Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British skier dies from head-tree impact in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
saikee wrote:
A person is likely to sustained a higher injury when being crashed into by a skier with a helmet than one without.

Based on what?

I call *ollocks to that!

Think about it logically, a helmet is larger than a head (do you agree?)
The same energy spread over a larger surface area will reduce the pressure of the impact.

Let's try a simple experiment...

Walk into a door.
Now, at the same walking speed, walk into the corner of a desk.

Which causes more pain?
Which injured you more?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
saikee wrote:
If the law permits it I would probably leave the helmet at home if I ride my motorbike to work but pick it up for a run down the country roads.

I don't understand this at all. Surely there's a huge chance of being knocked off your motorbike in town - cars pullign out, overtaking, etc?

you awareness of your surrondings on a bike at say 20 mph are far better than with out a lid than with one.. most bikers wil assume no one can see them at any time and ride accordingly.. you could argue that anyone crossing the road should have to wear a lid seeing as in town is where most accidents happen what with cars pulling out, overtaking etc.. of course in the event of a stack your better off with a proper crash hellmet on.. i'd would be happy to take that chance to cruise around the seafront round by my way on a nice summers day..
you are allowed to ride a motorbike with a tee shirt and shorts on, that can smart when you fall off as well!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee wrote:

I am merely showing what compulsory helmet wearing has done to the motorcycling.

I think I'd be right in saying that this is just your own personal view of what helmet wearing has done to motorcycling. I don't think it's a mainstream view!

saikee wrote:

May be the risk level does warrant wearing a helmet in Canada if one ski in a big area without groomed/marked pistes but skiers running into each others directions and doing the 30ft gap drops.

I've never considered Canadian ski resorts to be unusually dangerous. Quite the opposite actually.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CANV CANVINGTON, I get the point of view, thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There is no safety against being hit by another skier. A person is likely to sustained a higher injury when being crashed into by a skier with a helmet than one without.

I would strongly agree with the second sentence (a friend had a knee completely mashed when out of control 6 year old in that head down position they love so much skied into her when she was standing sideways on, at the very edge of a piste, with a 3 year old). However the first sentence is surely nonsense? Whatever the cause of an impact which causes a head injury, your bonce is safer in a helmet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Have you driven motorcycles before and after the helmet wearing became mandatory? or better still have you tried to reach the maximum speed of say a one-litres unfared modern sport or retro bike? From memory sport bikes probably peaked at about 900cc when the helemt became mandatory. Now the same size engine will have difficulty of being called a sport bike even the power output may have since doubled.

It is true that helmet wearing is totally unrelated to the performance of combustion internal engine but like I said it is nearly "impossible" to drive a motorbike above 100mph without a full face helmet and so farings in the past if fitted to bikes would have little use. Those bikes are still being made today under the banner of retro bikes and you will have exactly the same problem to drive fast without a full face helmet. The difficulty of riding a naked bike at a ton is a well known fact if you ever read a motorcycle magazine.

If you have a full face helmet that can protect you in 200mph wind speed then the market for the other performance-related bits and pieces will open up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, so are you saying bikers should NOT be allowed to wear full face helmets then?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster wrote:
In Canadian resorts helmets are pretty much worn by everyone now, kids, adults, instructors, patrols and all. You're well in the minority over there without a helmet. Besides the protection, they're actually very comfortable and great in cold weather. Also gives me something to fix my helmet cam onto Wink

I might hazard to guess it's the weather. Temperature in many Canadian resorts are notorieously brutal.

Helmet, mated with fitting goggle, are significantly warmer than woolly hat alone.

The fact they provide protection may have been the motivation for some. For the rest, the other factor could be your mates are warm in their helmet while you're freezing in your woolly hats.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got a helmet at end of last ski trip and wore it all Easter in a very hot St Anton, It is a Briko helmet with lots of vents, it didn't feel hot and never had the urge to remove ear pads, sometimes I took it off on lifts to cool my head as it was very hot down in the valley but I really didn't notice it. It keeps the sun off your head and also looks better with googles. My girlfriend got one last week also, she feels safer with it on. I tend to like going fast and jumping so I think a helmet it a wise investment.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
you could argue that anyone crossing the road should have to wear a lid seeing as in town is where most accidents happen what with cars pulling out, overtaking etc..

You could make that argument and for sure pedestrians would be a little safer wearing helmets. Same goes for car drivers. It's called risk assessment. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near a motorbike without a full face lid and protective clothing. In fact I choose to keep off those death traps altogether!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee, I have ridden motorbikes before, and I'm reasonbly aware of basic aerodynamics. But your link from full face motorbike helmets to ski helmets is still ridiculous.

Your argument about speed on a motorbike is not about safety, but about wind blowing in your face - isn't that what you are harping on about - wind in the face - not hitting your head.
I don't see many skiers who are wearing helmets to reduce the wind blowing in their faces, they are doing it to protect their heads from knocks and bangs that could otherwise hurt them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
uktrailmonster wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
you could argue that anyone crossing the road should have to wear a lid seeing as in town is where most accidents happen what with cars pulling out, overtaking etc..

You could make that argument and for sure pedestrians would be a little safer wearing helmets. Same goes for car drivers. It's called risk assessment. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near a motorbike without a full face lid and protective clothing. In fact I choose to keep off those death traps altogether!

yup everyone is happy with different levels of risk.. some people actually aspire to do extra risky stuff for kicks..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, It's certainly true that helmets work really well in cold weather, but I don't think it's the primary reason most people wear them. It just makes it a complete no-brainer decision to wear one as there is no obvious downside. The Canadian resorts I go to are not notoriously cold anyway, it was averaging around -1 C last time in early March.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster wrote:
abc, It's certainly true that helmets work really well in cold weather, but I don't think it's the primary reason most people wear them. It just makes it a complete no-brainer decision to wear one as there is no obvious downside. The Canadian resorts I go to are not notoriously cold anyway, it was averaging around -1 C last time in early March.

there is no obvious downside to wearing kneepads, elbow pads and body armour.. and a gumshield.. tho the gumshield will make smoky tricky, not that anyone would dare do anything as risky as smoking wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, I suspect the real reason helmets are more popular in North America is simply down to culture. They just seem more safety conscious over there. You only have to drive around Milan, Paris, Barcelona etc to get an impression of what is considered to be a reasonable risk!
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
there is no obvious downside to wearing kneepads, elbow pads and body armour.. and a gumshield.. tho the gumshield will make smoky tricky, not that anyone would dare do anything as risky as smoking wink

Nor of wearing a helmet at home, where most accidents happen.
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

I started wearing knee and elbow pads for mountain biking because I got fed up skinning myself on roots and rocks etc. I haven't yet lost any skin in a skiing shunt, so its a risk I'm happy to take. My head on the other hand needs something on it most of the time anyway eg woolly hat or helmet. So I chose the helmet because it protects my head and I prefer it anyway with goggles.
latest report
laundryman wrote:

Most head injuries occur in the home do they? Really?
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, most "accidents" happen at home - that's why I moved!

Not sure about most "head injuries"
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

I started wearing knee and elbow pads for mountain biking because I got fed up skinning myself on roots and rocks etc. I haven't yet lost any skin in a skiing shunt, so its a risk I'm happy to take.

Call me risk averse, but I've started to wear things called "shoes" - my feet sometimes hurt when I walk over sharp rocks and stones without them.
Maybe I should stop wearing them - people only wear "shoes" because it's considered normal in our culture - absolutely nothing to do with comfort and protection.
snow conditions
If this was a mountain bike forum (where helmet debates are a daily subject) some nerdy idiot would by now have argued that helmets increase the chance of breaking your neck due to the increased twisting torque from the increased effective diameter of your head. How long does it take for natural selection to take its course?
latest report
saikee wrote:
[It is true that helmet wearing is totally unrelated to the performance of combustion internal engine but like I said it is nearly "impossible" to drive a motorbike above 100mph without a full face helmet and so farings in the past if fitted to bikes would have little use.

The 'ton up boys' on their old Nortons and Triumphs never seemed to have much problem.

I was close enough to the old Ace Cafe to know that few motor cyclists wore a lid in the old days.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
laundryman wrote:

Most head injuries occur in the home do they? Really?

They do to me. The cooker hood is the worst offender.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, 0 generations. Wink
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
abc, I suspect the real reason helmets are more popular in North America is simply down to culture. They just seem more safety conscious over there. You only have to drive around Milan, Paris, Barcelona etc to get an impression of what is considered to be a reasonable risk!

But as others pointed out, not all the resorts in N. America has mostly helmeted skiers!

I can personally attest to that as well. Of the resorts I went to in the Northeast US, helmeted skiers are still a distinct minority. For boarders though, helmets are the majority. Perhaps the fact there're more boarders in NA resorts cause that (inaccurate) perception?

As for the more "safety conscious" N. Americans, did you notice most N. American skiers/boarders don't put the safety bars down while riding in chair lifts? wink

Most N. American resorts also don't require helmets for accepting kids in ski school.
latest report
Helmets are mandatory here for Whistler Kids Ski Schools lessons.
ski holidays
abc, I was thinking of Whistler and Big White. Helmets are totally routine in those places. You certainly wouldn't look out of place wearing one. It's a relatively new trend, but I think it's a good one. Seems to be catching on more in Europe now too.

What's this rubbish about chair lift safety bars? Never experienced that anywhere I've been
ski holidays
uktrailmonster,

discussed at length here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24727&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chairlift&start=0
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster wrote:
What's this rubbish about chair lift safety bars? Never experienced that anywhere I've been

They didn't even have safety bars at Squaw Valley last time I was there.
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:

What is "that" you never experienced? Surely you don't mean to say N. American resorts don't have safety bars at all, do you? wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
OK, just to correct (again) the misinformed people who are going for the "There are no safety bars on any lifts in America"...
US Resorts I've been to where most lifts do NOT have safety bars/footrests:
Alta

US Resorts I've been to where most lifts do:
Stowe
Beckenridge
Keystone
Winter Park
Copper
Vail
Beaver Creak
Aspen/Snowmass
Deer Valley
Park City
The Canyons
Snowbird
Solitude
Brighton
Jackson Hole

and in Canada you can add Whistler, Lake Louise and Big White to the list of those with safety bars on all their chairs.
ski holidays
The back protector may be considered a more vital piece of equipment to safeguard the spine damage from an accidental impact. How many saftey-concious skiers know what it is and even wear one?

It cannot be trendy as the damn thing is hidden under the clothing.

I have seen it wore occasionally skiers but not to the same popularity as the helmet. One of my motorcyclist friend never leave home without it. My two nephews started to wear it after they joined the ski club.

I think someone has already said it that it is up to the individual to consider what level of risk one wish to take. There is many sport safer than skiing. Lawn bowling springs to mind.
snow report
Latchigo wrote:
saikee wrote:
[It is true that helmet wearing is totally unrelated to the performance of combustion internal engine but like I said it is nearly "impossible" to drive a motorbike above 100mph without a full face helmet and so farings in the past if fitted to bikes would have little use.

The 'ton up boys' on their old Nortons and Triumphs never seemed to have much problem.

I was close enough to the old Ace Cafe to know that few motor cyclists wore a lid in the old days.

I have no problem reaching 100mph on a KTM 620 EXC enduro bike, on the motorway, on knobbly tyres, in the rain, wearing a peaked MX helmet and goggles, no fairing, wide handlebars, high seat height etc. It's a bit wet and blowy without a full visor, and the ol' head gets shaken around a bit, but it also feels good and makes people look at you in disbelief! Not that this was risky or anything - in fact it was probably the risk that made me feel all wobbly when I got off at each service station to refill the 12 litre tank!
Sold that bike 3 yrs ago now though - miss it for the road, although my 200 is better on the MX track!
snow report
saikee, I think most skiers know what a back protector is, and many of the ones I know who go off cliffs, etc, do tend to wear them.

Helmets aren't "trendy"
They provide better heat control than hats do, they protect your head against minor knocks and injuries, and that's something I consider worth while.
The fact that you are so anti-helmet is quite scary - are you too much of a man to need one?
snow report
Oh, for goodness sake! You can all read the scientific research. As you are all adults rolling eyes, you can then decide whether you, personally, want to wear a helmet. That's it rolling eyes . Why do you all have to argue that your view is right and then try and persuade anyone with an opposing view that they are wrong? I just don't get it Puzzled. Are you all politicians?
snow report
maggi, sorry, we're just acting like a bunch of women. We'll stop now... Laughing
snow conditions
maggi, I have been informed that arguing a viewpoint to death is what internet forums are for; certainly looks like it! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
sorry

Ah! Not a politician then.

Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
we're just acting like a bunch of women.

But still a man rolling eyes Laughing .
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
maggi, I have been informed that arguing a viewpoint to death is what internet forums are for;

And you said you were new to all this! Shocked
snow report
maggi, I am. Perhaps I'm just a quick learner, or something. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy