Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aged skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
My two sons and their partners have been skiing for a while and are reasonable skiers. I have retired this year and they have persuaded my wife and I to take up skiing. We are taking lessons and surviving, but what I want to know is there anyone out there who has learnt to ski with confidence at the grand old age of sixty.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tone1,

Welcome to snowHead

I think there certainly are some snowHead 's who have done just that - they'll probably be along soon. My motto - never too late, never too old (but get good insurance!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
Tone1,

Welcome to snowHead

I think there certainly are some snowHead 's who have done just that - they'll probably be along soon. My motto - never too late, never too old (but get good insurance!)
Thanks for that-yes we are well insured!! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tone1, I have taught beginners up to the age of 82. Several of my past students have been 60+ when taking up skiing - there is absolutely no problem at all. However you sound like prime candidates for the "mature skiers week" next year. Can you get to Norwich dry slope? Is that where you go? there are several snowheads active there. Oh - and welcome and good on yer! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tone1, Welcome to sHs and good on you both - do keep us up-to-date on your progress - and wait 'til you get to the real snow and mountains, you are just going to love it ! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tone1, Note from Mrs Chris. There is no reason why you should not become able skiers at your age. I assume you already have a good level of fitness and of cos, skiing will help you to maintain that. I found it took me longer to learn skiing at an older age than a younger person would but I think that is the case for learning most things at an older age. Young people are more daring and will progress quicker because of that. I am 55 and this year have taken up off piste skiing, something I thought I would never be able to do. I am still not that good but can get down most places and enjoy the technical side of it. It is much harder work than piste skiing and takes quite a lot of energy. Word of warning tho', skiing is incredibly addictive and before you know it, you could be checking out properties in the Alpes! Good luck and happy skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My father took up skiing at 62. He ended upcompletely hooked and went 3 times a year.He even named his house after his favourite ski resort. You have a good chance of getting the bug!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mouth wrote:
My father took up skiing at 62. He ended upcompletely hooked and went 3 times a year.He even named his house after his favourite ski resort. You have a good chance of getting the bug!
Thanks for the comments-when you are always in lessons with people 40 years younger than yourself it makes you question what you are doing!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When you get to 70-ish, lots of resorts give you a free lift pass.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife was in a group of eight last week, the other seven were 20 year old geordie lads-she came off the slope with a big smile on her face!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tone1 wrote:
Mouth wrote:
Thanks for the comments-when you are always in lessons with people 40 years younger than yourself it makes you question what you are doing!

I am not a beginner, but I still have lessons from time time, and almost always other members of the group are younger than me. Not a problem, I always have fun.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tone1, Welcome to Snowheads - this thread may be of interest:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25648
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tone1, There's a chap from Caistor, now 80-something and still skiing regualrly, having started at 60+ Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Dad Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

what I want to know is there anyone out there who has learnt to ski with confidence at the grand old age of sixty. Sat Mar 31, 07 17:09

I learnt to ski some years ago but am learning to snowboard at 60.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

what I want to know is there anyone out there who has learnt to ski with confidence at the grand old age of sixty. Sat Mar 31, 07 17:09

I learnt to ski some years ago but am learning to snowboard at 60.
Best of luck!
ski holidays
The 80-something guy I know from Caistor certainly talks as if he is confident - he is a bachelor, and has actually just returned from this year's holiday.
snow conditions
Thanks to everyone for their commments. It is obvious from the replies so far that we are certainly not on our own and will continue having fun on the slope and look forward to a visit to the mountains
snow conditions
Tone1, easiski, does an over-50's week which would be perfect for you (& really fun!) - I have been skiing for some time but always have lessons whenever possible. Good luck!
snow report
Tone1, do you go to the indoor snow slopes either at Tamworth, Milton Keynes or Castleford? All of them do 'more mature' sessions, though differently and the slope is open for general use at the same time of course. Castleford don't do anything special, just a very small discount for over 50s, 10-12am every weekday in termtime at £20 including a coffee that you go and get from the bar.. There doesn't seem to be any kind of social element - I have been with a friend (ok I lied, as I am a few weeks under 50 still!) and we did not feel as if we were in any way part of a group. I understand that Tamworth's is alternate Thursdays and has instructors available for coaching and I think MK do their 40+ one on Tuesdays, but I don't know if there's coaching.
ski holidays
Tone1, Started at 50; this is my 3rd year having lost nearly all of last year to a non-ski injury. Progress isn't as fast as I would like and I envy youngsters sometimes - but I love it. I have since some of my elders on here ski -- inspirational, I would love to get 1/2 as competent as some of them (in my dreams !)

Welcome to snowHead , but beware this site can be as addictive as skiing.
snow report
We are going to Castleford and lessons are great in the morning as you are generally at 2 or 3 in them. The main slope is quiet and as we have not reached recreational standard yet, the social side has not come into it
ski holidays
Let me know when you are going and I will see if I can come at the same time and we could have a coffee - I have just about got to rec std and am not finding it very easy!! I live in Barnetby, between Scunthorpe & Grimsby so it is under an hour for me!
ski holidays
NewSkier wrote:
Let me know when you are going and I will see if I can come at the same time and we could have a coffee - I have just about got to rec std and am not finding it very easy!! I live in Barnetby, between Scunthorpe & Grimsby so it is under an hour for me!
Will do!
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
Progress isn't as fast as I would like and I envy youngsters sometimes - but I love it.

Every time I wish I had learned to ski as a kid, before I had any concept of mortality and when I was still more likely to bounce than break, I remind myself that I really appreciate skiing having learned as an adult and don't take it for granted as I can with activities I've done as long as I can remember. Who appreciates the ability to walk until it is removed?
snow report
Take a look at the email I just got from Castleford........

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25648&start=120
snow conditions
Quote:

Hmm. I have a feeling that as soon as I get anywhere near 70 they'll raise the age. There are too many 60 plus skiers around, they'd lose too much revenue.
snow conditions
pam w, in snowboard years learning to board when 60 is the same as learning to ski when 80 Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tone1, I think there could be a car coming from your direction to the Milton Keynes trip on June 12th - It depends on whether NewSkier, finds that she can come - if you're interested it might be worth keeping an eye on the events thread to see if she finds that she is able to make it
snow report
Yes I'm coming and indeed I could go down the A15/46 via Lincoln.
latest report
Quote:

in snowboard years learning to board when 60 is the same as learning to ski when 80

Well, maybe. I'll tell myself that next time I'm annoyed with myself for my slow progress...
ski holidays
We are at the recreational stage at last and I am pleased to say Castleford have made an effort this year and now have three sessions for the more mature skier-details on their website. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Tone1, Welcome to snowHeads.
snowHead My Step Father skis at age 69, we have a lady in the race club at Hemel who still skis the gates hard at 71, a coach who runs a chalet business in Verbier and she skis regularly at 75.
Enjoy yor skiing.
Very Happy
ski holidays
Tone1, my parents had never been on snow before and on a family trip last year we got them on our snowboards for a mess around Twisted Evil they were aged 61 & 57
Dad loved it and wants to learn properly next, mum, well after a stupendous & undignified face plant has decided maybe she will learn to ski Razz
ski holidays
Quote:

a stupendous & undignified face plant

most learner snowboarders do those, at 16 or 60. I think one real advantage of learning when you are older, whether skiing or boarding, is that you are (or should be) not as self conscious about being less than cool. At 60, you've the confidence not to give a sh*t what anyone thinks and just please yourself. And that includes deciding to give up, and sit in a café with a drink.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Hmm. I have a feeling that as soon as I get anywhere near 70 they'll raise the age. There are too many 60 plus skiers around, they'd lose too much revenue.

Already happening some resorts.
snow report
Tone1 Encouraged by me (a ski addict), my partner learnt to ski at age 58 (after having had an operation for cancer)--he took private lessons and made good progress--had great fun discovering this new sport and the lifestyle...sadly he died three years later.
ski holidays
Julieanne, Sad hug for you
ski holidays
little tiger, Thanks! (His spirit and that of my daughter's ski with me --when I ski! Blush ) Apologies to sceptics Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
Julieanne,

My baby brother skis and hikes with me! I have to be near mountains/beach because he is with me there
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy