Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Instructor Course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend has just completed and failed her first level instructor qualification in Switzerland. There were 10 people on the course, 1 Swiss, 8 French and her. She is British, but has spent a lot of time in Canada and Germany, so speaks English, French and German, no problems. She received no feedback or encouragement for the first 10 days of the course, at which time she enquired with the course director. She was told that she was not going to pass and they had made up their minds on the first day and told her not to bother reapplying. The tutors spent a lot of time complaining about the British ski schools in Switzerland. She is thoughoughly downhearted by the way she has been treated. At the end of the course, guess what, the only person to pass was the Swiss candidate. I would never of believed this could happen in Switzerland.
Does anyone else have any experience of this type of treatment?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds pretty disgusting. So they're happy to take peoples hard earned money and that is about it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She should get together with all the other failures as it sounds like they could put together a case for compensation. What were the entry criteria? Did she have reasonable prospects? What did the school undertake to do or achieve? Is there evidence of discrimination or unfair treatment? BTW which school was it and why did she decide on them rather than CSIA or BASI (I guess it's 'cos she wants to teach in Switz)?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowaddict, I don't think taking the money can have been the highest thing on the agenda; otherwise they'd have said she narrowly missed and invited her to re-apply.

It sounds like shabby treatment, all the same.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
She was going to go down the BASI route and in my opinion was above the BASI entry level. She is a good solid ASSI level. I don't know anything above the grading system for instructors in Switzerland, but she would probably have a good 80% chance of passing BASI ski instructor, at her entry level, so with work during the course should pass. She was hoping to move to Switzerland and work there. She will be back in UK next week, so will have a chat to her then. I don't know where she did the course yet. I know it was the base level Swiss instructor level, that she was going for. I'm guessing that's got to be roughly BASI 3 level. The BASI pass rate for ski instructor is certainly not 10%, that's nearer to the pass rate of ISTD at first attempt.
Something definitely stinks. Mad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, I'm not at all surprised. All this aggro against the french re the exams, but they have conisstently been the only other country who were preapred to look into the question and work with BASI. All changed now though. My experiences of working in Switzerland is that all foreigners are very much 2nd class citizens, they are more Xenophobic than anyone.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski wrote:
My experiences of working in Switzerland is that all foreigners are very much 2nd class citizens, they are more Xenophobic than anyone.

+1
Just glad someone else said it Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, stab, yes, very much so - anyone who isn't born Swiss is second class and it's just their bad luck if they don't know it. Having said that, if you live here and commit - and contribute - to the country, things are generally a bit different IME (although there are some foreigners who are always "bad" foreigners). I suspect if this girls had lived here, already proved some scommitment to the country, intended to go through the entire system here she might have had a different reception - the Swiss don't take fkindly to what they might perceive as opportunistic foreigners coming along and getting the benefits of Swiss quality and then swanning off again. Moreover, it may not even be anythign to do with her personally: the fact there were 8 French as well and only 1 natve on the course may well have biased them to start with and she may simply have got tarred with the same brush.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch wrote:
the Swiss don't take fkindly to what they might perceive as opportunistic foreigners coming along and getting the benefits of Swiss quality and then swanning off again.

… but they don't mind cheap foreign workers coming in to do the dirty and/or menial jobs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch wrote:
[Swiss quality

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jtr wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
the Swiss don't take fkindly to what they might perceive as opportunistic foreigners coming along and getting the benefits of Swiss quality and then swanning off again.

… but they don't mind cheap foreign workers coming in to do the dirty and/or menial jobs.

Nor do they mind Swiss borned national "getting the benefits of Swiss quality and then swanning off" to other n country either. What percentage of Swiss live outside the country? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="abc"]
jtr wrote:
Nor do they mind Swiss borned national "getting the benefits of Swiss quality and then swanning off" to other n country either. What percentage of Swiss live outside the country? wink

Well it's in the blood, y'see Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="eng_ch"]
abc wrote:
jtr wrote:

Well it's in the blood, y'see Wink

Perhaps, one wonders how much Swiss blood (of the generations of mercenary soldiers) were still outside of Switzerland and longing to "come home". wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy