Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing - Where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to go skiing in late July.
We where thinking zermatt, but it seems a little too upmarket.
Dont think it would suit our gang.
Cheers, Brian.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flexrip,
New Zealand Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kaprun .... ski on the Kitzsteinhorn in the morning then swim in the lake at Zell am See in the afternoon!!! wink GREAT!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have any spare airmiles go to Chile - very cheap once you get there and not upmarket - for real keen skiers and boarders.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flexrip,
Quote:

We where thinking zermatt, but it seems a little too upmarket.

On the contrary, it can be as wild as any Austrian resort if you go to the right places. We're doing a long weekend there at the Whit bank holiday weekend, and have also booked for next xmas (again).

As anyone that has met me on Snowheads will testify, I am anything but upmarket Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charlatanefc wrote:
As anyone that has met me on Snowheads will testify, I am anything but upmarket Wink

Toofy Grin seconded wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thirded Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are there many choices? Tignes, Les Deux Alpes, Zermatt, Kaprun all offer summer skiing. Any others?
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, add Saas Fee in Switzerland, possibly Val d'Isere in France (they opened last year for a while) and Hintertux and Stubai at least in Austria, I think there might be another couple in Austria ?

Edit: you can use the Zermatt summer area from Cervinia as well I think.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
flexrip, things ain't what they used to be... I used to religiously ski Hintertux, Solden or Kaprun in July/August but I now have to draw the line at the end of June. Fact is, unless you want the fun park, there's stuff all fun to be had in rivers of semi-frozen porridge. These days I go just to be in the mountains, go biking, or even walk! Went to Kaprun a couple of Augusts ago and the glacier was just a grey wasteland. Suggest southern hemisphere is the only way to go in late July.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've skiied in Saas Fee in summer for the last three years and have always had good skiing. Last year (early August) had two genuine powder days with 40cm overnight.

Good cheapish hotels as well and quite a few bars and restaurants open. Ski in the morning from 8 till 1 then mountain bike, tennis, assault course or drink in the sunshine
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spent my third ever ski week on the Stubai Glacier (now many years ago) and had a great week (in mid June).
Hemel race train in Hintertux during the first week of August each year. Last year was a mixture of hot sun and complete white out.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know what sort of conditions you could expect on a glacier later on in the year eg. October or November?
Is this still summer skiing or early winter? I quite fancy going away somewhere about this time of year but have no idea of what sort of snow conditions to expect snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zoe29, it can vary enormously.

You could consider going to the early season snowHead gathering in Les 2 Alpes on the first weekend in November. I went last year, the snow wasn't great but the whole event was a great time and there were laughs a-plenty. I think that we had particularly poor snow.

I have been to Hintertux in mid November and while there was a reasonable amount open, conditions weren't brilliant.

I think that you would do much better going in May or June if that is an option.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would have thought summer skiing in NZ and Chile would be rubbish. Surely the snow will be better in winter.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Laughing
Just remember ....nobody loves a smart@rse wink Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin, Its okay, nobody likes me when I am being thick either Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
boredsurfin, Its okay, nobody likes me when I am being thick either Very Happy
BGA,
Thanks for the input BGA, but can you tell me where saas fee is, cheers, brian
snow conditions
flexrip wrote:
but can you tell me where saas fee is, cheers, brian

One valley east from Zermatt, Switzerland.
snow conditions
Just asRobW says. You could even do a two centre trip as it's only about an hours drive from Saas Fee to Zermatt. Saas Fee attracts a younger crowd in summer than Zermatt, lots of young ski racers training vs lots of Japanese tourists gawping at the Matterhorn. Also Warren Smith runs camps throughout July and August and also the Saas Fee Ride so if you go out late July then there will be plenty of things going on. Two hours from Geneva for the transfer by minibus or 3 hours on the train. I'll be there myself the last week in July, foolishly doing the British Freeski Camp (old fat white men who can't jump, so God knows why..)
ski holidays
I would give Zermatt and Saas Fee the thumbs up for summer boarding/ skiing. As others have said though, don't expect to have the piste to yourself as invariably there are national ski teams training with the best downhills 'out of bounds' for us mere mortals. Even if you get there first thing in the morning the place could be well crowded already. They may close lifts earlier than during the winter season also since it gets very slushy. For getting to both resorts the train connections via Bern will be vastly improved (i.e. quicker) once the new Lötschberg tunnel is opened in Dec 07, so Summer skiing 08 should see the benefits - or alternatively will be even more crowded rolling eyes !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy