Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix in May

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know when Chamonix closes. I've had a look at the website, but can't find a closing date.

For some reason I had it my head that the Grands Montets area closed on 8th May (the Same as Tignes and VT) ... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonflat2, 7th May
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, Thanks.

Is that the whole resort, or just certain areas? Sorry if this is a silly question - I've never been skiing in Chamonix (let alone France for that matter!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonflat2, pretty sure it will only be the Grand Montets that will still be open then....

we are planning to ski there on the 7th so might see you, look out for a bloke with a snowheads sticker on his helmet!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roger C, will do!

As a matter of interest, how big an area is Grand Montets ... I'm guessing more than enough to keep you busy for 3-4 days?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonflat2, Oh yes. Arguably one of the best ski areas (especially if you like bumps) in Europe. Not great if you're an absolute beginner Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonflat2,David Murdoch, The montets will be open selectively until Tuesday the 8th included(from the 29th onward the bottom cable car, Bochard and the top car), the following week there will be 3 cars in the morning and 3 at lunchtime for alpinists and tourers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Arguably one of the best ski areas (especially if you like bumps) in Europe.

*Gulp* ... bumps ain't exactly my strongest area ....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonflat2, Most the pistes are relatively bump-free till the mid-afternoon, all the proper bump sections are infact off-piste, so you should be fine.......
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, thanks for the reassurance.

LARGEZOOKEEPER, sorry to sound dim, but as a matter of interest what does "open selectively" mean? Do they run a limited lift service during the last part of the season?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonflat2, unless your group are all pretty strong skiers you might find more scope in Tignes. The Snowheads Chamonix experts think nothing of blasting round the Grand Montets - described in the Good Skiing and Snowboarding Guide as a fantastic area for expert skiers, "steep, complex and dramatic". But for some of us, less than expert skiers, it's a fairly scary area and if that's all that's open, might also be pretty crowded. The more benign intermediate skiing at Flegeres and Brevent will closed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jonflat2, As stated only 3 or 4 lifts are working after the 29th. I was up this morning and it's still wicked Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, thanks for the advice.

Is Tignes planned to be fully open through to 8th May?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonflat2,
A personal opinion is that if you want to stay clear of moguls Grand Montets is as pam w, states not ideal but if you want to get better GM may be a pretty good place to go as the moguls have by and large been formed by good skiers and are a lot easier to ski than some.

If Zermatt is open that has a pretty good glacier area for easier skiing as has Sas Fee I believe though I haven't visited.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy