same thing, but this lot are willing to try anything and there are three men regularly attending the class too - they've been going for years and still go the wrong way on a regular basis, but they enjoy it. The gym owner is very flexible, and the timetable isn't very full, as there aren't always classes right through the evening.

I like dance-style choreography very much, but I also like the simple moves and an option would be to make one class more dancey and the other more power-step/simple moves in style. I expect I'll get it wrong some of the time, but at least if I get through the final bit of this course and my final assessment in May, I'll be able to try instructing and see how it goes.

I have also been told if I learn BodyStep then I'll get a lot of cover, as there are few teachers and classes are always packed. I'd like to find my feet for a little while before I take this on, but the other gym I attend would be very keen to find at least one more Step instructor, and they would also allow a freestyle step class as cover if I hadn't learned BodyStep yet. I go to at least two BodyStep classes each week anyway, so am very familiar with it (as well as the Pump, conditioning and freestyle classes).

Men in step classes - I remember when I started doing step many years ago, a bloke came to the class in full Man U kit including the socks. He said he was coming back from injury and wanted something nice and gentle. The instructor mentioned he might find it a bit difficult, but he stated the opinion that if it is done by a bunch of ladies in leotards (yes, it was that long ago), then it must be pretty easy. He gave up after about 15 minutes, very red in the face from exertion, and totally unable to keep up Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy