Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pole Planting

Poster: A snowHead
came across this nice visualisation aid over on DCski:

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

I disagree that an aggressive plant is ever necessary as a required component of a turn.

Come ski some steeps with me. By that I mean around 60 degs (yes, the snow sticks because it's welded to the side of the glacier) - where with every (jump) turn you lose around 20-30 ft of height Shocked

You'd better have a rock solid aggressive pole plant if you want to survive! Very Happy
Please explain why you need one (as opposed to one being of high value in these situations). I'm sure I've never skied anything that steep, but other than a nice third point of contact with the snow, what do you see this buying you? Do you think it's required as a turning fulcrum in these situations and that it's the only way you can make the turns you need to make?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing Myth #2 - We no longer pole plant in modern technique

Steeps

Quote:
There's an old rule that can help: when in doubt, PLANT YOUR POLE. With commitment. As an old Austrian instructor once told me, "Eef you plant ze pole, YOU VILL TURN." If you get thrown off balance, planting the pole can get you back in action. Keep planting your poles, no matter what, no matter how hard you have to fight at times, and you will make it. Or fall trying. It can help to yell "POLE" with each pole plant, shouting it out from deep down in your belly, the way karate experts yell when they break things. If the word comes from high in your throat, and has a question mark on it, you can expect to die! - Bob Barnes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 16-04-07 7:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, I don't know about 60 degrees but then I wouldn't be one for measuring it anyway...
but at those kind of angles, or rather anything about 45 plus, you'll be jockeying in your boots and ready for a good edge set, reach out and plant and get them round. The plant becomes the trigger to turn or rather, jump. You will not be jumping 180 rather let the tips go, jump up and catch the turn on landing. Without a jump, I'd expect the skier would get way too much speed on that type of angle ...that you really don't want or need.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I am wondering if the habitual pole plant, on all bar very steep or bumpy pistes, is a thing of the past.

My question really refers to normal piste skiing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

I am wondering if the habitual pole plant, on all bar very steep or bumpy pistes, is a thing of the past.

I think to make some things ingrained and automatic you should do them as often as you can, even if not strictly necessary all the time. I don't have a particularly effective pole plant in some situations, and I think part of that problem is that for too long when normal piste skiing I didn't use the dang things at all. I'm trying to use the poles more and more, but it takes a bit of concentration. One day it will be instinctive and I'll know I've cracked the problem.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, nice branches! Guess he'd told his mates he didn't need poles.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
petemillis wrote:
comprex, nice branches! Guess he'd told his mates he didn't need poles.

Smile Smile Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

But then, how would the peep ever learn/practice to pole plant needed for the "abnormal" (steep or bumpy) pistes?

Isn't it a bit like saying parallel turn is the thing of the past for wide flat blue runs? You can surely get down with a snow plow etc...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, I don't think that we actually disagree. I just don't like skiers to rely on the pole plant when we're out skiing most terrain, instead focusing on learning to generate the movements necessary from the feet and legs, adding poles for timing and stabilization only as needed (which, for most skiers, is much rarer than they think!).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssh wrote:
veeeight, I don't think that we actually disagree. I just don't like skiers to rely on the pole plant when we're out skiing most terrain, instead focusing on learning to generate the movements necessary from the feet and legs, adding poles for timing and stabilization only as needed (which, for most skiers, is much rarer than they think!).

ssh, chicken and egg: that 'as needed' hinges on the knowledge of when the generated movements are likely to fail, which begs the question of why are they likely to fail?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, I agree, I think. But, I think it's more likely that skiers will use poles as crutches than it is that they will never learn to use them if they don't start with them. It seems more difficult to break skiers of the misuse than it is to add the correct use into skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know why it is, but I always feel safer if I've got my poles. Though I guess I should be capable of getting down my slope without them and indeed I can when I'm doing exercises with them - it must be phsycological
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
See - I told you that ski instructors discussing pole planting is like watching chefs argue about how to make risotto.

In that clip with Bode & Phil discussing pole plants - Phil talks at length at how it comes at the end of the turn, Bode then starts the next sentence with how he uses it at the start, with Phil looking on horrified Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And notice how much Bodes boots allow him to lean when standing rolling eyes
latest report
Megamum wrote:
I don't know why it is, but I always feel safer if I've got my poles. Though I guess I should be capable of getting down my slope without them and indeed I can when I'm doing exercises with them - it must be psychological
Not necessarily! They certainly help with balance, and having the additional points of contact with the snow can be additional aids to balance and movement.

Of course, if all the slopes are as crowded as the one I saw in your video, they may also come in handy for keeping others from running over you! Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy