Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Redevelopers of Wycombe Summit ski slopes face two water issues ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... not to do with making snow.

The owners of Wycombe Summit ski centre, the main building of which burned down in November 2005, are facing two water-related issues for their ambitious plans to build an indoor snow slope, ice rink, climbing wall and new outdoor ski slope.

One concerns the water supply to the site, which needs to be boosted to enable more effective fire-fighting. Secondly, the local authority are concerned that the new construction will cause more rainwater run-off and possible flooding.

This report from Bucks Free Press.

Anyone down there (or former user of Wycombe) have any comments on this, or the latest plans in general? An earlier report from the same paper [with reader comments below it] talks of plans to reopen in September 2008, and an enthusiastic reception for the plans, which may include a grass-surfaced roof for the indoor snow slope:

Bucks Free Press [3 April]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More information and impressions of the plans for Wycombe Summit:

Architect's drawing of the site [pdf file]
View of proposed new buildings.

The key proposals:

• 100m enclosed real snow slope
• 30m enclosed beginners real snow slope, which will also provide for Children's Snow Play
• A leisure ice skating rink measuring 30m by 20m
• The longest 300m slope will be retained as existing i.e. outdoors with the use of dry ski slope matting
• A facilities building of approximately 4,000 square metres, accommodating reception, lounge bars, restaurant and associated retail
• A secondary reception building will provide ticketing for the ice skating and also accommodate dedicated children's party rooms.
• Rock-climbing facilities. These will be located externally on the rear wall of the ice rink building.
• Marked trails through the neighbouring Deangarden Wood (some 90 acres) with signed points of interest for recreational and educational nature walks.
• Extensive Sedum roofing – a natural “growing” roof covering that will blend with the rural location.
• Car parking for 232 cars.

Wycombe Summit's website has further details: http://www.wycombesummit.co.uk
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, I used to work down at Wycombe as an Instructor and I can never remember any problems with flooding or excessive rainwater run-off. They always seemed to have enough water for the sprinkler system for the slope itself but I wouldn't know whether the water pressure was sufficient for fire fighting. It will be good to see the place up and running again, it was a good place to work.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I did a BASI refresher there some while back, and thoroughly enjoyed the day. It was a really well-managed place (that could have used a few more fire extinguishers).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Water for the sprinklers was definately a problem on the last Club National race there, it ran out mid morning so the 2nd run was done on a dry slope. there was then enough for the afternoon run.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="David Goldsmith"]
Quote:
(that could have used a few more fire extinguishers).

Why was there a fire & insufficent extinguishers?

The number of extinguishers, & other fire fighting equipment, is governed by the local fire service/buliding regulation department.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As far as I know Wycombe Summit were complying with these regulations.

From memory, there were people on the site at the time but there were insufficient resources to tackle the blaze. Another ski building that famously burnt down was the Shieling restaurant, halfway up Cairngorm. Can't remember if anyone was on the scene at that blaze but I should think it also suffers inadequate fire hydrants. Many buildings in Britain must be remote from an adequate water supply to tackle a big fire.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As you have previously mentioned, there were no hydrants anywhere near the old building and the fire tenders initially had to drive about 1/2 a mile to refill, they then laid a large diameter pipe all the way up the road beside the slope to enable them to pump from the bottom of the hill. Unfortunately by this time it was too late, a fire in the kitchen and a completely wooden building. Crying or Very sad I think the cause was put down to a gas leak.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy