Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

st.anton oppinions please

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of st.anton for next year. In our group there are a couple of party animals and the rest just sensible, having never been there before I am unsure if it would be ridiculously expensive. Your oppinions will be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tecnica10 wrote:
I am thinking of st.anton for next year. In our group there are a couple of party animals and the rest just sensible, having never been there before I am unsure if it would be ridiculously expensive. Your oppinions will be appreciated.

Went for the first time. I didn't find it ridiculously expensive. Having skied mainly in France found beer reasonable £2.80 for large beer. Lunch on mountainside cafes was good value compared to France (far better food is At A generally) Suspect dearer than elsewhere in austria but compared to the French resorts is good value. Excellent skiing. Not a place for beginners. On piste skiing in ST isn't vast if people in your party don't venue off pisteand we spent 2 days over in Lech/Zurs which is easy to get to by bus. I gather St Anton isn't the prettiest Austrian ski resort. When compared to the French resorts its a very attractive town. Would go back again happily
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tecnica10, I dont want to hijack your thread,but I am too trusted with organising a weekend trip to st anton next feb,so the thread be able to help us both?Does anyone have any pointers/advice on weekend acommadation in st anton.Is it just me or is the st anton website POO Puzzled Any info greatly appreciated.

hedley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tecnica10, St. Anton is good for partying, good for 'advanced' skiers, bad for beginners. Like dan100 says, the on piste isn't vast ( compared to some of the French resorts ) but it's big enough to keep an intermediate happy for a week, plus you have Lech and Zuers to explore as well. For a good skier who likes to frigten himself from time to time St.A has it all Toofy Grin
If you have beginners in your party then I would consider Ischgl as an alternative.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm the party animals may love it but I thought it was one of the wort skiing holidays I have had (2006).

Firstly it is ridiculously over priced for Austria, and I object to paying 8 Euros for a 30cl Weissbier. Secondly, thought the pistes were poorly groomed and maintained, and the altitude makes spring skiing there akin to water skiing at the best of times. Thirdly for beginners it's rubbish! I fought like a trooper to get two third week skiiers down to the Moosewirt through a mountain of moguls. Fourthly it's full of either Hooray Henrys or kids wanting to get plastered........

I love skiing in Austria, but St Anton is on my list to not visit ever ever ever ever again.

I know I'm turning into my Dad.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatirishman wrote:
Hmmm the party animals may love it but I thought it was one of the wort skiing holidays I have had (2006).

Firstly it is ridiculously over priced for Austria, and I object to paying 8 Euros for a 30cl Weissbier. Secondly, thought the pistes were poorly groomed and maintained, and the altitude makes spring skiing there akin to water skiing at the best of times. Thirdly for beginners it's rubbish! I fought like a trooper to get two third week skiiers down to the Moosewirt through a mountain of moguls. Fourthly it's full of either Hooray Henrys or kids wanting to get plastered........

I love skiing in Austria, but St Anton is on my list to not visit ever ever ever ever again.

Obviously avoided the places where Fatirishman bought his beers. Altitude is respectable for Austria. The pistes did get heavy due to high temperatures. I've had similar though in Alpe D'huez. I think it is more down to South Facing than altitude. Rendl wasn't a particular problem given the high temperatures.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100 wrote:

Obviously avoided the places where Fatirishman bought his beers. Altitude is respectable for Austria. The pistes did get heavy due to high temperatures. I've had similar though in Alpe D'huez. I think it is more down to South Facing than altitude. Rendl wasn't a particular problem given the high temperatures.

Lech.... it was in Lech I know as I've still got the glass. I paid for it according to my logic. Hotel bottom of the piste, lovely but they can actually remove the shirt off your back as you sit down. Unlike the Murphys I am bitter.

Then there is of course Moosewirt itself in St Anton (Schweineteuer aber Saustark - translates roughly as Really pricey but excellent). Now you could get really poor in there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatirishman, for drinking in Lech you might as well have drank in Courchevel 1850. One of the most exclusive resorts in the alps, so now surprise it was that price.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatirishman wrote:

Yep you are.

I'm 36 and not turning into my dad - I had probably my cheapest ever skiing holiday in St. Anton just after new year. £80 flights to fried chicken, £40 return transfer. £150 for aparment rental, say £170 for the lift pass. Then beer 'n' food money which I never add up as I am on holiday, but seemed more or less on a par as other places and overall cost noticeably less than a weeks drunken windsurfing last summer in vassiliki.

We took 2 complete beginners and they had a good time, one event texted me yesterday to say she was having a beer outside the moosenwirt. We did go upto lech for a couple of days which added to the sense of adventure and was definately easier for mid week 1s, plus always good to see the fur coats and the maybachs. Surely the fact that most people in the bar at the bottom of the hill were wearing prada would have been a giveaway to fatirishman that it might be a touch expensive there...

In terms of going out then there's a good vibe in lots of the bars - as people seem to be up for having a good time and are not scattered round the moutain like you get in france. It is possible to end up in a bar feeling like you're in kindergarden but then you just move on..

Make sure you try the frozen margheritas in the funky chicken - absolutely to die for.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks a lot, it would seem that we are all different, the group i shall be taking are all competant skiers and as i said a couple of drinkers will have to chose thier watering holes by the designer labels, once again thanks for input.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett wrote:
Surely the fact that most people in the bar at the bottom of the hill were wearing prada would have been a giveaway to fatirishman that it might be a touch expensive there...

Ah there's where I went wrong.... must buy a copy of GQ! I wouldn't recognise a Prada coat or an Armani suit if it had the label still on. Obviously none of the people I skiied with would either.... There's East Germans for you.

I'm just such a big fan of Austria, and Obergurgl, Obertauern, Monatafon, Zillertal, and Kuehtai have provided me with some of the best skiing holidays ever, St Anton did not ring my bell at all and I felt I could be in a soulless French resort. There was no heart to the place, it was grab my money and that was it. I was really excited before I went having heard from Brits it was the place to ski in Austria and maybe the expectation I had led to the level of dissapointment I experienced.

Horses for courses.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatirishman, easy to recognise the Prada coats etc, just buy a beer in lech and if it costs 8 Euro then the person next to you is likley to be wearing one Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatirishman, as you say its horses for course, have skied all over Europe in Alps, Pyrennes and Bulgaria. I was in St Anton for the first time at New Year and would rate it at the very top as a resort for skiing, extent and atmosphere. The only gripe I had was it is a little expensive for ski hire and eating out/drinking compared to other Austrian resorts but accommodation and lift pass prices are similar to other Austrian resorts. tecnica10, I'd definitely recommend a trip as it's on of the top resorts in the world and we met people from all over the world there. I'll be back again on Thursday, can't wait!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am there on Thursday too and have not come across any bad reviews except for Grumpy Old Man fatirishman, wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St Anton Rocks!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 4-04-07 9:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Peter Ross and rayscoops,

Enjoy the skiing guys......

rayscoops wrote:
Easy to recognise the Prada coats etc, just buy a beer in lech and if it costs 8 Euro then the person next to you is likley to be wearing one Very Happy

I never gave the missus that much money! TK Maxx that's the place to shop...... Puzzled The sooner they learn the better. Sports gear is the thing to invest in, not Prada......

38 going on 65. Exclamation
ski holidays
fatirishman wrote:
I'm just such a big fan of Austria, and Obergurgl, Obertauern, Monatafon, Zillertal, and Kuehtai have provided me with some of the best skiing holidays ever, St Anton did not ring my bell at all and I felt I could be in a soulless French resort. There was no heart to the place, it was grab my money and that was it. I was really excited before I went having heard from Brits it was the place to ski in Austria and maybe the expectation I had led to the level of dissapointment I experienced.

Horses for courses.

Agree that other Austrian resorts have much more charm than the St Anton village of sports shops, but for the quantity and quality of expert ski terrain (esp. offpiste) nowhere else in Austria comes close.
snow conditions
It's true. The surprising thing is that all this excitement is achieved on a gross vertical of 1500m. There are just so many neat descents. I can't think of another place where the ski terrain itself gives you so much bang for your bucks.
latest report
DB, would you recommend guided off piste then in St Anton? i have never done proper off piste (except in between piste and the 'bowls' in Whistler) and really fancy it. I am boarding and will be with a skier so not too sure whether to get a boarder guide or a skier guide.
snow conditions
rayscoops, if you're up to the standard and pace of the upper ski school classes in St Anton they ski you all day off piste, at ski school prices. Recommended.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, what is upper ski school standard? i have never been to ski school before
ski holidays
rayscoops, best to enquire directly with the ski school. From memory about 3 classes do this every day, but I'm not sure if it's just the top tier (class 1?) or the top two tiers. The top class in St Anton is instructor-level skiing, technique-wise.
latest report
Sorry to highjack the thread but how does the piste skiing in St Anton compare to Ischgl and Saalbach (and I mean just on-piste skiing)?
snow conditions
Hayls wrote:
Sorry to highjack the thread but how does the piste skiing in St Anton compare to Ischgl and Saalbach (and I mean just on-piste skiing)?

The on piste skiing isn't vast especially when the resort runs are artificial snow and not really runs you'd ski for pleasure in this year's conditions.. Personally, I don't think the on piste skiing is particuarly challenging save that the piste do tend to become mogulled by the afternoon. It is perfectly possible for good intermediate skiers to ski out the St Anton pistes in 2 days. There are enjoyable runs. IMHO Reasonable intermediate skiiers should have no problem with the steepness of any of the marked piste runs. I am sure some St Antonites are going to take issue

We had a fair amount of fun on the marked, patrolled and supposedly free from avalanche risk iteniary runs. Not true off piste There were very few black pistes and it seemed to me that these runs had taken the place of black runs perhaps with a view to deterring less able skiers from enjoying them (it didn't work in our case). Some of these runs were even bashed/pisted and probably no harder than an easy French red. Some weren't and were bloody long steep mogul fields.

there was enjoyable piste skiing in Zurs that's about 15/20 mins away on the bus. The piste skiing in Lech was far too heavy to be enjoyable. We had a great trip. Howver if you were choosing a resort to ski on piste I personally wouldn't choose St Anton. If you want to challenge yourself off with some of the runs referred to above its a great resort I think there are other resorts with more challenging/ varied on piste skiing and better suited for mixed groups. I can't compare to Ischgl and Saalbach as I've never been although I would like to visit Ischgl.
snow report
Hayls, I haven't been to Saalbach but have been to both St A and Ischgl.

I think if looking at piste skiing in St A most people would include the ski routes which are basically fairly standard though unpisted black runs, if you dont like skiing these I think a lot of the point of St A is lost. The area is probably not dissimilair in size to Ischgl's but it is more spread out with no skiable connection to the Rendl and awkward connections to Stuben.
The bus to Lech/Zurs adds another large area and put together there is more than in Ischgl/Samnaun. The lift system is nothing like as modern with quite a few queues developing at pinch points. Not horrendous on my visits but definately worse than Ischgls. I would say there were fewer gentle runs than in Ischgl but a bit more of the steeper stuff on the ski routes which can get pretty bumpy.
Personally if I was going for the piste skiing I would base myself at Lech which has quieter pistes and usually better snow and it is a lot easier to get into St A's skiing from lech than visa versa.

David Goldsmith, I suspect the top classes at St A the standard varies according to who turns up that week but certainly lower classes are taken off piste and a few seem to be by invitation.
latest report
Thanks for the info. T Bar and dan100.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
DB, would you recommend guided off piste then in St Anton? i have never done proper off piste (except in between piste and the 'bowls' in Whistler) and really fancy it. I am boarding and will be with a skier so not too sure whether to get a boarder guide or a skier guide.

When doing 'proper' offpiste in St Anton I would only recommend it with someone who knows the terrain and risks, preferably someone qualified to assess these risks. There are hundreds of ski instructors in St Anton but I prefer to use the same qualified person I can trust and so ski with Graham Austick from Piste to Powder. http://www.pistetopowder.com/ Graham has different levels and makes a lot of effort to put people in the same level groups.

Graham is also building a ski lodge in Norway at the moment and so from next year he will be able to offer clients powder skiing for another ca 3 months of the year.

PS If they haven't one of their own, Graham always supplies his clients with a Transceiver when going off piste. People will also have shovels and probes. The operation of everybody's transceiver is checked before venturing out. Who-ever you decide to ski offpiste with should do the same (that includes ski instructors).
latest report
There was a previous thread about ski routes and being controlled, according to the St Anton piste map they are avalanche protected but not patrolled, so don't ski them on your own if the run is quiet.

I was in the top group in ski school in St Anton for a few days lessons over New Year. It agree it really depends on the ability of the class but we covered all the terrain available on the mountain, although no deep powder available on the days I took lessons.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 4-04-07 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, thanks for that I may well give it a go
ski holidays
Peter Ross wrote:
There was a previous thread about ski routes and being controlled, according to the St Anton piste map they are avalanche protected but not controlled, so don't ski them on your own if the run is quiet.

I was in the top group in ski school in St Anton for a few days lessons over New Year. It agree it really depends on the ability of the class but we covered all the terrain available on the mountain, although no deep powder available on the days I took lessons.

It does say patrolled on the piste map. I wasn't convinced. but I don't think most pisted runs see a 'patroller' either. I agree these routes should not be skied alone if quiet.
latest report
somehow I do not think I will be alone over the easter hols on any route Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
dan100 wrote:
It does say patrolled on the piste map. I wasn't convinced. but I don't think most pisted runs see a 'patroller' either.

If it says patrolled, then they should at least do a sweep at the end of the day.
latest report
dan100 wrote:

It does say patrolled on the piste map. I wasn't convinced. but I don't think most pisted runs see a 'patroller' either. I agree these routes should not be skied alone if quiet.

It's not the first time I have been wrong about something! snowHead
ski holidays
On way home from St Anton and bored in the airport. Did anyone hear about the lad a week or two ago who was run over and killed by a now plough or basher. It was whispered to me in a bar and was generallz being kept quiet although was on the German news Sad
ski holidays
30.03.07, 10:50 | St. Anton am Arlberg
Pistenraupe überrollt Skifahrer
Ein 38 Jahre alter Skifahrer aus dem Großraum Stuttgart ist am Donnerstagabend bei St. Anton in Tirol von einer Pistenraupe getötet worden.
Nach Angaben eines Polizeisprechers vom Freitag in Innsbruck war der Mann in Begleitung von zwei Bekannten lange nach Betriebsschluss noch auf Skiern unterwegs. Gegen 19.45 Uhr stürzte er bei der Lifttrasse der Gampenbahn unmittelbar hinter einer Pistenraupe. Der Fahrer, der dort mit Präparierungsarbeiten beschäftigt war, übersah den Wintersportler beim Rückwärtsfahren und überrollte ihn.

Dabei erlitt der 38-Jährige tödliche Verletzungen. Wiederbelebungsversuche durch den Notarzt blieben erfolglos, er starb noch an der Unfallstelle. Die genauen Umstände für den Unfall sind noch nicht klar. Die Polizei hat die Ermittlungen aufgenommen

A 38 year old skiier from the Stuttgart area was killed on Thursday night by a piste basher in St Anton in Tirol. According to a police spokesman from Innsbruck the man was still skiing with two friends long after the pistes had closed. At about 19:45 he crashed into a Gampenbahn lift pillar right behind a piste basher. The driver who was busy working preparing the pistes didn't see the skiier whilst reversing and ran over him.
Consequently the 38 year old sustained mortal injuries, and attempts to save him were hopeless. He died at the accident scene. The exact circumstances of the accident are still is not clear, and the police are investigating.

19:45 = Dark?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 11-04-07 13:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
fatirishman, skiing down from one of the pubs on the piste?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy