Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

T bar technique

Poster: A snowHead
Back on skis, drag lifts are generally pretty easy compared to with a board but there is one problem I still have. If sharing a t-bar with a child or someone who is much lighter. How to avoid pivoting because of the weight imbalance on steeper pitches? It is worse if it is a stranger and I don't want to get too cosy Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not always possible - but I try not to share T-Bars. It's far easier and safer on your own!
snow report
 brian
brian
nessy, there's no easy answer. Having shared t-bars at easter with my 8 year old (almost bearable) and my 6 year old (bar across calves), I share your pain Confused I'm 6'3" btw, I guess it must look pretty comical.

Disagree about not sharing. As well as being not selfish (if there's any queue), it's more relaxing if there's weight on both sides of the bar.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nessy, Avoid small kids or much smaller/bigger peeps on T bars. V. diff if you cant. Make sure you both hold onto the outside of the bar as well as the T part.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find going solo or with my wife when she's on her board, it's actually easier than going with another skier. I did share a T-bar ride a few weeks back with a small kid, wasn't too bad just feel a little unsecure with the bar just above the back of your knees.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
Make sure you both hold onto the outside of the bar as well as the T part.

Or push the T part away from you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski wrote:
Make sure you both hold onto the outside of the bar as well as the T part.

I only have 2 hands, so where do I put my poles? (No rude answers please rolling eyes .)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maggi,

the hand with the poles(outside) is also just holding the end of the T under your butt... (sort of pushing it in)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
little tiger, Thanks. Still don't like them though. I wish they would tell you at the bottom, what the top is like. I particularly hate the ones where there is only one side to go for both people to leave the T-bar. If I've never done that particular one before, and find I'm on the wrong side and have to wait for the other person to get off first, (and they wait until the last possible second Shocked ), then I really, really don't like them Evil or Very Mad .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi, this all seems a bit of a, hmm, social problem?

I assure you I would remind the other person, irritate them beyond belief by random edge sets and steering, or leave them by dropping off back and skating to the exit, as needed. Without a qualm, that is.

Ya know, there could be book money in this, whaddya reckon easiski?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi, So far I've not tried a T bar, but I fully support your notion about telling you at the bottom what the top is like (I harbour that thought with All lift types). In some ways I find the logistics of the lifts as fearful a prospect as the skiing. I just hope that like the skiing that all this sort of thing gets easier with practice. To be honest I'm still dreading the prospect of my first chair or T bar 'with skis'!! I'm kind of hoping that MK has a poma!! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another thought has just occured that I thought I would share with you bearing in mind the first post concerned children. I do recall Eva this year, having to ride with her seven year old son on the T just to get him up the particular run he wanted to do as he was finding that he wasn't heavy enough to hold the T bar down himself - how heavy would a child need to be to be able to overcome the spring mechanism?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum,

Chairs are simple... to get on... you sit down on the chair.... to get off... hands on knees and stand up!
If the worst comes to the worst you go around again .... where's the drama there?

DO NOT try to hang on etc... if you fall getting on or off then HEAD DOWN ... you do not want to have a head to head with a chair! (I was taught if a kid starts to fall on loading or unloading to shove it to the snow where its head is safe...) A strategically placed ski pole in front of a small kids belly seems to work very well ... but I do admit with the smallest (3 years) I tend to grab a collar or back of bib in case they try to wriggle...

T-bar's are a tad trickier.... FLEX YOUR ANKLES... stiffening the ankles will make your skis bounce around more because you gave yourself stiffer suspension system... just keep those legs relaxed but enough strength in the muscles to keep toes(skis) pointed straight ahead...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, thanks, some good tips!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
I'm kind of hoping that MK has a poma!! wink

You're in luck there, then Smile

Personally, I really don't like Pomas. Chairs are much easier, honest! And you get to have a nice rest (& admire the view) on the way up...
snow conditions
I was on a T Bar behind a 6'2" 15 stone man who had a little girl (6yrs ish) put on the T Bar with him by her instructor. Needless to say both fell off - totally irresponsible of the Instructor I thought.

Personally I hate them and do try and avoid them at all costs, my SO is not good to be on with, he has his skis too wide. Leaning in towards each other is supposed to help though.
ski holidays
Did T-bar for first time ever this year in Wengen. I thought that they weren't as bad as they are made out to be. In particular I think that they are much easier on steep bits than a button lift. The bar just pulls you along whereas the button tries to rip away from you. Sharing with my kids didn't cause any grief although as a skier it was tricker sharing with a boarder as their board tends to go sideways. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had my first experience of Tbars in Zell a few years back. Managed ok but got into the firing line of girl behind me who wouldn't let go once she got to the top. Bloody thing knocked me off my feet & dragged me backwards. She did start to apologise but one look from me & she took the wiser option & fled the scene. Pretty spectacular bruise on my right buttock, full kalideoscope of colours (similar to the air immediately after incident)
snow conditions
Hi, this may not get a response, but I am currently a year 12 student from NSW, Australia and for my HSC Design and Technology major project, I am thinking of solving the problem of riding the T-bar with children or with someone with a large height difference by making an adjustable t-bar which can accommodate for the height difference. Any feedback, improvements or any general comments would be much appreciated and if anyone would benefit from this idea, it would be great if you could reply!
snow conditions
@talacysea, well done for reviving a 16 year old thread. The great majority of t-bars in Europe have been replaced with chairlifts or simply abandoned, so it’s not the problem it once was. In our ski area (which comprises 3 villages and 200+ km of pistes) we still have 3 t-bars, but I don’t think any of them will be around for long. Holiday skiers paying fortunes for ski passes simply won’t tolerate these things any more (and why should they).
snow report
@telford_mike, haha yeah I didn’t think anyone would respond but glad someone did Smile I live in Australia and there are quite a lot of t-bars still around, especially in Perisher and Thredbo, and the recent trip I had there, all the lifts were closed and only the t-bars were open, which inspired by project.
snow report
@talacysea, still plenty of t bars in Scandinavia, and people here don't make a fuss about them, perhaps because they've grown up with them. Surface lifts are much more resistant to the wind than chairs or gondolas.

It's an interesting idea, can't imagine what solution you'll come up with but good luck.
ski holidays
@talacysea, same here in Scotland. The speed the t-bar comes through will negate the opportunity to make an adjustment on the bar itself.

So the adjustment would be a personal aid to attach to the bar. However, I can’t see anyone carting extra bits about just for a T-bar.
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@talacysea, same here in Scotland. The speed the t-bar comes through will negate the opportunity to make an adjustment on the bar itself...

And survive the whip when dismounting/releasing at the top.
latest report
I actually think this should be a simple test for on-mountain competence.

I relatively steep t-bar. If you can make it to the top without falling or doing anything weird you are good enough for the slope. It’s not that hard but catches out those who over-estimate their ability (of which I see far too many on the slopes). The advent of chairlifts has made this worse, it is so easy to access the spoke that many do so without the ability to safely navigate the piste. Generally find a better standard of slope user on surface lift served slopes.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
I actually think this should be a simple test for on-mountain competence.

I relatively steep t-bar. If you can make it to the top without falling or doing anything weird you are good enough for the slope. It’s not that hard but catches out those who over-estimate their ability (of which I see far too many on the slopes). The advent of chairlifts has made this worse, it is so easy to access the spoke that many do so without the ability to safely navigate the piste. Generally find a better standard of slope user on surface lift served slopes.

Don't you just hate a condescending prick?
snow report
@zikomo, Ooh I don't think we've had a "License To Ski" thread for a while... still a terrible, terrible idea.
latest report
T-bars are still common in Austria. Although mainly on nursery slopes, they are also used on some of the glaciers, and to serve terrain parks. There are a few still around that provide 'main lifts' without alternatives, often in smaller resorts. Fortunately the Gauxjoch lift linking Paß Thurn with Kitzbühel was replaced by a chairlift last season. The Kitzsteinhorn still has several, but in main season only the Maurerlift does not have an alternative - but it's worth the effort as the two blacks down are often the best snow on the mountain on the Maurer glacier.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm 6'5" and heavy - I won't share a T-bar. I've had too many bad experiences - and it's always the bigger person who comes off worst - a T-bar across the thigh can get painful real quick.

Chairlifts are also not straightforward, there's a technique to getting off, and the lower the lift the more difficult. And the child restraints that some lifts have, press down on the most unfortunate if places!
ski holidays
@talacysea, I'd suggest you start a new dedicated thread. Your post is just going to get lost in the sea of those who don't realise they're responding to a zombie thread.

Edit, Sorry I see you already have.
ski holidays
Quick note to all who dislike the "t".
Do not visit Glacier 3000 (les Diablerets/Gstaad) one of the t is approx. 2.8km long. Great scenery though!
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:
Quick note to all who dislike the "t".
Do not visit Glacier 3000 (les Diablerets/Gstaad) one of the t is approx. 2.8km long. Great scenery though!

Can't wait, now it's included on the Magic Pass. My favourite place is nearby Les Mosses with 11 drags and no chairs. I can cover 150km in a week on them Toofy Grin
snow report
I - 6'1" and pushing 15 stone - shared a T-bar with my 5 year old daughter in Finland a few times. Putting the bar behind my knees seemed to be the way forward, meaning the bar on the other side was about the right height for her. It would be a stretch to call it a comfortable journey though.
snow report
T-bars account for only 5-10% of all the world's skilifts.

Despite being -90% cheaper to install than a chairlift, T-bars are not popular with customers (who buy the liftpasses).

T-bars are a niche (and declining) problem for the ski industry.

As others have already said above, T-bars move too fast at the entry and exit points to be adjustable.

You'd have to slow the T-bar speed to a point where liftlines or financial losses become unviable.
latest report
‘90% cheaper’ and more resilient to strong winds is a good reason to keep them and to keep ticket prices down.

They are also the most social of all ski lifts. It’s impossible to get on one and not talk to your companion. It’s like Country dancing ! The secret is leaning your shoulders together. It’s just practice Laughing
ski holidays
Riding t's was just a part of learning ski technique.
Starting my journey many years ago on Cairngorm, if you don't use the t you don't ski!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy