Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel recommendation about 2 hours fromo Calais?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a hotel about two hours drive from Calais, preferably on or near the A26. Just a basic bed and breakfast, so Formule 1 or similar low-budget hotel would be OK.
Thanks

Rob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Reims, it's an easy run from Calais plus there are several low budget hotels just off the motorway including a formule1
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, try the Hotel Bagatelle (via www.logis-de-france.fr )
small family run, in a strange location at the back of an industrial estate, but with a nice and fairly cheap restaurant, just south of Reims, in a village called Dizy, just North of Epernay. Rooms a bit dated, but clean and comfortable. We staye in July and it was less than 100 euros for a double with dinner and breakfast and drinks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless you're planning to arrive very late, or want to make a really quick getaway in the morning, I'd recommend finding somewhere in a town centre. The ambience is so much more pleasant, and you'll have lots of choice for a leisurely meal and drink. Riems is nice (not actually stayed the night there) but from memory is closer to 3 hours than 2 from Calais (depending on how you drive of course!).

I've stayed in Arras (less than two hours from Calais) and Chaumont (further than Riems) on my way to the Alps before now. Both are quite pleasant in the centre. Unfortunately, I can't remember the hotel names.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will be a late arrival and a quick getaway the following morning, so facilities and ambience are less important than convenient location to the autoroute. A comfortable bed, quick breakfast and reasonable price is what I'm after.

Thanks for the Bagatelle recommendation Helen, I'll check that out. Any other recommendations from other people?

Regards

Rob
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Campanile at St Quentin.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Somehow I managed to delete my own post last night... but I had the Formule 1 booklet to hand, and there is an F1 near exit 22 on the A4 (near where it crosses the A26 in Reims). 22 is the Reims Tinqueux exit, but from Calais on the A26 you'd take the Reims Centre exit then follow signs to the A4 - the F1 is behind the Novotel, Auturoute A 4, 16 rue d'AFN, 51430 Tinqueux .... Tel. : (+33)891705362, Fax : (+33)326847335 - (27 euros per night).

Another quite cheap one is the Etap'Hotel, 39 euros a night - Parc Millésime
RN 31, 51370 Thillois. Also right next to exit 22 in the parc Millésime - see map (+ phone, address) here....

Reims is just about bang on 2 hours from Calais.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another good value (from 37 euros) chain with a hotel in Reims is the Balladins... about a mile from exit 25 on the A4.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've stayed in the F1 at Reims and it's a typically basic F1 accomodation, but it was all clean and tidy, at the same location from memory there were a further 2 or possibly 3 chain hotels of varying quality (all higher than the F1 though) and just across the main road was a McDonalds, unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the other hotel I stayed at there (it may have been an ibis) or I'd suggest that, it was only slightly more than the F1 but the accomodation was much nicer including on suite bathrooms, and the breakfast was a lot better
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try www.accorhotels.com - lets you search for Formule1, Ibis, Novotel, etc. by location

We stayed in an Ibis at Laon last New Year - c.90 minutes south of Calais, just North of Reims. Perfectly adequate. Easy to find on the ring road, less than 10 minutes from autoroute.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try www.envergure.fr (Campanile, Premier class, Kyrad, Climat etc....) Prices start at €30 ish per night. Breakfast at the Premier Class chain is crap and best avoided.

Reims or Troyes will be ideal for a stop over en route to the mountains.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kyriad, Campanile etc are not nearly so cheap though...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the advice, I've just booked a room in the Balladins hotel in Reims for both outward and return journeys. For those booking Eurotunnel crossings this coming season, they have a much reduced price if you travel out after 5pm and back before 11am (£96 rather than £263 if you travel at peak times). I normally do the trip out in just one day, but even with the additional cost of an overnight stay the off-peak Eurotunnel ticket works out cheaper (with the added bonus of a less tiring drive).

Regards

Rob
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arras is a lovely town for a stopover. There are a few quite large Hotels near the railway station which are clean,comfortable and pretty cheap.
We have also stayed at the Holiday Inn at Reims which can be seen from the A26.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Travel Inn, Harlow
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy