Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thought I'd start looking at Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Scorchio Shocked

Hey, ho. Suppose we are in for a bit of this. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's looking a bit warm isn't it. FI GFS shows up to 10º warmer than seasonal average, and no significant snowfall. Best buy some warm wax...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, we'll be fine. Missions are great in slush. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, yup. We'll have the best water skis around the slopes. Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
achilles, we'll be fine. Missions are great in slush. wink

But you might need a canoe...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got back on Sunday from Reberty (between VT and Les Menuires). Had a fantastic week, mainly sunny and cold with a few half days of cloud. Temps varied between -9 at altitude up to +8'ish in low resorts where the snow was slushy. It snowed Friday night (about 8-10") and the next day was cold and sunny. On and off pistes it was fantastic, had a great week. Hope its good for all you EPSB people.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin Vince wrote:
. It snowed Friday night (about 8-10") .

do you mean centimetres? I would be very excited if it was inches Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_645_ens.png looks ok to me, warm but it should stay at freezing or below at altitude where the precipitation spike looks good for snow in a couple of days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Holidayloverxx, no it was inches (") not centimeters.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin Vince, fantastic - I asked cos on the VT site it quoted 5cm having fallen on Friday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
19°C forecast for Thursday 12 April Shocked. May not need my thermals, if this keeps up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, where do you get your forecast? this is from J2Ski?

sat sun mon tue wed thur fri sat
Max Temp 9°C 8°C 7°C 7°C 8°C 11°C 12°C 8°C
Min Temp 5°C 5°C 4°C 3°C 3°C 6°C 7°C 7°C
Max Freezing Level (m) 2710 2610 2460 2410 2840 3110 3130 3070
Min Freezing Level (m) 2590 2460 2290 2180 2270 2840 2940 2950
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going out to check the conditions in VT for all of next week. At the moment it's looking like the best conditions we've had at Easter (although it is relatively early for Easter this year).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't forget the strong sunblock, remember all the pink noses last year, followed by very attractive peeling a few days later! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, I like your site better Madeye-Smiley

I was looking at metcheck.
ski holidays
Hoppo, I'm the worst at taking piccies when skiing - but if you can find a way of posting the odd pic I am sure we will all be interested.
latest report
Take a look at the top feed. Looks pretty perfect.
http://www.valthorens.com/winter/ski-resort/goodies/webcams-133-2.html
latest report
achilles, The highest member of the GFS ensemble peaks at around 14°C on the 14th (so not entirely in the accurate part of the forecast yet), however, it's worth noting that this is the forecast for approximately 1500m asl where VT is at 2200m asl so shouid be about 5 degrees colder. I'm not worried about the weather, after all it is the end of April!
latest report
Swirly, you're saying the right words, in the right order Very Happy
snow report
jimmjimm, Having just looked at it the crowds are amazing! However, on Easter Sunday I suppoose that's to be expected and in two weeks it will be empty bar 70-80 snowHead snowHead

Very Happy
ski holidays
Skied VT yesterday. It was empty but pretty busy other days. A bit slushy in the afternoon, but at 2pm both the Combe du Caron black and the Col de L'audzin red of the top of the Cime du Caron were magnificent. Absolutely boiling last week but at 4pm yesterday it was fully open, a bit slushy in places, but some magnificent skiing to be had. The off piste is all skied out but still very tasty once the sun has softened it up.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 8-04-07 20:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
>> The off piste is all skied out but still very tasty once the sun has softened it up

I beg to differ Frosty, still laying down tracks yesterday in spring snow, not so far from the pistes, and I'd also bet the places the guide took us earlier in the week will still be far from skied out, but involve some walking!

Cheers,

greg
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, kitenski, sounds great cheers for the report.
snow report
achilles wrote:
Swirly, you're saying the right words, in the right order Very Happy

Even better it looks like a couple of cm tonight, not much but anything's good.
snow conditions
The title to this thread made me think that the first thing to do is NOT look at Val Thorens, because it's so hideous! On the other hand, I reckon that the Cime du Caron views are amongst the best in the Alps.
ski holidays
Just back from a week in VT, snow conditions about the same as usual for the time of year (i.e. all pistes open and in fair condition - raising to good in the morning and slushy lower down in the afternoon) - maybe a little bit more snow up top than previous years. On piste conditions very good, particularly above the mid-station level, we skied into Les Menuires - La Masse was fantastic at the top and I was surprised how good conditions were at the top of Les Menuires village. Thawing was going on vigorously in VT resort... par for the time of year. There was a dusting of new snow at the beginning of the week which improved conditions temporarily, lifts closed on Friday due to high winds.

Pictures to follow...
ski holidays
Sounds very good... just got to hope they don't have a sudden unseasonal heatwave like us... rolling eyes
latest report
Hoppo, good news for us bashers then, fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hoppo, I've been in VT and Courchevel quite a few times, but never skiied La Masse. Is it easy to get to from VT, and worth it?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman reckons it's well worth searching out as well RachelQ.
ski holidays
pompeymanc, FenlandSkier - should be about the same as previous years, it was feeling a little warm towards the end of the week, but you might get lucky with some more snow... and there's plenty of skiing above VT.

RachelQ, pretty straightforward to get to - we went down Bd cumin - which is the red run running along the valley floor from VT - takes you direct to La Masse I gondola, then a short ski to La Masse II gondola. Views from the top are fantastic and the conditions at the top were good too - quite busy when we were there - I suspect because it is the best skiing close to Les Menuires at this time of year. I'd definitely go again. You could also take the Bouquetin lift up to the ridge between Les Menuires and Mottaret and drop down Mont de la Chambre into Les Menuires and so to La Masse.

We returned to VT via the Doron chairlift and the Bruyeres gondola.
snow report
RachelQ, Hoppo, We went out of the door, turned right, a 3 min warm up ski down and over the ski bridge to the 1st Masse gondola. Spent a half day just on the top section alone one day with poor viz throughout the 3v but the odd clear spot sweeping over the masse area.It was great fun picking our way down and then suddenly a 400m clear section would appear and we would tear off down the hil. Load of great off piste for those that want it and generally a very quiet area with a couple of great reds and blacks. La Masse is a gem.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, excellent Very Happy You can be the leader snowHead
snow conditions
RachelQ, Can I lead from the rear Very Happy
ski holidays
There is some excellent off piste from Masse II as well Very Happy We went over there from La Tania with our guide, also quick access to the 4th valley as well I'd imagine.

Only downside appeared to be a long path, to connect up to Les Menuires at the end of the runs.

cheers,

Greg
snow report
RachelQ, I would be careful about following Hoppo's suggested route for getting to La Masse.
We went down there a couple of time last EOSB, and the problem is the Boulevard Cumin. This is essentially a road.
As Hoppo says, it runs along the valley floor and looses its snow very quickly. We did manage to ski all the way down early on in the week (Sunday?), but within a few days we were hopping from show patch to snow patch. You might be better going up to Col de La Chambre and skiing down from there. The blue Mont de la Chambre is a lovely long Bombing Blue.
Definitely worth going. Midweek there can't have been more than 20 people there, and most of those were drinking champagne in the restaurant. They were only running the Masse2 gondola (Masse drag and Lac Noir chair closed) but there was still lots of wonderful skiing.
The run back down to Les Menuires was "interesting" - if you don't like slush you might want to take the gondola down.
snow report
RachelQ, Jonpim is right - if you're going next week Boulevard Cumin will be a bit marginal (or very marginal)..

Frosty the Snowman, didn't realise you were around in Les Menuires last week!
snow conditions
Hoppo, As each day moves on it no longer becomes "last week" Crying or Very sad we got back on the 8th.
kitenski, The path only come into pay if you take the last small black run of if you want to take the chair "other" than the Doron. I think the path is closed now.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, oh - I see - we got back yesterday!

Had a nightmare journey out (Manchester airport virtually shutdown by fog, minutes before we were due to fly to Gatwick for onward transfer to Geneva), but BA re-routed us via Heathrow and we arrived in Geneva about 7 hours late - 3 vallee transfers hung around for us and we arrived in VT at 11:30pm. Other than that a fantastic week though, did our first skiing in Les Menuires and I have to say the upper part of the resort is as attractive as VT now and I was surprised how good the pisting was down to the top part.
snow report
Yes Hoppo, they are really working quite hard to improve the looks of Les Menuires.
Of course many would argue with the term "attractive" in relation to Val Thorens, but I don't care what a place looks like, so much as the atmosphere and what a place feels like. I like the feel of Val Thorens.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy