Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recycling of ski equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm a retailer and customers have asked on a few occasions whether there are any specific recycling facilities for ski equipment(mainly boots). It would help me also as I have a obsolete fleet of ski boots to dispose of.

Any ideas????
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Regarding boots, you might want to speak to some of the bootfitters on here - sometimes they will take old boots for spare parts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've seen some of the rubbish that sells on e-bay that seems to me to be the ideal recycling option.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wonder whether the plastics industry would be interested in large quantities of plastic ski boots. It depends on what they are made of. For example my bother works in a factory which makes plastic plant pots. I know that they have huge problems getting hard plastics of the correct quality because China nicks them all
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plastic boots should recycle the same as any other plastic. And the metal can be ripped off and bunged in the metal skip.
BUT, a better alternative would be re-use. Think of all the less fortunate who could be helped to go skiing if they had a bit of clobber. Or, how about sending them over to the Himalayas so the locals can have a go on the new British ski resort that has been proposed!

BTW, when you say "obsolete", how obsolete are they? Are they ancient knackered old things?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
petemillis, Exactly what a guide/instructor friend of mine did. Took a lot of skis to India, that was fun as he explained it. The police in Bombay, What are these? What are skis? You ski on what? What is snow? Put your hands in the air!!!

But in all fairness a very worthy cause.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies, I'm already a boot fitter and other than putting them in the local council recycling unit we didn't know where to put them.

The boots are mainly Rossi rear entry boots with around 8 weeks use, it's just that the 8 weeks has been spread over 8 or 10years and they look a little psychedelic!! They've been replaced by more modern designs.

Regarding ebay, I am constantly amazed at the people who come into the shop with 'bargain' purchased from e bay who look suitably crestfallen when I tell them they have been sold a donkey. There are some bargains to be had but I wouldn't buy USED ski equipment I couldn't see/touch/feel. And before the bargain buyers try to lynch me, yes, I do sell on ebay to clear old stock. For the time spent and money to be made on the boots I have for recycling and the damage to my reputation I wouldn't clear them on ebay. But if someone wants to take them for £5 + P&P I'd be happy!!!!!

The India option sounds good, but not if I had to deliver!! Don't think my courier company would be much good either!!!!
I wonder if Oxfam would help????
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rivington alpine, other options apart from India might be somewhere like Romania.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good luck. Your orginal ski shop was the first ski shop I ever visited. (Born and brought up in blackrod)

Sadly, I think no one is going to take these off your hands. Recycling bin I suspect
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The origonal shop, Lee Lane Horwich, was a long while ago now. I bought the place off the Wallworks (the owners then) about 18 months ago, trying to make a go of it in todays large multiple shops with shiny new showrooms. We live, eat and breath skiing and boarding Very Happy Very Happy

Where do you live now?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are ski manufacturers subject to anything similar to WEEE? (it's a recycling scheme for electronic goods). If they've got arrangements in place to recycle current stuff then presumably that may be a route to follow for older stock as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Sadly, I think no one is going to take these off your hands. Recycling bin I suspect

Unless.........http://www.powdermag.com/stuff/skichair_111604/ Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
every SNOWHEAD should have one...

http://www.skichair.com/coatrack/coatrackhome.asp

I particularly like the coat rack
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty wrote:
Quote:

Unless.........http://www.powdermag.com/stuff/skichair_111604/ Very Happy

From your link.....
Quote:
Lube Job $799.95
seems rather pricey!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty, that coat rack is neat. I'm now thinking about making a pair out of them Salomon V12s (that I got some money back on in the end I'm pleased to say)....
snow conditions
petemillis, I reckon they are a doddle to make too.
latest report
Making something out of old skis might be a better option for them than recycling - boots seem dismantlable and therefore would seem to be more appropriate for recycling. However, the composite and mixed natures of the materials that skis seem to be made of would make recycling difficult in terms of material seggregation
snow conditions
Megamum, material seggregation wouldn't be too bad on skis. You just stick them in a bonfire and then fish out the bits of metal.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 17-04-07 19:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Frosty, how much do you reckon a Salomon V12 coatrack would fetch on ebay? I've already got the coat hook bits nd bobs, screws etc. I reckon if I do a good enough description I've got to be able to get £100 for each - maybe more.......
snow report
I feel a project coming on....
snow report
The wineracks look interesting too - bet you could also make wineracks out of old ski boots.......
latest report
petemillis, mmm Cheese and wine all in one go Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty, good thought - I reckon some Italian ski boots would be best - shaved parmesan like what comes off the bottom of feet (not mine, I know that's what some people get off).
snow report
I saw a prog on local Welsh TV that a ski group for disabled/backward children were desperate for ski gear, some of these kids end up going to the disabled olympics
latest report
I reckon they would still snub my old hire stock, can't see them wanting old Rossi R78's on their shoulders on the podium!!

I've e-mailed a few of my suppliers (Atomic, Volkl, Salomon and K2) to see if they have anything in place for recycling. Given the thread re us(the winter sports industry) doing nothing about climate change the manufactururers would have something set up. Salomon use recycled cardboaurd for their packaging, you soon find this out as a boot fitter after the 3 rd pair of boots smacks you on the back of the head off the top shelf of the boot room cause the box has disintegrated Twisted Evil

I do use old boots in our work shop for holding drills, tools etc. Maybe Black and Decker is the way to go!!!!

I'll post if I get a reply from the manufacturers.
snow report
rivington alpine, also try contacting the likes of the uphill ski club - they may be able to use them. (it's always worth asking)

Another alternative for old boots is as ski holders for servicing - If the sole length is the same as someone's own boots, then they can mount the boot upside down on a bench (bolt it in to a frame, so it can be swapped over for different sized boots), then the ski can be clicked in to it to service. If the boot is mounted firmly, it will hold the ski well, and it gets the brake out of the way - just cut away any wide bits of the boot that might interfere with files etc.
snow report
rivington alpine, Have you approached the Ski Club of Great Britain, they have come over all green of late, I think they have a few members left and do try and act as a lobby group for skiing, maybe you could join forces to apply a little bit of pressure on the industry for a solution. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Plastic recycling is one of the most important thing now about plastics.... to many plastics to recycle now... plastic industries most products are coming from a recycled plastics... a good news for us...

You know it makes sense.
Plastic boots should recycle the aforementioned as any added plastic. And the metal can be ripped off and bunged in the metal skip. BUT, a bigger another would be re-use. Think of all the beneath advantageous who could be helped to go skiing if they had a bit of clobber. Or, how about sending them over to the Himalayas so the locals can accept a go on the new British ski resort that has been proposed!

any moderator believe the above 2 posts are thinly disguised spam/links to other sites?????
latest report
kitenski, Not so thinly disguised, they both link to companies in the same town in Indiana. Sure they'll gain lots of business.
snow report
Here's a novel idea - maybe a bit Blue Peter-ish...
http://skiing.about.com/b/2007/10/08/some-ski-boots-are-for-the-birds.htm
snow report
I've got a couple of pairs of old straight skis, one pair hardly used. I've wondered for years what to do with them and couldn't face slinging them on a dump. I suppose if one had enough of them and overlapped them one could roof a shed (nice upturned edges a bit Thai).
snow conditions
My 1992 RC4s went into the skip last week.
latest report
There is a ski-school in the Indian Himalaya who appreciate any second-hand kit - there was a guy in the UK who used to co-ordinate shipping of kit, so I'll see if I can find any contact info (there are contacts in Canada on their site)

<edit>
Please send Ben an email if you think you have anything to donate (stephensonben_at_hotmail.com NB replace the _at_ with @). Although Ben lives in Calgary, Canada, he has contacts in UK who are collecting together equipment for the school.

Details here http://www.zanskarskischool.org/equipment.html
snow conditions
I emailed Ben this afternoon, he no longer has a UK collection point.
snow conditions
Tecnica have a good boot recyling scheme
http://skiflightfree.org/tecnica-ski-boot-recycling-project/
snow report
iainm wrote:
Tecnica have a good boot recyling scheme
http://skiflightfree.org/tecnica-ski-boot-recycling-project/

Looks good. Unfortunately it appears all the pick up points are in Europe (at least a few in some resorts) meaning for now you need to lug your old boots over there to drop them off. Do you know if they intend opening any UK points?
snow report
It seems that you have to buy a new pair of Technica boots to use this scheme. Perhaps other manufacturers should take note.
latest report
I messaged Nordica to see what their policy might be and they came back (eventually) with .. ".. we will develop a new Recycle Your Boot project available in our best authorized stores strarting from next fall winter season"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy