Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you an aerodynamic skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you have aspirations for the British alpine team, perhaps you could ask Snowsport GB Wink to pack you off to the US for some wind tunnel testing...

This report from CNW tells of the current tests taking place on the Canadian national team, sponsored and funded by General Motors, in the facility they use in the US for checking the aerodynamic qualities of their cars and trucks.

Not just race positions being put to the test, but also various experimental forms of downhill suits, gloves, helmets and goggles.
Quote:
"In a sport where a hundredth of a second can differentiate between first and tenth place, any advantage helps," said John Kucera, member of the Men's Alpine Ski Team. "Training in the GM wind tunnel enables our coaches to easily pinpoint and correct flaws in our body position that would be difficult to do during a regular run. This innovative approach should lead to faster times and improved performances this year."

All the same, this sort of 'innovation' does seem to shift the advantage even further towards the better funded national teams...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think I can remember some TV footage of one of the Bell brothers in a wind tunnel testing different tuck configurations, particularly where to have the hands (together, giving greater stability, or apart, giving least wind resistance).

Regards

Rob
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, I am curious about the shoulder/elbow angles in the sagittal plane; with the hips and knees mostly locked out in a tuck, isn't this a major point of balance adjustment? Why are their elbows on top their knees in all publicity shots and why don't they look more like Graeme Obree in his Superman aero position?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy