Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train to Bourg St Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have driven the past 3 years and feel it may be time to try an alternative method of transport to get to Les Arcs next year.

Only problem is I will be travelling mid week and as far as I am aware the Snowtrain only runs weekends.

I was thinking of getting the Eurostar from Ashford to Paris then on to BSM by regular SNCF means.

Do I have to travel across Paris to make the connection or is it possible to change trains at the same station?

TIA
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a daily overnight service from Paris Gare du Austerlitz to BSM. It's easy to get from Gare du Nord to Austerlitz: five stops on the Metro, or shortish taxi ride if you don't want to drag your ski luggage on the underground.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CP, The Tarentaise overnight sleeper service runs every night from Gare d'Austerlitz. leaves about 10.20 pm and arrives in BSM about 06.30. Gare d'Austerlitz is about 20 minutes from Gare de Nord by cab and costs around 10 Euros or it did the last time I travelled. Easy to get a cab from Gare de Nord, we've eaten on the Eurostar but there are some quite good restuarants near the Gare d'Austerlitz, worth noting as there aren't any facilities on the train apart from showres and loos at the end of each carriage. Just hope you don't mind sharing, there are 4 berths in 1st class and 6 berths in 2nd class, it's worth upgrading as we've never had to share in the 1st class couchettes. You should contact RailEurope and ask them for PREM tickets, these are promotional fares that SNCF release 90 days before travel, I once got from Lyons to Lille by TGV for 19Euros , the return fare from London to BSM used to be £99.00 but it's a couple of years since I last did the journey
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CP,

About £155.00 at today's prices as I looked into this a few weeks ago
Thats Eurostar from Ashford International to Paris and TGV to Moutier.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm sure we've travelled daytime midweek from Gare d'Austerlitz to BSM - a lovely way to travel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A couple of things worth considering.

If you do a daytime train, you might be able to change in Lille rather than Paris. Just use the SNCF or Dbahn website to see if there are any direct trains.

We used eurostar/austerlitz last week, and if you are of a particularly fragile constitution you may find the stairs out of Austerlitz metro station into the main station a bit of a struggle. Perhaps there was a lift or escalators I didn't spot...

seat61 is the ultimate 'what are my train options to Europe' website.

d
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pendodave, When we looked last year, if you changed at Lille, you then had to change again at Lyon & Chambery. I dont remember the stairs at Austerlitz - I think we must have found an escalator.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great info

Thanks very much
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP,

You may have to get a local train from Moutier to BSM if you are travelling TGV..or the overnighter should go into BSM... last time I used one it left about 2230 from Gare du Lyon and got in about 0815. Austerlizt for TGV, GDL for overnight trains, I think.

I have found taxis the best way to get across Paris and they aren't as expensive as you would think. But Metro is about 40 mins if you know where you are going so allow for 1 hour plus if you don't
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, there is one or two night trains from austerlitz every day. If you're travelling with all your ski gear, a taxi is a sensible choice to commute from Gare du Nord to Austerlitz.
Use the voyages-SNCF.com website for time tables, prices and reservations. It speaks english but make sure you use the advanced search button to see all the options : for instance, if you travel with kids, the purchase of an "Enfant Plus" card is interesting : 50 or 25% discount on the tickets for 4 persons (+ the card holder), a free seat for kids under 4, unlimited for a year. It costs 68E and you can order it online or buy it at the train station.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David@traxvax wrote:
You should contact RailEurope and ask them for PREM tickets, these are promotional fares that SNCF release 90 days before travel

I believe that should be Preums tickets. It means "firsts" tickets and comes I guess from the word premiere. It is what small children shout when they say, win a running race, in France of course.

If you succeed in ordering one of these tickets be sure to shout "PREUMS !!!" and punch your fist in the air otherwise you will suffer bad karma which will result in you missing your train or French railworkers going on strike or you breaking a leg on the platform at BsM.

Preums, deuz... etc.

They can offer very good value but normally sell out on the day or two after they are offered.

You may find that it is possible to travel from Ashford to Eurolille then on to BSM via the Belgium snow train avoiding Paris altogether. It is certainly possible to do Grenoble -> Lille -> Ashford and it is pretty quick, around 5 hours.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy