Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should we complain?

Poster: A snowHead
On our recent trip to Kaprun, we were very impressed by the ski bus service, which was really efficient, ran on time, had friendly drivers and the punters, although sometimes crowded onto the bus, were friendly.

Except on one occasion - the last day we spent on the glacier. We came down a little later than normal, and waited for the K2 bus that stopped outside our hotel. We slotted into the relatively informal queue in our place. Having missed a bus by about 10 minutes we knew we had a little while to wait, but didn't mind. There weren't many people waiting.

Then about 5 minutes before the bus was due, a bunch of folks from the Bosch CW Ketel Ski Team (identified by the name in big letters on their jackets) came along and slotted themselves in at the front of the queue. A few of their co-members were waiting behind us. However when the bus came, they pushed really hard to get on first, ignoring the fact that everybody else had been waiting longer than them. Also their comrades behind us started shoving so hard that those at the front were in danger of falling, and smaller people of getting crushed. We were being pushed off the kerb into the path of the bus, and with ski boots on, it isn't easy to keep balance. I managed to get a hand on the bus and protect an even smaller* Czech lady standing in front of myself, but it was very unpleasant. It was all down to the behaviour of these people, who were Dutch.

Part of me feels that complaining would make no difference to this bunch of arrogant people, but part of me says if you wear the company logo on your clothes, you have a responsibility to behave properly, and a small complaint might improve their behaviour in future.

I had seen some of them skiing on the glacier. A couple of them were handy skiers, but quite a few were in the "jacket open, muscle the skis round, flail the arms, snowplough some of the time, go really fast down the piste but without being in control" category.

So, should we complain to Bosch CW Ketel, presumably a Bosch outfit in the Netherlands? They didn't do their company image any good at all.

* Those who have met me know that being smaller than me is unusual, unless you are under 10 years old!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
docsquid, complain to stanton. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
docsquid, may as well complain - but you may come across a culture clash which causes incomprehension. I fear you have discovered the Austro/German queuing system.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
docsquid, may as well complain - but you may come across a culture clash which causes incomprehension. I fear you have discovered the Austro/German queuing system.

Is pushing and shoving (read: trampling from the description) also part of that "Austro/German queuing system" as well?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid,

I think you should, if you can find the right place to complain to. Even if it is the Austro/German queing system (?) there is no excuse for such poor behaviour. Are you sure they were Dutch - I've never come across such behaviour from the Dutch either in Holland or any other country
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
docsquid, yes. Bosch customer relations if no-one else.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I think you should, if you can find the right place to complain to. Even if it is the Austro/German queing system (?) there is no excuse for such poor behaviour. Are you sure they were Dutch - I've never come across such behaviour from the Dutch either in Holland or any other country

mmm not so sure. My Wife is Dutch and I have many friends who are from Holland, they are all exceptionally nice people, tolerant, polite, intelligent BUT they can't queue for toffee. Some kind of genetic change takes place as soon as two or more people try and get through the same door, possibly the red mist descends and thats it all hell breaks loose. In Holland I've held doors open for people and people often just stare at me incredulously that I hav'nt simply tried to dash in before them. I'd complain, an e-mail would take no time to fire off but I probably would'nt waste much time on it.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty,

Maybe they know I'm a hard case from Sunderland Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, respect wink snowHead

Frosty, You had 3 choices:

1) create a huge fuss at the time
2) forget about it
3) Complain

I would go for 1 and or 3

EDIT: There is a chance that they are just a fan club of a certain brand of Dutch Kettle.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, 1 and 3 would be my favourites too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
achilles wrote:

Is pushing and shoving (read: trampling from the description) also part of that "Austro/German queuing system" as well?

Yes. Love Austria and Germany - and have been charmed by the hospitality there. But they simply don't understand the queuing concept for buses and chairlifts, in my experience. I remember on holiday trying to sit down on a chairlift - only to find that someone had come into the same slot behind me, and had sat down on the chair first! On the same holiday I was staying with a predominantly American group. Great folk, but they could not understand the jostling involved in a lift queue - and kept complaining about it at dinner time - which became tedious.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
docsquid, you should have hit the biggest one as hard as you could, then you would either have died or got on the bus first Very Happy do not waste your time and get on with life I say
ski holidays
 brian
brian
holidayloverxx wrote:
Are you sure they were Dutch - I've never come across such behaviour from the Dutch either in Holland or any other country

Hmmm, in the L2A funicular last summer, some Dutch blokes crowded in around us. We requested they move up a little to give us a bit of breathing space and explained that my son is autistic and can get a bit anxious being squashed. The reply was that if he couldn't cope with the lift we shouldn't be taking him skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bloody Dutch ! Even the Dutch Bar owner in La Plagne didnt like the Dutch Holiday makers!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
docsquid, Im going to Holland in May- find the address and a rough physical description of each git and I shall seek to have a word. I will have them in tears.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

Or do as we did when bumped to back of the queue. we waited in for the 1st bus and couldn't get on, fair enough, we'll wait until the next one as we were pretty much the only ones left. Next bus comes along and the crowd has grown..but hey, we are in the front of the queue and position ourselves at THE bus stop. Bus arrives, doors open and these Germans come out of nowhere to jump the bus. I see red and grab this guys hat just as he is getting on board, and throw it to the back...( I might have said a few choice words as well ) he has to get off ...curses, lots of posturing...blah blah... nearly came to blows, but by that time, I didn't care much.

I think a few people appreciated it tho'
snow conditions
JT, Excellent Laughing We are too nice us Brits and rudeness of this type should be stood up against every time.

brian, Excellent self control. Chucking a hat is fine, but smashing someones face in (and i am sure you wantted to do it) is always a bad move.
ski holidays
JT, Nice Laughing Twisted Evil
snow report
Wow. Lots of comments. Yes, I'm sure they were Dutch, I don't speak Dutch, but have been there are recognise the language and can manage a few words, so I'm certain of their nationality. It seemed to me that all the other nationalities at least had the basics of queuing, even the Austrian/Germans. The place was full of Germans, Poles, Czechs, Slovaks and a few Russians and Brits. All of them managed to queue more or less properly (there's always one or two). Better behaved as a group than the French/Italians/Russians/Brits in the 3V earlier this year.

I'll see if I can find the right place and fire off an e-mail.
latest report
I was pushed off the bus as I was stepping onto it by a big bloke behind me! He just put his arm in front of me stuck out his elbow and caught me in the face. I fell backwards onto the pavement,ski's poles scattered ,made a hell of a din .He rushed on and found himself a seat. Two French guys helped me up ,got me on the bus , asked if I was ok . (Bless) They then went and had a few choice words with the aforementioned Chappy , ( didnt know what they said as it was in fast French). I dont know if this man understood them as he said, not a word! Praps he wasnt French ,anyway Im sure he got the drift wink As JT, said
Quote:

I think a few people appreciated it tho'

I have to say it shook me up a bit.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

and they call us arrogant...priceless...!!!

And the Americans, well, saw a few in Engelberg and they just can't cope.... damn locals, damn conditions are nowhere near as good as the stuff they left back back home on their local hill that no one has never heard off. Ice, language, etc etc etc..but at least they understand the concept of a queue, so we taught them that one well.

Most continentals see a gap and its almost a point of pride to get there first...re, Italians and southern continentals at a roundabout
and the odd looks you get when you wave a pedestrian across... they almost expect you to floor it and take them out..such is the look of surpise on their faces...ha.

I'm pretty laid back about all this as mostly I am on holiday and can't be bothered, but...sometimes, they push it too far and its a big GRRRRRRRR...!!! Laughing Laughing But you can't do this with your son.....so Brian's self control showed who was the bigger man, in this respect. I'd back the Jocks against the Dutch tho' Laughing
ski holidays
Well, I'm American and I nearly blew my top in Engelberg. I ended up shoving my pole into the side of a 70 year old man as he tried to pass me. We were well into the singles line, metal bars on either side, and he still tried to slide past me. I sincerely hope I caused internal damage. The man no longer deserves to live. Period.

I was on a bus in Innsbruck that nearly went into full mutiny because my fellow countrymen were so angry at the Euro's behaviour.

I usually raise a stink at the time of the offence. I've got 'and just why do you think you're better than the rest of us here' down pretty well in German.

As for complaining now, go ahead if it will make you feel better. A therapeutic exercise. But do not expect and real consequences. Even if you receive a polite email in response, be sure that nothing will be done. They probably won't understand, and if they do they won't care.
snow report
JT, being on holiday I generally let things go, but I did announce to the que at a chair lift in Verbier recently that if any one pushes in infront of me again I would take of my board and wack them across the head with it (which I would not actually do I must add, well i think I wouldn't). No one else pushed in infront of me and it was a very quiet and relaxing few minutes Very Happy I felt like bit of a prat though Blush
snow conditions
docsquid wrote:
Yes, I'm sure they were Dutch, I don't speak Dutch, but have been there are recognise the language

That will be the spittle, then. Shocked
ski holidays
no offence meant to our European cousins in general though Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, love 'em to bits!

(not that they're my cousins - they all live in the good ol' US of A!)
ski holidays
rayscoops,

Love em. In fact am missing the Queens Day party in London on 28th April cos will still be travellign back from the EoSB. Had a fab time last year
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That appears to be the point, they don't understand the concept of queuing so put them straight and they see they have offended someone which MOSTLY, they don't really mean to do. Even the kids pushing their way thro' lift queues get the jist if you let them know you don't appreciate it. And the Brits know how to skate quickly through a lift queue as well...Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Q: How do you recognise a lone English(wo)man?

A: (S)He forms an orderly queue of one!
snow report
GrahamN, I forget who said that communism would have worked in Britain, because we know how to form an orderly queue!
snow report
I've nearly had a fist fight in the St Anton taxi queue before. And it was very satisfying. Very Happy
snow report
I find that a good elbow in the nu*s tends to work quite well Toofy Grin

Family was barged out of way at lift by some German gentlemen recently, I accidently! managed to ski into them when leaving the chair & flattened them all Little Angel
only by accident you understand Toofy Grin
ski holidays
provenjohn,

You should have shouted 'auctung Spifire' ...!!! Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

they don't understand the concept of queuing

That's very true - in Italy at the airport check-in an Italian guy just wandered into the middle of the queue in front of us. My wife who is fluent in Italian (Italian parents) gave him what for. He was mortified, the Italians take it badly when they are told off, especially by a woman. He promptly went to the back of the queue.

snowHead
snow report
JT,

No, I apologised in French, don't want to let the side down Little Angel
snow conditions
provenjohn, Laughing Laughing Full marks!
snow report
Kramer wrote:
I've nearly had a fist fight in the St Anton taxi queue before. And it was very satisfying. Very Happy

I've come pretty close to that when trying to get onto the bus in Lech. 5pm bus back to Stanton, Shove the board on the back then run round the front, and don't get on. Nip back to the back and end up swinging from the board rack trying to get my board out before the bus departs. Oh well couple more van chaud over the road then ready for the 6pm fight..sorry queue.

board on the back then round to the front - elbows out and get stuck in - no other way of getting on board, but I felt if you can't beat em join em and be damned. Luckily having close cropped hair and a being a big lad probably helped. There were lots of people that didn't make that bus too..

Why thiey don't more frequently I don't know - unless it's all a scam to get the taxi drivers rich(er)
snow report
There is an element of 'if you can't beat em join em' though isn't there, even if you start out with good intentions....

I remember when I was a student in London, and from being all polite and patient when I first arrived, after a while I became like a proper local, whizzing down the left hand side on the escalators on the tube, with all those signs everywhere telling you to stand on the right, I used to find myself getting all stressed if some ignorant tourist dared to stand on the left..

Cutting off the paths of encoraching skis by a well planted pole works well at lifts, though only for those in your immediate vicinity, and not the general chaos
snow conditions
Well, I'm french and I'll be the first to admit that we can't queue for toffee and that any queue involving anymore than 2 people is a highly stressful volatile situation! rolling eyes
Especially for me, as I hate people pushing in front of others with a passion!

In fact, I think I may be living in England not because of my wife, but because orderly queuing is actually written in this nation's genes!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I had a similar experience recently on the lift up Montenvers. Those of you that know it, will know it can be a walk of death to get there. I was with a young inexperienced group whom had been blown away by the Vallee Blanche. We all crammed into our 'Bubble', followed by a 55 or so year old Frenchie with a huge rucksac, adorned with axe etc. He was bouncing around to see the view and doing all but taking out each and every eye of all others in the 'Bubble'. I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him to remove his pack until we arrived at the Train station. To which he 'Grunted' and did nothing. I asked again, he did the same. I called him a son of dubious parentage and wished Karma to act upon him next time on the Glacier and enable him to find the deepest cravasse. I than decided to enact my own revenge. At a cost of 20 odd euros, i work in a gear shop, i hitched a sling to the support strut in the lift, and clipped a Krab to the other end and then to the said rucksac. How we laughed, when he struggled to disembark the lift in time for the doors to reshut and carry him back down to the end of the Vallee. Wavey Davey" Bye bye, see ya!" Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy