Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yllas, Finland

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

Has anyone been skiing in Yllas, Finland. Am thinking of booking a week there next January. I appreciate that the skiing may be fairly limited but would love to hear your opinions, good or bad. Many thanks.

Ruth
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ruthee, I haven't been there, but I always fancied finland. The main thing that's put me off going early in the season until now is the lack of daylight issue. Yllas is above the arctic circle so I think in January it will be pretty dark for a lot of the time. I guess they have floodlighting but that personally would put me off...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't been to Yllas but I have been to Levi, which is not far away. Regarding the daylight issue, by late Feb there it is getting close to the UK. All the pistes we used had floodlights - I would think Yllas would be the same. We enjoyed it but then we went there for a general winter holiday as much as skiing. IIRC both Yllas and Levi are making new runs and lifts soon. Even so, I guess that if you are a good skier, used to the Alps, then I think you will find the skiing somewhat limited there. If you're just starting out with skiing and want looks of activities to keep young (even if only young at heart) people busy you should find plenty to do. Of course some/many things are not as cheap as the Alps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks very much for your replies. The light problem was my biggest worry as we would be going in late Jan. The limited area is not such a problem as our priority is getting the children going. I have a feeling that we will be heading back to the Alps as I need the sun on the snow for the added 'feel good factor' even if it is through a whiteout. Cheers Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jon is there right now. (Levi) with his g/f and family. Today he has skied a bit ("icy but OK") and been husky sledding. About to go skiing again as the lifts are open till 7.30!

His G/f wanted to go skiing, but her family wanted a more all-round holiday.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ruthee, i went in jan 05 (end of) brill time, snow was great no queues. new lifts this year gondola.. go go go go go
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ruthee, I've been to Rukka in Feb. It does get dark early and can be very, very cold but it is a beautiful country and there is so much more to do apart from skiing. Here's a picture:

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Finns are the nicest people in Western Europe. It is a beautiful land.

Go in Mar, when it warms up and there is more daylight.

All resorts are tiny, but that is a side issue.

Do it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ruthee, I would echo the above, go in March as there is bags more light.
i personally would pick Levi, and if the kids get sick of skiing there's always Husky sledding, reindeer safaris, seeing father christmas, going to dinner at the elves cottage, tobogganing.

Although skiing is pretty limited for the more experienced, apres with pear cider more than makes up for it !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello Everyone

I know it is a year since I first posted but I wanted to thank you all for your replies. We are going out on Sunday to Yllas. Can't wait.
Thanks again.

Ruth
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ruth have a great time...... mine's another vote for Levi, but that's only because I have such incredible memories of the place..... the skiing was good and the alternatives were fantastic... horse drawn carriages, dog sledging, husky safari, ice fishing.... northern lights if the atmospherics are happy.....

we had a fantastic time and although we are also off skiing on Saturday, I am actually very envious of you!!!!!!!!!!!

Will look forward to your report on return....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi

Hope you enjoy yourself in Yllas. We went about 6 years ago at this time of year. We had a great time. Skiing was a bit limited but the scenery was stunning - so different to the alps.
It was extremely cold (-30 by day) but as long as you're wrapped up thats not a problem. No slush problems - the snow was fantastic.

Do try the dog sledding, the skidoo safari, visit Santa, drink pear cider etc etc. We got to see the Northern lights too! It really is so much more than a ski holiday.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a nice holiday in Yllas. It is a great place for relaxing winter holiday. I've been there 6 times and going again week after you. Weather forecast is good for next week so you can expect a perfect winter weather.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a great time in Yllas we have been for the last few years but not been able to this beacuse of a new arrival Smile Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
there's a great trip report of yllas at http://tripreports.co.uk/2009/12/yllas-finland/ in case anyone is still interested.
ski holidays
We went to Ruka last January and will be again next January. The light worried me a bit, but its not pitch dark and with the amount of floodlights and snow its not a problem. You will love it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy