Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

40th Birthday - Wengen or Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Time to decide.

As a treat for my 40th my gorgeous wife is treating me to a downhill spectacular. Sadly there is no race the weekend of my birthday, but Wengen falls the weekend before and Kitzbuhel the weekend after.

We only want to go for 3 nights (Thu-Sun). Therein sits the first challenge, finding a nice hotel prepared to give a room for 3 nights on premier race weekend !

If it's not possible to stay in town, has anyone experience or knowledge of staying a little further away and travelling for the race. I'm thinking maybe staying at Zell am Zee for Kitz, then a 45 min train ride into Kitbuhel for race day, decent enough skiing at Zell for the other days.

Or for Wengen, maybe stay down the valley in Lauterbrunnen or even in Murren / Grindelwald ?

If anyone has been to either of these events it would be great to hear from you. thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll swap you, sheffield can't be worse than wengen on race weekend.

Seriously, I would book it now as every bed in town is normally booked out for race weekend. You should be ok booking thu-sun as most hotels are quiet the week before the race, they are all holding out for the weekend people so it's actually harder to book for a week holiday the week before race day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stab, honestly, what is Wengen like on race weekend , do you get to mingle with the racers Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yeah you see them around and they go drinking with people and that, to be honest I couldn't name one ski racer or recognise them. I despise the race weekend, absolutely hate it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Alpenrose in Wengen will have any British racers but whilst they will say hello that tends to be all they'll say, some of the other teams are a bit more lively, last year I was lucky enough to be given a VIP access ticket for the top of the hill at Wengenalp, hell of a walk up but from the top fantastic views across to the top 1/3rd of the track plus free food and drink, it's great in sunny weather but it would be horrible in poor visibility, the village tends to go a little mad after the downhill
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wengen is good for the race.....you could always stay in Interlaken...although it gets manic trying to get a train up the mountain on the Sat morning. The nature if the village means that you get to mix a lot with the teams if you want.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf wrote:
the village tends to go a little mad after the downhill

that's a bit like saying that kid in virginia was a bit troubled.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stab, yep
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If we were staying around the region i would certainly stay/visit over that weekend
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith, this year we were in Kitzbuhel for the week leading up to the downhill - which unfortunately of course had to be cancelled. Sad However, Kitzbuhel is a really great town & there was a great atmosphere in the town in the run up to that weekend - the slalom races were still being held. I haven't been to Wengen so can't judge the two but certainly Kitzbuhel would be good. We did actually take the train to Zell am See one day, good fast efficient service. If you can't get a hotel in Kitzbuhel then it would certainly be fine to stay at Zell. The train station at Kitz is a bit of a hike out of town but we walked it with our ski gear - and there's always the ski bus, although I don't know how disrupted the service is over the race weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St Moritz
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for your responses guys. Was starting to lean towards Wengen, especially as it would be a precurser to a full week there in March 08. Having never been it would have given us the opportunity to get familiar with the place before invading with a crowd of 15+.

Regardless, while discussing this with my good lady last night, she pointed out, somewhat embarassingly, that it's our son's 6th birthday on the Wengen weekend. So Wengen is out. Which leaves Kitzbuhel.

Going to get onto the hotels in and around Kitz in the next few days ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy