Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The global ski industry appears to be doing nothing - ZILCH - about climate change

Poster: A snowHead
We had a very much more extensive rail network as recently as the 1960s. It was a crap way of doing most journeys which is why people forsook it for personal cars. There's no way in the world the railways could be upgraded to shift people on the journeys they currently do by car and plane (and train).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petemillis,

I saw the news programme about an Inuit feeling angry that there were too many people and cars polluting his land, making his traditional way of life impossible.

We went to attend that interview on a brand new snowmobile and the programme shows other Inuits travelling on sledges pulled by dogs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee, amazing init? I'm not convinced that it's pollution that will be the end of the Inuit way of life. Instead it'll be the young Inuit's thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. They showed the young Inuits who had left their families to go and live is towns where they thought everything would be great, only to find it's not so good after all, at which point they turn to drink and drugs. Exactly the same happens in rural villages - the kids want to go and live in the exciting places like Swansea and end up as heroin addicts. Thing is, kids want computers, video games, nightclubs, a wide selection of potential partners - and none of that exists in the middle of an icy wilderness. I wonder if the angry Inuit is more resentful about the young leaving, knowing that is going to be the end of Inuit way of life and blames the developed world for enticing them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
petemillis, I expect you're right. Makes sense to me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
David Goldsmith, I disagree with your headline as it is misleading.

The headline is/was:
Quote:
The global ski industry appears to be doing nothing - ZILCH - about climate change

Your point is:
Quote:
Several ski resorts are powered by renewable energy - whether that is solar, wind or hydro. I believe that is an attempt to reduce their impact regarding climate change

My point is that - yes - many resorts are now purchasing renewable energy, but their development policies are to build more accommodation and pull in more business.

Now, if you couple the two you find that the electricity causes less CO2 pollution, but the transport of the new skiers to and from the resorts causes a huge net increase in that pollution.

The problem has to be looked at in its entirety, globally. I stand by each word of that headline: the ski industry, which is not surprisingly growth-driven, appears to be doing ZILCH about climate change.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, "appearances" are deceptive, then!

I've stated that many resorts are buying renewable energy, encouraging people to use mass transport, etc. That, to me, is doing SOMETHING. If they didn't do that, then I think you could stand by the headline. But the fact is they are.

Tell me, what are local councils in the UK doing to reduce pollution in the construction of new houses, new roads, new airport terminals? If you want to start a campaign to change the world, start at home.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say one should start anywhere and everywhere. Ignore the hype and the greenwash. Everyone's on a green bandwagon at the moment.

Ultimately the only thing that proves whether anything is happening is the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere (which continues on an upward trend) ... and the ski industry appears to be contributing to an increase, rather than a decrease, in that percentage.

When you say that many resorts are "encouraging people to use mass transport" ... which resorts and what type of mass transport, from where? With respect, I don't think much of significance is happening in that arena, which is crucially important.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, what would you define as "significant", because I suspect from the comments posted that no matter what facts I provide you with, you'll discount them as insignificant. So, define significant, and then I'll see what I can find, but I'm not going to waste my time getting facts only for you to disregard them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's pretty straightforward. Just find a ski resort - any ski resort - that's reducing the number of skiers arriving by plane or car, or a combination of the two. If they're not achieving that, it's not significant how many windmills and solar panels they're installing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Climate change and carbon economics is anything but...
David Goldsmith wrote:
... pretty straightforward.

Anyone who tries to make a difference by taking apparently straightforward initiatives like taxing planes out of the ski is doomed to failure, in my opinion.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, That seems to be just your opinion of what is significant, and seems to only be based on reducing air and road travel. Why are you not including trains? As has been pointed out above, there is significant environmental impact resulting from both the construction and use of rail services.

If you really want to reduce CO2 then perhaps you should start in China because, unless some reductions are made there, anything ski resorts do will make no significant difference.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This thread is becoming cop-out city.

Sorry. OUR actions are a contributory threat to the atmosphere and many millions of people worldwide who will suffer an increase in flood, desert and famine risk from rising sea levels and all other impacts of global warming.

They also threaten the future of snow for future skiers.

rob@rar, so what do you propose?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, Zermatt - a fairly effective strategy for reducing arrivals by car... wink Then there are the new TGV services this year to the east of Paris, and the funicular from BSM to les arcs, now a few years old - all of which should improve numbers arriving by train.

So those are a few things more than zilch...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
rob@rar, so what do you propose?
I would not propose meaningless self-sacrifice.

Earlier in this thread I suggested a few things which might make a significant difference, none of which specifically target the ski industry but would potentially make a meaningful reduction of carbon emissions. Above all else the solution will only come when there are incentives to reduce carbon emissions, the carrot not the stick, so things like carbon allowances & trading will be key. More investment will be required at a global scale in renewable energy research and commissioning. Advocating that people stop going skiing runs counter to human nature and will make no significant difference to global carbon emissions, and it is therefore doomed to failure.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, "Advocating that people stop going skiing runs counter to human nature"

as this thread shows, apparently not for everyone! but I agree.

We all make choices. There is a disturbing puritan tendency at the far edge of lots of subjects, environmentalism, religion, vegetarianism, left and right wing politics, etc where people define themselves by what they don't do and who they aren't, rather than what they do do, and who they are.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
rob@rar, "Advocating that people stop going skiing runs counter to human nature"

as this thread shows, apparently not for everyone! but I agree.

We all make choices. There is a disturbing puritan tendency at the far edge of lots of subjects, environmentalism, religion, vegetarianism, left and right wing politics, etc where people define themselves by what they don't do and who they aren't, rather than what they do do, and who they are.

I suppose I should have said "runs counter to human nature for the majority, except those of a Hairshirt Tendency and those who have nothing to lose because they've already given up skiing". You're absolutely spot on about how the zealots on the fringes of any movement define themselves. I have no trouble with that, but object when they try to force their zealotry onto others.
snow report
Let's avoid labelling each other and work towards a consensus solution.

It's my belief that we'll only make progress on this when the oil wells begin to be shut down, and are then progressively shut down. Carbon-trading, carbon-offsetting and other measures do not really get to the heart of the issue.

We're reducing the cancer-causing air pollution of cigarettes by taxing them heavily and banning smoking in public. But there's a growing realisation that fossil-fuel smoking is the greater threat to humanity.
latest report
David Goldsmith, look on the bright side. Billions of people worldwide, rich and poor, are benefiting from increased economic activity. I'm sure you're old enough to remember when millions died in famines in Asia. That doesn't happen any more. Healthy life expectancy has increased dramatically in all parts of the world except sub-Saharan Africa. I think a lot of what you advocate would tend to kill the goose that lays the golden egg, to avert a threat that may not be nearly as bad as you imagine.

As rob@rar says, let's have more research into alternative energy sources. In the meantime, let's build some nuclear power plants. We should in any case look to reduce our dependency on middle-eastern oil and conserve oil and coal supplies for use as chemical feedstock.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Let's avoid labelling each other and work towards a consensus solution.

It's my belief that we'll only make progress on this when the oil wells begin to be shut down, and are then progressively shut down. Carbon-trading, carbon-offsetting and other measures do not really get to the heart of the issue.

We're reducing the cancer-causing air pollution of cigarettes by taxing them heavily and banning smoking in public. But there's a growing realisation that fossil-fuel smoking is the greater threat to humanity.

It would be nice if you could start moving towards a consensus position, but you're continuing to talk about taxing airline travel to death, shutting down oilfields and disregarding the important work that is beginning on a viable mechanism for reducing carbon emissions. I think my 'zealot' label is pretty accurate.
snow conditions
David , I agree about avoiding labelling - so let's not label the entire skiing indusrty as feckless, and by implication most skiiers. I think that energy saving and carbon reducing measures are justified - if only because they will run out sooner or later. But we have to bite the nuclear bullet.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
nuclear bullet

Well, I've heard of depleted uranium artillery shells! wink
latest report
Sometimes a bit of zealotry is needed to shake up status quos and vested interests. It's sometimes needed to counteract cons, hype, greenwash, fake posturing and so on.

Quite a bit of zealotry is exercised in boardrooms of major corporations, when you look at what goes on.
snow report
David Goldsmith, fair points... but I think zealotry and its concommitents do present a rather large target for those who wish to avoid the issue.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Sometimes a bit of zealotry is needed to shake up status quos and vested interests.

Not if you want popular support. I think zealotry is the quickest way to frighten off people who can see the complexity of the situation but may well have some sympathies for the basic position taken by the zealots. As I said earlier, I do think there's a problem and I would like to see it addressed, but I won't change my behaviour unless I feel that my pain is helping to achieve something significant. So David, where's that consensus position you were asking for?
ski holidays
How is heavy taxing of cigarettes reducing cancer-causing air pollution? Taxing has made no difference at all. More kids smoke now than did several years ago. Poor people who you would think wouldn't be able to afford to smoke still smoke. Rich people are unaffected by increased taxing on smokes. The taxing can keep going up until the poor can't afford to buy them, but the well off aren't going to be affected by even £10 tax on a pack of fags. Banning smoking in enclosed public places will have an effect in discouraging social smoking. But the government will still be happy to permit the sale of smokes as they make so much money on them.
In same way with tax on aviation fuel - increase the taxes to a point where the less well-off can no longer afford to fly, the richer among us remain unaffected. The government would still be happy for flights to be encouraged as they would make so much more on the av fuel taxes.
Are you suggesting that we should all just ban ourselves from flying to the resorts before the government does something? Like bite off our noses to spite our faces?
I've been involved in a big hoohaa over the past few years concerning vehicular rights on certain byways. Lots of idiots thought it was a good idea to stop using these byways so that there was no issue for the governement to deal with in the misguided hope that the rights would then not be removed. But the government already had it's agenda set. These people stopped using the byways, the lost out on a few years of enjoyment, and rights were removed anyway and now gone forever. Whereas other byways we were able to keep open by sufficient use to show that a right of way should be kept open as it was. It was a case of use it or lose it. Voluntarilly cutting back on an activity will leade quicker to its demise.

David, I'm sorry to have to ask, but are you a member of the Ramblers Association? Some of what you say sounds like it could have come straight out ofthe mouth of Janet Street-Porter and co.
ski holidays
No, I'm not a member of the Ramblers Association, or the Ranters Association.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
Sometimes a bit of zealotry is needed to shake up status quos and vested interests.

I think zealotry is the quickest way to frighten off people who can see the complexity of the situation ...

It's really not that complex. This problem is the result of burning way too much oil, coal and natural gas.

So we've got to burn far less of it, by shutting down the extraction and refinement of it.

This could be a cause for great optimism ... rather than fatalism.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
It's really not that complex.

I think that reflects upon the simplicity of the writer rather the subject.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

I think zealotry is the quickest way to frighten off people who can see the complexity of the situation ...

It's really not that complex. This problem is the result of burning way too much oil, coal and natural gas.

So we've got to burn far less of it, by shutting down the extraction and refinement of it.

This could be a cause for great optimism ... rather than fatalism.

OK, moot point whether the problem is complex. What's beyond doubt is that a realistic set of solutions to the problem is complex on a monumental and global scale. If you don't recognise that you have no hope of moving towards a solution. Shutting down the oil will not happen. Somewhere between optimism and fatalism is realism, and that's what we should be striving for.
snow report
To my eyes it's 20 years too late for soft options. The current actions by governments and industries are quite inadequate and are just not addressing the immediacy needed.

I have a copy of Geographical Magazine on the desk in front of me. The front cover is a photo of Alpine peaks. The cover lines read "The Alps R.I.P.?" "Pollution on the roof of Europe". The photo shows a pollution haze across the snow-covered mountains.

The date of the magazine is June 1988.
latest report
David Goldsmith, "pollution haze" has a COOLING effect on the earth. Perhaps we should have more of it. Complex business, this eco stuff, isn't it?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
The current actions by governments and industries are quite inadequate and are just not addressing the immediacy needed.

So you think that advocating even more extreme measures is likely to win public and governmental support?
snow conditions
What extreme measures? The governments talk of 20%, 40%, 60% projected reductions in CO2 and then tell us we need new airport runways.

The roads are choked with traffic. I see no sign of measures at all, let alone extreme measures.

We blame the Chinese, yet their industrial boom is partly a reflection of western hunger for cheap goods.

Sensible measures, which I'd hardly describe as extreme, could include shutting airports for a day or two per week and regular 'no car' days. There has to be a serious and demonstrative evocation of crisis management. I live in an area of London where the school run is like a mass car rally, with mad motorists getting mad with each other, when their kids could be happily walking or cycling to school.

How are we going to reduce pollution? Dream it away?
latest report
David Goldsmith, when was the photo taken? There was a big volcanic eruption in Ruiz, Colombia, in 1985 that killed 25,000 people. Perhaps the prevailing south-west winds brought a fair bit of gear over the hills. The sulfate aerosols from volcanic eruptions have quite a long residence time in the atmosphere and form a sulfate haze. See http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/What/VolGas/SO2Aerosols.html , interesting quote "n contrast to these explosive eruptions, one of the most severe volcano-related climate effects in historical times was associated with a largely nonexplosive eruption that produced very little ash--the 1783 eruption of Laki crater-row in Iceland. The eruption lasted 8-9 months and extruded about 12.3 km3 of basaltic lava over an area of 565 km2. A bluish haze of sulfur aerosols all over Iceland destroyed most summer crops in the country; the crop failure led to the loss of 75% of all livestock and the deaths of 24% of the population (H. Sigurdsson, 1982). The bluish haze drifted east across Europe during the 1783-1784 winter, which was unusually severe."
" The eruption of El Chichon, Mexico, in 1982 conclusively demonstrated this idea was correct. The explosive eruption injected at least 8 Mt of sulfur aerosols into the atmosphere, and it was followed by a measureable cooling of parts of the Earth's surface and a warming of the upper atmosphere"

The effects of volcanic emissions seem to be quite severe and long lasting. And volcanoes are erupting all the time. Any temp drop resulting from an eruption is sure to be followed by a rise, and each eruption will release loads of water vapour and CO2 into the atmos I would think.. And with eruptions occuring all the time, under the sea as well......
snow report
petemillis, also the eruption of Tambora (in modern day Indonesia) in the early 19th century caused "the year without a summer" in Europe and North America.
latest report
from same website....
"Ozone depletion promoted by volcanic sulfur aerosols. The sulfate aerosols also promote complex chemical reactions on their surfaces that alter chlorine and nitrogen chemical species in the stratosphere. This effect, together with increased stratospheric chlorine levels from chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) pollution, generates chlorine monoxide (ClO), which destroys ozone (O3)."
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
petemillis, also the eruption of Tambora (in modern day Indonesia) in the early 19th century caused "the year without a summer" in Europe and North America.

Yes, an extremely interesting event. Charles Dickens was 4.
A time of intense winters and frozen rivers in southern England.

Don't know when the photo for Geographical Magazine was taken.
snow conditions
petemillis, I believe there is pretty good research showing that cigarette consumption is price-senstive - up to a point.

David Goldsmith, I am not sure all your measure are "sensible". Anyway we need more non-fossil fuel sources whatever happens - which brings us back to nuclear... But lets tax aviation fuel in the meantime - it's a totally absurd subsidy of the aviation industry.
latest report
David Goldsmith,

Quote:
Sensible measures, which I'd hardly describe as extreme, could include shutting airports for a day or two per week and regular 'no car' days. There has to be a serious and demonstrative evocation of crisis management. I live in an area of London where the school run is like a mass car rally, with mad motorists getting mad with each other, when their kids could be happily walking or cycling to school.

In my line of work I have a great difficulty finding, but I am sure such people exist, anybody in the Middle East who would turn off the air conditioning when going out because the heat can become difficult to bear on return. This is especially true in a construction site where the accommodation cabins are baked hot as hell as in an oven.

The west may have an energy shortage but fuel is retailed at 5 to 10p a litre other folks are not that concerned with global warming when they are already in 40 to 50 degree C heat everyday.

I am not cynical but selective actions by a few dividuals shielded from the rest of the world can hardy change the global situation. I don't have a problem for people doing what they think is right for the future and the environment but labelling their actions sensible may be out of context relative to the rest of the world. In one country I know of the governement is subsidising 85% and 61% the production cost of electricity and water and a diesel family car is as rare as a rose in a desert.
snow report
seems pretty pointless to take to task the bits and bobs around the edge of energy consumption.. if you really belive in global meltdown due to carbon emmissions then go the the big dogd.. the drax power stations and industry,, make all electrical production nuclear.. if the world is going to end if we dont reduce carbon emissions then surely this will save the world now and leave a few hundred more years to deal with the nuclear waste.. personally im enjoying this fine spring weather and am hoping for a belter of a summer.. with all the recent rain i am also hoping to use my hose pipe a lot . ahem , cough...
ill worry about global warming when my air con bill exceeds my heating bill Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy