Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who mountain bikes

Poster: A snowHead
I absolutely love skiing - and am feeling quite depressed that I will not be going on any more trips this side of the New year, BUT i took up mountain biking last year and it is currently the only thing that gives me a similar level of satisfaction to skiing.

Am i the only one, or do other snowheads mountain bike too?
snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me, now and again. Smile

Well it's been a while. Confused

Damn, I must get out more. Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do.

However, having wrecked my hamstring on my last ski trip, I am currently not able to MTB Sad
That said, I have just been allowed to start road cycling again (short distance flat stuff only).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not an expert mountain biker, but I do own one, and use it every week in the summer. 16km on Monday, 5km yesterday (first rides of the season, and my bum is sore). Will try for another >10km tonight.
I don't use it for "mountains" though - just as a means of outdoor exercise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, try to go out once every week or 2 on it. Don't always succeed though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The comparisons for me are huge, especially the faster flowing singletrack stuff. Almost feels like skiing in the trees. Strangely, I even enjoy the climbs Evil or Very Mad although i think this is mountain bike specific because there is no way i am buying skins whilst there are perfectly good chair lifts to be getting on!! Did my longest ride so far on Sunday - 44km, felt good! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do now.
Used to time-trial and do what would these days be called Audax as a teenager, and do about 5000 miles a year, but then discovered girls and that doing that many miles made certain bits ache which I felt might hinder what I wanted to do to the same girls...
Now getting more and more into being in the woods and find it the closest thrill to skiing (apart from windsurfing - which is just to dependent on capricious wind conditions). My new trek arrives tomorrow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mr ted, I used to feel the same about skins - but now I have tried it a few times - feel I would want to do it once or twice a year - very much the same feeling as doing a long steady climb at your own pace.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, road biking and mountain biking. Nothing too extreme on the MTB.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've finally got back into riding. Used to enjoy the occasional 50 mile road bike ride all around Sussex of a Sunday morning with a couple of friends about 17 years ago, but all became a bit of a chore after Saturday night and not getting in till 5am. But now I've got me new second hand MTB I'm having a great time again over the Downs. Trouble is, one of my dogs (Border Terrier X Jack Russell) has a hard time keeping up. The other dog (similar but with a dose of Lakeland and hence longer legs) loves it. Eldest 2 daughters enjoy, wife enjoys, still trying to get the younger 2 somewhere near capable (they're both useless at the moment even with stabilisers on the pavement!!!!)

I agree there is a good similarity to skiing, and I love flying down hills, steering with my feet and legs and slaloming around cow pats!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 11-04-07 13:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Road biking on a mountain bike (to get a small enough frame where I can reach the handlebars). summer hols are cycle camping (touring) or taking bikes with us. I get v nervous on uneven surfaces - you won't see me anywhere off road. Mr HL does off road when I'm not looking. stoatsbrother, Mr HL also did Audax and got his brevet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I Mountain Bike (read "Hill Bike").

There's a mountain bike group who meet every Friday here to go mountain biking in the local Vienna forrest. I try to attend at least once every two weeks. Also do mountainbike rides on my own and with friends (up to 80km and 1500 hm so far). The local smaller ski resorts are great places to bike in the summer. 3 marked routes go past my house and there's another 40 or so routes locally.

http://www.mbike.at/mbike/ww/
click on "alle strecken" to see the routes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After skiing, it's my favourite sport. Gives me a similar buzz, but much more accessible. Fast flowing forest downhill singletrack with a few small drops, fast berms and jumps is the most fun. We get out there pretty much every weekend. Great for fitness too, better than skiing in that respect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are some important downsides though - stopping and changing direction is much slower and the ground is considerably harder without snow on it! Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Me! For me MTB has overtaken skiing on my popularity charts. I spend any spare time I can get riding around the mountains between Garmisch and Innsbruck. Fantastic.
ski holidays
Yip me too, but more hills and dodgy country roads really, did Cork to Castletown Bear (spelling) and back last summer and may do something similar this summer
latest report
I've got 3 MTB's (and also 3 pairs of skis) which should answer mr ted's question. Madeye-Smiley

One rigid bike, now turned into a rroad biassed training bike with skinny slick tyres and higher gearing, one hardtail for winter riding and general hacking about and a full suspension bike for the high days and holidays. All are cross country style, so reasonably long top tubes and stretched out riding position.

In fact, I have one in the boot of the car as I write. I'm working away from home and staying in a country hotel so will be out for a ride this evening. there are lights on the bike, so no worries about it getting dark - night riding has to be tried, a whole new ball game! Twisted Evil
snow report
rayscoops, How about having a go at either the Coast to Coast (Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors ending at Robin Hood's Bay) or the West Country Way (Plymouth to Minehead going across Dartmoor and Exmoor)?
latest report
Most definatley! Mountain biking is great, so simular to ski touring, I think the adrenaline rush of doing a downhill descent is amazing, i have only been biking around three years and tend to get out 3 times a week, those of you that love single track try the North face trail, Grizedale forest smooth uphill, and downhill descents, and some great northshore. Its only a 10mile loop, so if your up for it do it again even faster! Toofy Grin

Of to the Marin trail on saturday, for the first time anyone ridden it?
snow report
jmdohanlon, I may have a look at that. i also fancy riding around the coast from Swansea, through Gower and heading to west Wales. Any bit of country side really. The Cork/CTB trip was convenient because an over night ferry went from Swansea to Cork, and we wanted to go to McCarthys Bar in CTB for a beer Very Happy .
snow conditions
rayscoops, riding round the Gower penninsular sounds good. Should be fabulous scenery.

Can't fault your reasoning for the Irish jaunt Toofy Grin
snow report
Liam, I haven't ridden the Marin trail for about 4 years. It was quite a good trail then with plenty of singletrack sections. The last section to the car park was especially good fun Toofy Grin

Let us know how you get on.
snow conditions
Caspar, Yeah, will do its supposed to be simular to the North Face trail but a little more extreme.

Another top spot i get out to weekly is Rivington pike, which has some hard climbs and scary descents Shocked Which make the climb worthwhile Cool
latest report
Just put air in my tyres, she'll sleep upside down to bathe the forks tonight. Oh yeah then got collered for my Shop Tab! This bike lark is expensive!
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Do you get to bike out in Chamonix in the summer?
snow report
Liam, Yeah, Le Tour, Brevent, Flegere and Les Houches.
snow conditions
rayscoops, The Gower peninsula is gorgeous. The terrain is a bit road oriented for my liking but as it is a flat and easy journey there's lot of time for stop offs and dips in the sea to refresh! Have you done any of the Afon Trail around Port Talbot? That's next on my list.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Nice, im supposed to be heading out to Morzine for a mates B,day although it aint until next summer. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 Summers ago, I MTB'd down "The Wall' on the Luc Alphand. Feeling elated afterwards, as I cycled home on the flat of the valley floor, I hit a tree stump, crashed and cracked 2 ribs. Embarassed
ski holidays
mr ted wrote:
The comparisons for me are huge, especially the faster flowing singletrack stuff. Almost feels like skiing in the trees. Strangely, I even enjoy the climbs Evil or Very Mad although i think this is mountain bike specific because there is no way i am buying skins whilst there are perfectly good chair lifts to be getting on!! Did my longest ride so far on Sunday - 44km, felt good! Very Happy

Wait until you take your mountain bike to a ski resort and put it on the lift!

Try it. It's as additive as skiing.
snow report
How about a snowHeads pedal around one of the better areas of the country?

It's been mooted before, but nothing ever happened. The boy Kramers' in Notts I think, NBT's in South Manc and I'm a bit more North than that, so I still say that the Peaks are a good bet.

Anyone fancy a pedal?
snow report
Quote:

Yeah, it's good fun - but I still like to do some of the climbs. Last time in Morzine we used the lifts sometimes but on XCs we were able to access far more terrain than the downhillers simply because we could cycle up to it.
snow report
My fitness is still an issue at this particular time. Part of the reason that I bought the bike is to help work on it, and I feel that I need to get some more miles under my belt before I start attempting anything too serious or strenuous, so ask me towards the end of the summer when I've had more time to work on it. Very Happy
ski holidays
Liam wrote:

Of to the Marin trail on saturday, for the first time anyone ridden it?

Yeah, it's a quality trail. Loads of fast flowing bermed singletrack, plenty of climbing etc. Pretty typical Welsh purpose built trail, which is no bad thing. Technically fairly easy, but you can make it as hard as you like with speed Smile
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
How about a snowHeads pedal around one of the better areas of the country?

It's been mooted before, but nothing ever happened. The boy Kramers' in Notts I think, NBT's in South Manc and I'm a bit more North than that, so I still say that the Peaks are a good bet.

Anyone fancy a pedal?

Great Nottinghamshire bike ride is a nice easy one....... 50 miles, dead flat.... £8. End of June.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/l-cycling/bikeride.htm
ski holidays
I would be up for a meet in the peaks, meet some fellow northern snowheads! Theres some great rides up there, i did a gruesome trail around Ladybower resovoir a couple of weeks ago.
snow report
Caspar wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, it's good fun - but I still like to do some of the climbs. Last time in Morzine we used the lifts sometimes but on XCs we were able to access far more terrain than the downhillers simply because we could cycle up to it.

Let's face it, we climb so we can descend!

The mistake ski-resort-turn-downhill-mountain-bike-resort made was to have their trails coming STRIGHT DOWN the front face of the mountain. It demands a different kind of skill and a different type of enjoyment. Not always what many mountain biker from flat land are looking for. Some resorts are finally learning to cater to the x-c bikers with "lift assisted x-c"! wink

When I was in California, I did a trail in the Sierra that's probably more to the liking of x-c riders:

First, the shuttle van (not lift) drop the bikers off 1000m above the village. Then, you wonder about the forest for hours, climbing and descending alternatively but more descend than climb. By the end of the day, you rack up a good 30-50km distance and 2000m vertical descend!

Without the "lift" of the shuttle van, it would have taken a super strong rider, which I'm not, to cover that much distance and vertical. And had so much fun! Smile

I heard Mammoth has lots of trails like that from the top of the lift where they drop you off.
snow report
fatirishman, or there's one in an altogether better county snowHead
snow report
abc, I know what you mean Smile
Part of the thing in Morzine was that the downhillers were all running the same few trails accessed by the lifts whilst we headed off onto some fantastic trails that they were surely missing out on because it took some uphill work to get to them.
snow conditions
abc, The French lift assisted downhills are too hardcore for me and they beat your bike to a pulp. I much prefer the Welsh man-made singletrack, with plenty of ups and downs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy