Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fat people holding back good learning technique

Poster: A snowHead
surely being fat, unfit, or a combination of both is going to hold back learning technique
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tomba the bomba Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What is "learning technique"?

In my experience being fat and unfit make you a more rounded person.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Being of fuller figure has never impaired my learning technique. I can learn with the best of them. It's just the skiing technique that's the problem
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
graeme, what an odd question Puzzled

no, I don't beleive it does hold back learning technique - as a fairly chunky person, I can learn many things, I just may be slower in teh field. e.g. I have learned the technique and skills for diving, and have my open water to prove it, but it may take me longer to carry my equipment to the jetty, or make it more difficultto get out, but I absolutely can dive
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
graeme, I don't believe that being fat or unfit will necessairily hold back learning, however as a both fat (obese) and unfit person I will say that it holds back the execution of the technique and the lack of stamina means that I can no longer ski all day Sad For especially unfit people it might hold back the learning but then the same could be probably said for any other sport or exercise they might try
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
graeme, might limit endurance and certain kinds of more extreme skiing, and might limit ability and stance in powder etc, but developing reasonable technique may allow fatter and more unfit people to ski for longer than they would have done so otherwise.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, in 1 brother, in 1 Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, stoatsbrother, Frosty the Snowman, Totally agree with all you lardy barstewards. Us Lardy's have to develop BETTER technique to cope with the higher stresses of chucking > 100Kg round the piste compared to most skiing 'lightweights' Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Love it. Remember science Graham.

I'm 100kgs. Weight = speed. Gravity rocks my friend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kiwi1 wrote:
....I'm 100kgs....

Lightweight! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have a saying around here: "You gotta be fat to carve".... Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kiwi1 wrote:

Er ... nothing to do with gravity. Remember Galileo dropping things off the leaning tower of Pisa?

If it weren't for air resistance, a light person would accelerate as quickly as a heavy person. Mass cancels out of all the other terms in the equation.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurray - I'm a skiing lightweight - I would never have believed it, but according to the above I am......I AM!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only been skiing for 3 years, only starting at 46. The first 2 years I was pretty lean and fit as a regular gym goer, in fact I weighed my least for 20 years. However the last year has been a disaster weight and fitness wise and I certainly found skiing much harder going this year. I would imagine that starting as a complete novice overweight and unfit would certainly impede progress.
snow report
graeme wrote:
surely being fat, unfit, or a combination of both is going to hold back learning technique

Yep.
snow conditions
Does it make you a bad chess player
ski holidays
laundryman, time to revive http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3555 ?
ski holidays
Quote:

I would imagine that starting as a complete novice overweight and unfit would certainly impede progress

Comment from last years complete novice - last year I weighed more and was certainly less fit than I was this year. This year I found things easier going and I think it was probably as much due to the weight and the fitness as to the fact that I'd learned a little technique the year before
latest report
laundryman wrote:
kiwi1 wrote:

Er ... nothing to do with gravity. Remember Galileo dropping things off the leaning tower of Pisa?

If it weren't for air resistance, a light person would accelerate as quickly as a heavy person. Mass cancels out of all the other terms in the equation.

We don't ski 90degree slopes though, it's all about momentum from what I (a fat bloke) see when steaming past skinny skiers poling along the runouts (as I'm still in a tuck).
latest report
fat bloke gut is more aerodynamic than thin bloke. Fact.
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
We don't ski 90degree slopes though

Doesn't make any difference what the slope is. It's all to do with the air resistance term in the equation.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, wanna race?
snow conditions
-steering moves (both inside and outside skis)
-back seat recovery
-retraction turns
-extending feet into trough of moguls
-hopping arrhythmical troughs between moguls
-jump turns
-extension and recovery to absorb speed difference
-one footed balance
-waiststeering
-saturday night fever turns

all come to mind as fitness dependent, any others?
latest report
Though you might argue the 'bigger they come the harder they fall' The fatter frame does have more padding when it falls over - it is just liable to do a stranded whale routine once down Embarassed
ski holidays
Megamum, Trouble with that theory is that if you drop a bag of lard with rocks in it, the lard gets considerably bruised by both fall and rocks.
latest report
having more mass can be helpful in collisions though. When approaching a line of boarders across the piste or a 'crocodile' of ESF infants, think how much a bowling ball weighs compared to the pins Toofy Grin
latest report
what a great thread.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
kiwi1 wrote:

Ok, I'm thick and fat.

Weight = acceleration. Acceleration rocks (and so does my hockey stop)
latest report
Always cofused me the speed thing, as to why one person will be faster than another in a straight line. I can understand the ski prep bit, the need to have flat skis and fore/aft posture.
What confuses me is why men are faster in a tuck than women? Women are more aerodynamic, smaller shoulders and heads, less frontal area. Breasts that stream airflow over their knees. Smaller frame and generally wedge shaped when in a tuck.
snow conditions
Spyderman, but women are better at doing the dishes and ironing, so it all balances out in the end.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, brave ...but funny Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
CEM, I know that intelligent women with a sense of humour will find that funny, others might not.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing

Fat people are very good at holding back lift queues. (so I've been told)
latest report
Surely a fat person only holds back your learning technique if they're hanging onto you at the time? Laughing
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
Always cofused me the speed thing, as to why one person will be faster than another in a straight line. I can understand the ski prep bit, the need to have flat skis and fore/aft posture.
What confuses me is why men are faster in a tuck than women? Women are more aerodynamic, smaller shoulders and heads, less frontal area. Breasts that stream airflow over their knees. Smaller frame and generally wedge shaped when in a tuck.

Yeah, well it's all aerodynamic until it gets to the hips where it all goes wrong Sad
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Surely a fat person only holds back your learning technique if they're hanging onto you at the time? Laughing

They might be standing in front of you so you can't see what the instructor is demonstrating.
ski holidays
As an ex lardy (102kgs now down to 86kgs) you have to weigh up the changes. I feel the cold more but can't now find the bargain ski clothes in the sales to overcome this so I have to ski harder and longer to compensate. Technical ability has remained static, age has risen with time (Galileo Puzzled ) but the real difference is the reduced impact on the joints (knees in particular)
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
women are better

Couldn't agree more Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy