Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The curious incident....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...of the SatNav.

So, there I am, travelling to La Grave, when the SatNav leads me to Valoire. Which is 50 minutes away. Over a col that the sign in front of me claims is closed. I'm not the brightest cookie, but I'm sure that isn't good.

Sure enough, a quick call to the Edelweiss confirms that Valoire is a very bad idea because the col is closed. The answer? Backtrack via Genoble. Adding 2.5 hours to a 3 hour journey.

Moral? Check the SatNav route before you leave Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, not a very bright SatNav, ours doesn't send us to Serre Che via (I assume the Col du Telegraph and Galibier) Valloire. rolling eyes , although I do remember the AA website trying to do the same once. Fortunately I checked first. You may have been quicker continuing via Frejus tunnel,into Italy, then over the Col du Montgenevre and onto La Grave through Serre Che, rather than going right back to Grenoble.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
PhillipStanton, Laughing

That would be the Galibier, often the highest point in the Tour de France, it's about 2600m I think !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhillipStanton, ...... just for a laugh ......if you are in the Edelweiss ......

....do complain about the music ......

.....Robin will appreciate the humour..... hopefully ..... Toofy Grin

Perhaps for reasons stated, don't use SatNav on the slopes ....... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

enjoy, .... but be careful .... La Grave is a dangerous place .....

....... AVOID Robin if he produces a bottle of Calvados and TAKE IMMEDIATE COVER if the L'eau de Vie is produced ....

.....ACHTUNG! .... YOU HAF BEEN WARNED ....
Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've stayed in the Edelweiss and remember none of that at all. Maybe I ended up in a coma.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton, Which brand of Satnav, I'm considering getting one.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC,

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing .......

and if you really want fireworks, tell him the band is awful...bloody awful, thats fighting talk
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, Snowskisnow had a similar experience getting here - from La Plagne to LDA via the Frejus tunnel Satnav tried to send him over closed cols too, but probably not Ga;libier. In summer we had so many tourists trying to get up the old road because of it that they've now put at sign at the bottom saying LDA straight on, or words to that effect. found a guy turning round in the singles track road yesterday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you'd have thought including seasonally open roads wasn't beyond the wit of man - and gps does include a time signal
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hoppo, you would have thought so wouldn't you, and I may be wrong, but I thought that the michelin site did this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is Sat Nav skiing available yet?

It could be interesting to turn oneself effectively into a satellite-controlled skier - effectively a skiing robot - with pre-set times and locations for restaurant stops, not to mention 'collision avoidance circuitry'.
snow report
 brian
brian
Helen Beaumont, it used to a few years ago but I think they've sorted it out*. It would be nice if they had an obvious option to select so you could plan a summer or winter route.

* just checked, it did send me via Frejus and Montgenevre from Valloire to La Grave.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
micky wrote:
Which brand of Satnav, I'm considering getting one.

My Garmin 2610, which is quite old now, lets you enter Avoidance Roads. This prevents them from being used in route calculations. You'd have to remember to turn them off when the cols open of course. They work very well, I had one in place for ages when they were widening the M25 near the Heathrow T5 exit. Smile

David Goldsmith wrote:
Is Sat Nav skiing available yet?

Well almost. I've carried a gps while skiing for years, and used it to map out a few French resorts - lifts, runs, restaurants etc. I won't be enhancing it to give routes and directions, although in theory it shouldn't be too hard.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So long as it doesn't send you down dead-end pistes, or the wrong way down motorway runs, it must be fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy