Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in April 2008 (flying to Geneva) ...... ?? FLAINE / LES GETS ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I am after some help!

We are a group of families of intermediate skiers wanting to book a week's skiing for the first week of next April (first week) - we will arrange our own flights to Geneva (we live near London City airport).

Want somewhere with a shortish transfer time (90mins?), good for families, not a big spread out resort (Chamonix?) and obviously with a good snow record for April.

Any suggestions of a resort (and maybe accomodation) gratefully received.

LES GETS looks nice and we have found a possible chalet there, but I am not sure it is high enough to be reliable for snow this time of year????

FLAINE is another promising resort (I don't care about the architecture by the way!) but I haven't been able to find any apartments ot chalets there yet.

Cheers ..... Simon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.flaine.com/en/ski-chalet-france.php this link should take you to the section of the flaine tourist office where you can book chalets in the hameau de flaine area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine would be a better bet for April than Les Gets though neither would be "reliable" for snow in April. I don't think there is anywhere that near to Geneva which could be said to be really reliable for April. Are you absolutely set on Geneva? If so, an extra couple of hours driving could get you to resorts with higher altitude skiing. In April, if it's anything like this year, you will have spring skiing - ie snow will be getting mushy from late morning but the warmth and sunshine are really great, got to be better than freezing and dark in January. I was quite high up in Val D'Isere at mid-day yesterday and the snow was pretty mushy even at 2800m. Gorgeous, though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well we just want to make the most of being close to City airport with cheap flights to Geneva - hate all the 3 hours stuff at Gatwick, Turin etc. and long coach transfers ....

.... but there wouldn't be much point in gaving a breeze of a journey to have crap skiing for our one week of the year!

Any resort alternatives for w/c 5th or 6th Apr08 much appreciated Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Havent personnaly been to any of them in april but tignes/val d'isere, val thorens, zermatt, les deux alpes would all be a good bet and all within 3 hrs or so of GVA
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roger C wrote:
Havent personnaly been to any of them in april but tignes/val d'isere, val thorens, zermatt, les deux alpes would all be a good bet and all within 3 hrs or so of GVA

As would Verbier and most French resorts. Most of the higher French resorts er courchevel, alpe dhuez should have good conditions at that time of year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've just come back from Val Thorens (so it is the equivalent week in 2007 for the one you're looking at in 2008). Val Thorens had pretty much complete snow cover down to resort (~2300m) and was fully open, conditions a bit slushy in the afternoon but nothing serious. Les Menuires (at ~1800m) was starting to get a bit bare with some lifts and runs shut, same true of Courchevel - still plenty of skiing though.

With good traffic conditions Geneva to Val Thorens is about 2.5 hours
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes also well worth a look, with maybe a bigger range of skiing than Val Thorens. Where have you been up now? What sort of accommodation; catered or self catering?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bit further up the autoroute blanche and you get to Les Contamines

http://www.lescontamines.net
http://www.lescontamines.com

It has a good reputation for late season even though its altitude is a max of 2500m, most of the skiing is above 1700m, this year only the two runs into the village were closed at the start of April (I went the same week 4 years ago and it dumped a metre of snow in that week!). Even with this years really warm temperatures it has more snow than most of its neighbours.

It has a decent range of skiing for intermediates and some decent black stuff off the Veleray lift, and if you do get bored, 15 mins up the road you can be in St Gervais and linked to the whole Megeve area as well (you can get a left pass that covers this)

We went for our second visit this year, remembered why we loved it, half term, no queues, great facilities for children (our little one was in the creche in town), very laid back, very French and by alpine standards pretty cheap (Local lift pass is £100 for 6 days). Its 1hr from Geneva.

Just thought I'd share that with you!

Oh yeah, accommodation, we self catered in the Bonhomme, quite large apartments for self catering, they are a bit different as they have a hotel style set up, in that they do offer breakfast, have a bar and reception, also a garden for the kids to run around in which is pretty safe.

http://perso.orange.fr/lebonhomme/

It is good to have a car in this area, but there are regular shuttle buses about. The downside of Les Contamines is that the town is spread along the valley, with the lifts (and large car parks) at one end.

Anyway, have a look and see what you think.

Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks!

We wouldn't have a car and prefer to avoid shuttles but Les Contamines is a good suggestion.
Any comments appreciated on ther practicalities of getting from accomodation to slopes/lifts etc. appreciated Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can get accommodation next to the main lifts, the sector is Hammeau Du Lay, with masses of appartments (albeit some quite small ones). Some of the prices when booked through the Les Contamines site can include lift passes. (this year you could get a weeks accommodation in a one bedroom appartment sleeping up to 5 and two adult lift passes for £512 during half term!)

The shuttles seem pretty efficient, although we walked in 2004 when we stayed near the town centre. This year we had a car, but as a quiet resort that is very family orientated you could locate yourelf near the lifts and miss very little.

If you look on the website at the webcams and look at the village sector camera that is the typical accommodation in the lift area. So although architecture is not an issue for you, these are Les Contamines worst (basically its a beautiful village in a stunning area).

I am totally biased about Les Contamines, maybe because we have had such great holidays there. The lack of package operators means it has relatively few Brits going, although you will always find a good number of loyal followers. For me the views of Mt Blanc from the top of Aiguille Croche are superb.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again! Smile

Do you know if the instructors English speaking and whether during school holidays the kids could expect to have fellow Brits (well English speakers) in their classes ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We wouldn't have a car

How will you get to resort? Hired cars are likely to work out cheaper than the alternatives, for families. I second the suggestion of Les Contamines, though the slopes there are not great at the moment, with this incredible heat (but then the slopes at the top of Val D'Isere weren't great yesterday, either). There's a lot more English spoken in Les Contamines than here, and I suspect you could get the kids into an English speaking group.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fly to Geneva then taxi or transfer service eg. http://www.chamexpress.com/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From discussions with other people/groups when we have been away, there are usually mixed groups in classes and in the holidays you should find that to be the case, so Brits and French. The feedback about instructors was pretty positive, they spoke English and were friendly (although this is always an individual thing, as in any resort one instructor can be brilliant, another rude!). I found, with fairly limited french that locals were really friendly and helpful.

You did mention shops, there are a few shops, including ski hire in the area near the lift, where you can get your basics, the main shops are in the village (Huit a huit etc).

The main languages are clearly French then English, possibly a little more difficult than English dominated resorts, but as I said most the locals are really friendly and helpful.
ski holidays
I have just got back from Les Contamines. Skied there all last week in roasting temperatures. The slopes held up well into the afternoon and if you stayed up high were good all day. The only day they were really slushy was Friday as it didn't freeze the night before. I have been to Contamines lots of times in April and the snow has always been more than adequate. Its a much nicer resort imo than the others mentioned. There is lots of accomodation close to the lifts and I'm sure you could get by there quite easily without a car.
snow report
simonx, you could have a look at La Rosiere, it would tick the boxes for a family resort with a good snow record, especially in April. The resort is always open until the last week of April, it's consistently in the top 5 French resorts for snow cover, it's small and very friendly. There are lots of reviews in the resort section. If this is of interest have a look at our website www.tracksvacations.com you'll find links there to the resort web cams showing current conditions.
snow conditions
Simonx,

I can't fault Dave's recommendation, we skiied at La Ros for Xmas this year and even with the poor conditions we found plenty to have fun with, it looks great for late season too. I would say it is a fair trek from the airport though. Certainly not a 90 min transfer! The nearest you will get to this ski area (Espace San Bernardo) in that time is to head to La Thuile in Italy via the Mt Blanc tunnel, probably close to the 90 mins if you are lucky, this is linked by lifts to La Ros!

I have a top notch vote for the Evolution ski school from my missus!
ski holidays
pitchski, you're right, I forgot to mention transfers, we allow 2 1/2 hrs for transfers to/from Geneva, our transfers are on Sundays to avoid the delays on the RN90 that occour on Saturdays in the season.
latest report
Quote:

Its a much nicer resort imo than the others mentioned.

Our apartment is quite near Les Contamines, we like it very much, not that we ever go down to village level as we always arrive from the Hauteluce side and stay high, where the best of the runs are to be found. But there's no comparison between the amount of skiing in Les Contamines, where there is only one difficult run, and that in, for example, the Espace Killy. Some people just want to ski something different all the time, in which case Les C would not be a good choice. simonx, it would be useful to know what you liked and disliked about the other places you've visited, then we could be more specific in our suggestions. One man's charming little French resort is another man's boring place with no challenging skiing and nil nightlife. I know which I prefer, but some people actually like Val D'Isere!
snow report
Spot on pam w, it certainly is horses for courses (so to speak), and it will depend on your group's needs. If you are an intermediate who is probably non too fussed about steep mad stuff and you don't mind going down the same run a few times, then a smaller resort is ok, but if you need miles of piste and a progression up to the really steep stuff, then at least you know then one of the big resorts up the Tarantaise is probably the place to go. Whatever you choose, have fun Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
simonx, Another vote for La Thuile. Shouldn't be much more than 90 mins from Geneva if the tunnel is behaving itself. We were two families with kids from 5 to 9 years old and had a great week there from 1st to 9th April.
Only really slushy on the few runs down from Les Suches but most of the skiing is above 2000m. You can get to the famed La Rosiere if you feel the need in about 75 mins skiing.
We have been to Les Contamines several times as well (my wife had her first week there) and it is a good place for intermediates but is smaller and less challenging IMO. great if you like easy reds though.
Not too sure about ski schools in either place however since I believe you may be reliant on the esf / sci. Not aware of many independent operations (other than bluski in La Thuile). Others will be able to help here I am sure.
snow report
Hi thanks for all the info everyone!

A bit about our group - adults are intermediates happy on all reds, one guy does the occaisonal black run. As long as there is a decent selection of varied reds we don't mind ski-ing down the same ones durnig the week. Don't want much in the way of apres ski, just a handful of nice little restaurants/cafes and a pleasant place to enjoy a drink. Bed by about 11 Happy
Anything extra for the kids eg. swimming is a bonus

Cheers .... Simon.

PS Looking at Les Contamines, found some nice looking chalets but they are a "couple of kms" from the lifts, I guess we could hire cars from Geneva airport (instead of a transfer) for not too much extra and can then drive to lifts ................. but any advice on accomodation closer to the lifts appreciated.
latest report
simonx, Flaine every time for that time of year. Up to early March I would opt for Les Gets. It has to be snow for the main creteria at that time of year.
snow report
Thanks Roy - I did look at Flaine but didn't come up with any apartments/chalets.

Any suggestions on accomodation?
ski holidays
simonx wrote:
Thanks Roy - I did look at Flaine but didn't come up with any apartments/chalets.

Any suggestions on accomodation?

Did you see my post with link to flaine tourist office? Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi Dan - I did, but I think I was put off by "The hamlet is 2 km from Flaine and a free shuttle service connects it with the centre of the resort."
But if you can pursuade me to reconsider I will look at it properly!

Cheers Little Angel
latest report
Looks like we are now seriously considering Arc 1950, although we'd still fly to City->Geneva it doesn't meet the short transfer objective but otherwise seems very promising - snow sure, ski-in/out, lots of runs but not so big we'll lose each other!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
simonx, rob@rar has an apartment in 1950 that may be available for you to rent. Try PM-ing him, as he may not look in this thread otherwise
snow report
simonx,
Nothing wrong with the resorts mentioned but if you are flying into Geneva have you considered any of the Swiss resorts. Train transfers are easy and child friendly and self catering accommodation is in my experience better value than in France. Plenty of resorts should still have good snow in April.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
cathy, rob@rar's apartment is Arc 1800.
latest report
brian, ah - so it is! whoops! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
simonx,
Nothing wrong with the resorts mentioned but if you are flying into Geneva have you considered any of the Swiss resorts. Train transfers are easy and child friendly and self catering accommodation is in my experience better value than in France. Plenty of resorts should still have good snow in April.
I haven't but will - thanks for the suggestion!! Which resort would you suggest I investigate? Happy
snow conditions
simonx,
I am just back from Nendaz which was great though there was not a train station in the resort, the drive was straight forward. Brian has just given a report on Grimentz which is v attractive as well. To be honest all of the Valais resorts that I have visited are pretty good but Verbier and Zermatt were a little more expensive. Crans Montana does not look such a great bet as it is south facing.

One advantage of Nendaz for a family is that there are considerable discounts on lift passes for family groups.

Outside Switzerland or France you could consider La Thuile which shares thae area with La Rosiere but is IMHO a better option at the end of the season as the local slopes face North and East. It is readily reachable by car form Geneva through the Mont Blanc tunnel.
latest report
We actually went to the Valais in the summer! Grimenz was very pretty, hard to imagine it as a ski-resort. And Crans Montana seemed far too expensive a place anyway
snow report
simonx,
I haven't been to Crans but have been to Nendaz and Samanun this year (Not easy from Geneva). Both offered much larger appartments than France for a better price. Eating out at night is not as cheap as France though self catering, mountain food and lift passes were all comparable or cheaper in my experience.
snow report
sorry if i've missed this but how large is your group?
snow report
simo1234 wrote:
sorry if i've missed this but how large is your group?
err, it was three families, but seems to have grown to seven now (14 adults, 14 kids) !! Looks like Arc1950 is the most likely destination now.
snow report
simonx, if you're still interested in Flaine try the flaine.com website again and look up the accommodation/apartments resort centre section. Resort centre (Forum) is about 5 minutes walk to the lifts, I rented my apartment from the Renand agency. It was extremely cheap, but I have to say it looks nothing like the picture which illustrates this section! but I suppose you get what you pay for.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy