Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Artificial snowmaking will dry Alpine rivers

Poster: A snowHead
This has been an ongoing issue in the German speaking countries, now I have found an English article on it.
Quote:
Artificial snow is used on around 23,800 hectares -- the equivalent of some 35,000 soccer pitches or nearly 30 percent of all Alpine skiing slopes.
Some 95 million cubic metres of water -- the annual water consumption of a city of 1.5 million people -- are needed to produce one season's artificial snow for skiers and snowboarders in Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia.

Effects were already visible in some areas, like in parts of French skiing region Les Trois Vallees where water levels of some mountain rivers had dropped by 70 percent, she [Carmen de Jong, professor and research manager at the Mountain Institute at the University of Savoie in France] said.

Some Alpine villages, which previously got most of their drinking water from mountain streams, now needed to pump water out of the ground to ensure drinking supplies. Water taken out of the Alps would be missing for people and industry down the line.

De Jong recognised the economic role winter sports played for the region, but said snow sport enthusiasts and the tourism industry needed to come up with alternatives, like snow-shoe hiking.

"The tourism industry needs to realise that they cannot produce snow and have a skiing season at all costs," she said.

The full article is here:
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L18553730.htm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So where does all of the water used to make the artificial snow go, when it melts then? Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And how does de Jong (the TGR maggots would love that) propose resorts develop snow-shoe hiking on gravel, grass etc?

Not that I don't think artificial snow is by and large a waste of time in terms of quality of ski experience (indoors excepted).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Funny, water levels in our reservoirs over here always get really low at the moment, and we don't have artificial snow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I cant see how there can be a net loss in water from artificial snow if the water used in the snow cannons is taken localy from the run off streams from the piste as I would guess most are to avoid exsesive pumping head and or costs in water charges. It may give varences in water levels in that a dry year may get a lower water level for a short time but this will be replenished in the melt.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All the water is let out of the reservoirs here at this time of year to make room for the stuff that's about to come down - how do they factor that in or does that not count as waste? Honestly, there's so much scaremongering, sounds like someone actually has it in for the ski industry
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Read the whole article, people:

Quote:
De Jong said by keeping water in surface reservoirs instead of in the ground and by spraying it through the air to create the snow, around one third of the water evaporated, forming clouds that often travelled to other regions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find it hard to believe that a third evaporates at temperatures of around -5 to +3 degrees which i believe is the range of temp that you can make snow. Anyone care to substantiate/correct this theory ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ropetow, it's possible - the triple point of water is 0.01C, and given that snowmaking involves blowing it into the air in a very fine mist, then it could well be correct.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ropetow, Some of the water molecule freezing may supply consequent released latent heat to other water molcules effectively "heating" them so they evaporate. Just because most of the water molecules are heading in a liquid > solid phase direction it doesn't mean that some are not evaportating - it is just about the probablity for individual molecules under those circumstances. Indeed if you look at the home-snowmaking forum snowguns.com you will find a lot of discussion of evaporative loss. Droplet size appears to be crucial see here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ami in berlin, Agreed there will be evaporitive losses the compressed air used to make the snow will have a very low dewpoint and will carry away some of the water. However this water vapor suspended in the atmospher is not gone for ever it will condence pretty quickly in Alpine conditions, possibly not in the same valley but equaly as possibly so. This still seems to me scaremongoring with a local intrest bias.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I doubt de Jong has it in for the ski-industry, but I know what research is like, and in order to attract funding then this is the sort of research that is needed - you know, something that will grab the attention of other academics and the press. Chances are this may have started off as as one undergraduate student's final year research project.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
newbie45 wrote:
This still seems to me scaremongoring with a local intrest bias.

You mean like drinking water?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, we have a lack of water on the mountain here and consequently only have cannons at low level (the highest is 2,200m) It's amazing how mnay tourists just expect to see cannons right up to the glacier. where do they think the water comes from? when you explain they get quite miffed! No resort should need cannons above 2,000m really, there are too many all over. However here, because of the shortage there are man-made lakes to catch the run off and recycle it for next year. there's massive water recycling in LDA. can't speak for other resorts though. Don't forget also, that much of the artificial snow probably has chemicals in it - it might not be fit to drink.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I read somewhere recently (sorry, too vague) that of all the snow that falls, something like 80% evaporates, and only 20% melts and runs down into streams and rivers. If a given amount of water is turned into snow and spread out thinly over a large area, especially on a sunny slope, rather than being concentrated in a watercourse or reservoir, then presumably more of it will be lost to evaporation? It seems to me perfectly plausible to argue that increased snowmaking could lead to local water shortages; the argument that "it all goes somewhere" is a bit simplistic.

Coming back from LDA yesterday I was very surprised to see the big dam at the bottom of the road (Lac de Chambon?) was practically empty, despite all the snow melting which has been going on. Is that normal for this time of year? The whole area looked dessicated and dusty and there seemed to be a lot of dead (as opposed to just dormant) trees, too. Some places might have plenty of water at the moment, but lots don't.
ski holidays
Its cowdoo.

they get more rainfull in spring ,summer.Autumn than they get snow in winter

Very Happy
snow report
The research may very well be legit, but it seems to me the bigger issue is all the energy needed to produce snow. I don't think it will be all that long before US East Coast ski areas start to employ tarps. My first ski trip to the alps isn't for 10 1/2 months (I hope), but I can't image that covering mountains of that size with man made snow could possibly be neutral to the environment.
snow report
Quote:

Its cowdoo.

a desperate generalisation, stanton. If water in the mountains is so plentiful why such extensive bans on car washing, hosepipes etc, over big areas and several years. This current spring has certainly been extraordinarily dry.
snow report
pam w, here they reduce the level in as many stretches of water as possible at this time of year precisely to accommodate the melting snow to avoid flooding so yes, I would say in general it's normal. Can't talk specifically for LDA of course.

In Flims/Laax they created a new reservoir up the mountain last year, filling in a natural depression and the only artifical material used was the liner. This is used for snowmaking, and the plan is for it to generate electricity in the summer too.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Its cowdoo.

a desperate generalisation, stanton. If water in the mountains is so plentiful why such extensive bans on car washing, hosepipes etc, over big areas and several years. This current spring has certainly been extraordinarily dry.

I stand by what I say & they predict more of this.

http://www.alpinesicherheit.com/bild/hochwasser2005/index.html

http://www.networld.at/nw1/gen/slideshows/slide.php?show=chronik/inland/unwetter/ueberschwemmungen_stmk_08_2005/3_1/&template=standards/aktuell/&nopop=0&aut=mr&top=&next=1&ref=&ftemplate=&kid=&noad=0&pos=26

http://www.hospiz.com/content/dachmarke/aktuelles/vip/fotoalbumDetail.asp?catName=wasTut_TatSich&id=6_1991548649
snow report
Spyderman,
Basically when it melts it can go to other places rather than straight back to the river system which feeds the reservoirs.

Also the time taken to refill a reservoir via meltwater fed rivers is generally longer than the time it is taking to drain the reservoirs
and hence the rivers that feed them.

Also don't forget that as the snow melts it can evaporate and then the water vapour can get moved by winds far away from where it started.
ski holidays
Second law of thermodynamics
Intergral of delta Q divided by T is greater or Equal to 0

'Things like to be messy'

Third law of thermodynamics
When T tends towards 0, S tends towards C

'As it gets colder the mess gets less'

where Q is energy(heat absorbed by a system), T is temperature, S is entropy and C is a constant.

This basically says water doesn't like being kept in a fixed place/state i.e a reservoir. It would only accept this if it was at absolute zero which is -273 degrees celcius!

So don't worry!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

We trap the water i.e fight nature for human use. This has generally been drinking and irrigation, now it seems the emphasis has changed slightly becuase of capitalism
involved in ski resorts. A change in use it not necessarily any worse.
ski holidays
plectrum wrote:

"Heat cannot fo itself pass from one body to a hotter body

Heat won't pass from a cooler to a hotter
You can try it if you like but you far better notter
Cos the cold in the cooler with get hotter as a ruler
'Cos the hotter body's heat will pass to the cooler

Heat is work and work's a curse
And all the heat in the Universe
Is gonna cooool down 'cos it can't increase
Then there'll be no more work and there'll be perfect peace
Yeah - that's entropy, man!"

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Name the singers Wink
ski holidays
First law of thermodynamics
You can never win, you can only break even.

You can only break even at absolute zero.

Third law of thermodynamics
You can never reach absolute zero.

Life's a bitch. Crying or Very sad
snow report
laundryman, Laughing
latest report
eng_ch,
I won't eat people, eatin' people is wrong because I'm a gnu on a scarlet painted london transport diesel engine 97 horsepower omnibus

Wink
latest report
GrahamN, you need some status cymbals to accomany that Wink
snow conditions
eng_ch, I'm a gnu, a gnother gnu, i'd really like to gnash my teeth at you!!

Flanders n Swan - ace.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy