Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to 360

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone explain to me how to do one of those 360 degree spins on skis? I mean the controlled and intentional ones, not the other sort that I've done many of over the years.

I'm guessing its down to managing the edges and the forward/backward weight distribution.

Is it just a case of trying it and falling over a lot until it comes right?

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WiRED, hmmm - I was actually taught it this year by 2 different instructors - I still can't do it! They must have thought it was something I needed to do!

Key apparently is not to have edges - keep your skis flat. Practice first of all sliding backwards on a gentle slope. Then on same gentle slope, ski down, turn up the slope and slide down backwards. From there its an easy step Shocked to slide down backwards and turn round facing forwards. Peasy! wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WiRED, keeping your skis really flat is the key for me. Keep off the edges unless you want to do turns going backwards , which feel counterintuitive but are ok. A little flick round your pole with very flat skis will initiate.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A tip from Glen Plake - keep "spotting", ie keep your eyes (head) looking to the end of the turn.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plus make sure you have a little speed up. We started by using the pole to help us round, ski backwards a few feet and then the harder return to normal skiing position. As you get better just get used to the turning as stated above. You do tend to catch edges and fall over a lot though during the learning curve.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
After 4hrs dry slope then 9 days Austrian ski school my instructer started to teach us 180 & 360 turns,i thought i was out of my deapth but as was explained flat skis and more practise will help a great deal. The pole will help turn as well and watch your edges. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WiRED, when I started doing them it was accidentaly, after stopping on my edges and over rotating.

I then harnessed the power of freestyle and I am now better than candide thovex.

(maybe the second part was a slight lie)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One tip I was given for doing it is to look up. (at least when you are learning) - don't look down at your skis, but up at the trees, or the sky.

That might help.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As an opposite view, I was taught this in ski school by going from edge to edge, with the emphasis on getting the ankle joint working. So, inside edge to 180 to flat to opposite (new inside) edge for second 180.

This works OK, but I've only been able to do this well with some rental skis.

Anyway, after some time I've come round to the view that keeping the skis flat is actually much easier. Pace and gradient are important too. I find medium->fast jog for speed and average blue for gradient (less and you can scrape off too much speed and limp round) to be the easiest combination.

Be careful of the poles! I've got tangled up a couple of times and had some real "WHUUUMP" slam falls which are of course side-splittingly-pant-wettingly hilarious for the people you were trying to show off to, but can be painful snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
360's pah easy as you like... .
on a board wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never really hacked them. An objective for the EOSB!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
360s seems like a favourite stunt amongst the instructors I've had - as at least 3 of them have got me practicing this little trick.

As others have mentions, keep your skis flat.

Also, keep your feet close together during the spin (This is the best bit of advice that I've been given).

Also, a good way of learning is not to go straight into trying to pull-off perfect 360s:
Start by making a gentle medium turn (on a gentle slope) - keep going until you start to turn up the hill. At this point bring your feet together + flatten the skis and using your upper body try and spin the last part, so you're facing down the hill again. Hopefully the turn up the hill should give you a little momentum. Once you've got that bit cracked, it just about making the first 180 quicker and neater.

I should point out, that I'm no expert - I'm just relaying what instructors have told me.

Good luck!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How to 360?

Build up speed approaching the kicker, start to turn before your skis leave the snow........oh, not THAT type of 360 wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, lots of useful advice here. It's a shame I'm not going to get to practise this until next season, but I'll come back and re-read all of this before I go away. Anyone ever tried it on a plastic slope?

Elizabeth B, err no, I thought I'd get to grips with the horizontal type before trying the vertical version Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CANV CANVINGTON, Ah...Ha....I was going to ask if it was likely to be easier on a board.
latest report
Everyone on here is wrong. Shocked

By far the EASIEST way to do a 360 on skis is to do a 720, but stop half way. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
What helped me when i was learning them was being told to "lean hard forward then lean hard back"
It doesn't need to be that hard a lean but it really helps.
snow report
It's funny but with all the extreme skiing and leaps in 'parks'? etc. these days when I first read the thread I did wonder in what direction the 360 would be!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy