Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Lessons suck"

Poster: A snowHead
To paraphrase (because I can't remember word for word) a quote in a freesheet in the Tahoe area in which a number of local pros offerred tips on how to become a better skier:

Find someone better than you and ski with them. Don't ski with people your own level. Don't take lessons because lessons mean you need to think and thinking sucks.

Shane McConkey

A similar piece of advice from JT Holmes echoed Kramer's sage ski tps " Just point 'em."

Heated debate anyone?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob wrote:
Don't take lessons

Heated debate anyone?

No point, because you are wrong snowHead wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Find someone better than you and ski with them.

That gets tiring and embarrassing before too long.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre wrote:
fatbob wrote:
Don't take lessons

Heated debate anyone?

No point, because you are wrong snowHead wink

I'm not taking credit for them as my own opinion but I think there is a certain amount of validity to them in the right context. For instance how much of the value of a lesson is in learning new stuff or having bad habits corrected and how much in being challenged to try new terrain or having a (paid for) better skier to follow around?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perfectly valid for a visual learner.

Utter rubbish to generalise for all learners.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman wrote:
Quote:
Find someone better than you and ski with them.

That gets tiring and embarrassing before too long.

as in 'Come on Dad why have you stopped, again'. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, got it in one! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, The only high speed is in the car now! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, lesson don't suck. The cost of lessons suck.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dysons suck.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr C likes to learn by watching other skiers that he thinks are good and following them (whether they know it or not! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley ) Or watching DVDs. His technique isn't great but he skis double blacks that I wouldn't even go near the edge to look at.

I learn by having lessons Little Angel

Horses for courses
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
Find someone better than you and ski with them. Don't ski with people your own level.

That's what I woz told on the Warren Shmitt course, thgis year, too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its good to practice by skiing with beter skiiers, & learn by having lessons Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've learnt to downhill ski and telemark by practice, watching other skiers, reading a couple of books (Paul Parkers Freeheel sking and Mike and Allens tele tips book for the tele) and occasional tips from other tele skiers. I've done OK by that method.

I started xc skiing and roller skiing a couple of years ago. I get coaching at the club and I've been on a couple of courses held at the same time as races as I was there anyway so it seemed daft not to do the course after travelling 1/2 the length of the UK. Coaching is good at picking up faults, watching yourself on video is even better - then you can actually see the fault. Still the biggest gains I think I've made have actually been getting out and practising (roller) skiing. We'll see how much improvement I've made come the racing season, especially the races at Huntly as they are on standard skis so there are no kit differences. We'll see if I can do the 655m flat sprint in under 2 minutes and the 1135m hill sprint in under 4 mins, if I can it will be a good measure of how much my technique has improved from the coaching.

Most importantly though wether you take lessons or not - have fun Smile.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Perfectly valid for a visual learner.

Utter rubbish to generalise for all learners.

Absolutely. I know a young man who skis really well, and has done it almost entirely by "copying". He keeps trying new things, and if they don't work he watches again, and tries again, and succeeds. On the other hand, you see skiers following instructors around every day, instructors in super position, skiers behind doing something totally different, and apparently completely unaware of it. Proprioception - is that the right word? Good instructors have a variety of ways of getting us to "feel" the difference between what we are doing and what we need to do, and most of us need that kind of expert help.

Whatever your learning style, you also need to actually WANT to learn. That young man is highly motivated to ski everything. But lots of people are happy to ski around doing the same stuff, same mistakes, year after year. If they are enjoying themselves, and not endangering others, fine.
latest report
Quote:

Find someone better than you and ski with them

still looking
snow conditions
I like the odd lesson to pick up any faults, but I have a driven passion to ski more and more terrain that I previously couldn't. In an average day of 6 hours skiing approx 4 of them will be spent in pushing my limits in one way or another. That's just what I enjoy doing and it seems to work for me. pam w, has it sussed - "Whatever your learning style, you also need to actually WANT to learn."
snow conditions
graeme, good on ye, mate! Comin' to the EOSB? Cool
snow report
Scarpa, Yeah - but you need to practise what you learn in the lessons! wink wink
snow report
ssh, sorry not this year, but am over your side of the pond jan 15th next season, winterpark. maybe you could give me some advice..re guide/backcountry ski touring
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Find someone better than you and ski with them. Don't ski with people your own level. Don't take lessons because lessons mean you need to think and thinking sucks.

Shane McConkey

That's probably much, much easier to say when your dad is described as "the father of extreme skiing" and was the director of the Whistler ski school...
latest report
it's true that you need to practise what you learn in lessons to get better and there's only so much an instructor can teach you before you just have to figure out hoew it works for you but in fairness theres no better way to get to know a new resort than through the guy who lives there!! instructors always know the best places to eat, cheapest places to drink, best places to party and the best slopes!! invaluble!!!
snow conditions
louweezy, welcome to snowHeads snowHead snowHead
latest report
PhillipStanton, I would imagine...

You can't learn to ski technically well without external criticism, advice and an understanding of technique. Otherwise you are inventing your own sport - perhaps we can call it "proto-skiing", or "maybe-skiing", ...or (ducks) "snowboarding"?

That begs the question of whether you need an "instructor" however. I know I'm crap at teaching. Sophie however is quite good. (Neither of us has any qualifications). We try not to be drawn into advising friends.

I guess a better thread title would be "Some Lessons Suck". Cos they do. But 'm afraid the sage comments from the uber-mensches rank alongside "Can't swim? Dive in! You'll learn quickly enough..."
snow report
welcome to my horrible typing mistakes!! for a native english speaker i'm pretty terrible at it....
snow report
Lessons can be good or a waste of money. Once you can ski a bit, it may be up to you how good a lesson is. My wife introduced me to skiing and didn't want to spend all week in ski school. She did, however, feel that she could do with a lesson at the start of a week skiing, in order to brush up her technique. After doing this with her a couple of times, I came to the conclusion that it was a waste of money. The instructor would see how we skied and improve that a bit with no real progress. Then my wife fell and hurt her leg and I went to the booked lesson on my own. Teach me to carve, I said and he did. Real progress, real learning but only because I asked for it. So, don't just go along. You know what you can't do, carving, moguls ar whatever, ask to be taught that.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Scarpa, Yeah - but you need to practise what you learn in the lessons! wink wink

You will spot me in early mornings traversing blues on one leg hehehe. Little and often everytime I find a few quiet moments on the gentle slopes is my motto now Little Angel Lessons give you insight, practice makes you improve Cool

As said above... communication is vital. Maybe find an instructor you develop a rapport with and stick with them for several lessons.
latest report
I used to coach sabre. We spent a lot of time in drilling the basic guard positions, as in a match when you only have milliseconds to react the movements have to come almost automatically while your brain works on the tactics.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
I used to coach sabre.

A police dog?
ski holidays
louweezy, don't worry, you're not the only one! rolling eyes Welcome!

Ull, sounds like that particular instructor was not adept at picking up what needed working on; that's not to say that all instructors are the same. However, it's a good point, and perhaps once we are past the staying-upright, snowplough turn and parallel turn stages (I am still looking to get past the third!) it helps to go to a lesson with a particular aim in mind.
snow conditions
it's always great to ski with people better than you because it really pushes you to improve but i think a lot of skiing is in your head and all about being confident in your own ability. if i'm skiing with people a lot better than me and i can't keep up it's very frustrating and can ruin my day. i keep falling and feel like i'm holding them back and getting angry at myself. a bad day on the piste can knock your confidence no end and take a while to get back.

i find i'm much better off with a couple of people around my level. at least that way you're not pushing yourself so far out of your comfort zone that you're really struggling and you'll have fun!! is that not what it's all about at the end of the day?!?!

i've had five different instructors in my time skiing and all of them were great with totally different teaching styles. i switched groups a couple of times this year to find the one that suited me best and i had an absolute ball. i think if you're going out expecting miracles from an instructor you're going to be disappointed but if you go with an open mind and just get stuck in you'll have a great holiday and the positive mindset means you'll improve loads without even realising!!!
latest report
Quote:

i think if you're going out expecting miracles from an instructor you're going to be disappointed

I found a "magic combination" (for me, that is): Two lessons with a day in between, on the same topic.

The first lesson got me started doing the right thing. The next day to pratice. Then a follow up leson to fine tune it. It worked like a miracle.

This works best when the second lesson is a private one. So I have the undivided attention of the instructor to pick out any mistakes.

If you don't know the instructor well. You can take one group lesson to check him (or her?) out. Then if you like it, book for a private the day after.
latest report
Scarpa, In an average 6 hours skiing day, 4 of them will not be spent pushing limits, they'll be spent queueing, riding lifts, or hiking up things.!! Unless of course you are really a very slow skier ? Try wearing one of those GPS things that tell you what your day has consisted of if you don't believe me !!
latest report
If you can ski, following someone better will take you to places and different snow conditions that you would never try on your own.
snow report
brock, yup, I'll second that! If it's left to me I just say, nah, looks a bit steep/icy/mogulled and go on to a nice easy run. We skied with a SCGB rep for a day or so in Sun Peaks this year & I quite surprised myself as to the runs I went down! Very Happy I know I would never have tried them if it was my choice Very Happy
ski holidays
beeryletcher, I believe ya - I was just quoting the ratio of hours though, not the actual time spent on the runs. Anyway - you may not know my limits in not falling off drag lifts Laughing
snow conditions
Here's what I did: Watch WC DH racers. Copy on unprepared DH courses. Twisted Evil
It's a very exciting way to learn. It's not for everyone though.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
I used to coach sabre. We spent a lot of time in drilling the basic guard positions, as in a match when you only have milliseconds to react the movements have to come almost automatically while your brain works on the tactics.

that's exactly it - but unfortunately many skiers don't want to bother to get the basics right - they want to ski the rough stuff without the base to support them! Sad

WRT skiing with better skiers - this is a good idea if they're better than you, but not if they're just faster

Best tip: going summer skiing - good for learning and all you see around you all the time are really good skiers, so your eye is filled with how it should be done - not how it shouldn't as in winter. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

not how it shouldn't as in winter

So true.

On a typical Level4 lesson, once I train my clients eyes, we then sit on the chairlift trying to spot the skier who is in good balance fore-aft.........

Maybe 1 in 20? snowHead
latest report
veeeight, I would go further (but it may be the geography). I reckon in winter about 80% on peeps on any given slope at any given time, are skiing badly, or at best not very correctly. In summer this is completely reversed, and it's amazing!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy