Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sale shopping for an 'all mountain' ski

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from Whistler last night, and after a week of skiing on very mixed conditions (everything from powder, slush and crud, through to the occassional early morning cordroy), I've come to the conclusion that an more all-round ski might be a good idea.

I'm about 5' 10" tall, weigh-in at around 76kg, and I guess you'd call me an intermediate skier (isn't everyone wink ), and I'm currently skiing Volkl 4-Stars.

I managed to test a few skis, and really liked the Salomon X-Wing Blast and the Bandit B2. Conditions were pretty heavy/slushy, with some powder to the side of the runs - and I thought they both performed well. I just wondered what people thought of these two skis in other conditions - i.e. groomed/moguls etc.

Also, are there any other skis that I should be considering? Missions for instance?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS: I also tested a couple of Atmoics (Nomads and Metrons), but really didn't get on with them - way too heavy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At the risk of being a bore - have a look at the Elan Magfire 10 Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't say whether its the best but very impressed with Fischer AMC 79. Not tested in powder. Good in crud and slush and impressive on hardpack. Might be one you can up cheap from ski bilek. I paid £120 plusP&P.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonflat2 wrote:
.....I also tested a couple of Atmoics (Nomads and Metrons), but really didn't get on with them - way too heavy.

Metron's are heavy but ski light due to their low swing weight. The Nomads are certainly not heavy skis - my 176 Crimson's are only 6.4kg inc Neox bindings.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try the B3.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snoop Daddy

Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonflat2, I ski on X-Wing Tornados (162cm) which are similar to the Blast but have a wood core and a Smartrak Prolink binding interface. I like them a lot - they are light and easy to use on piste with good edge grip and rebound. They are relatively soft flexing so it's easy to vary the turn shape. My experience of them off-piste is similar to what you describe. The only slight downside is that if you schuss flat out, the tips tend to wander at high speed, but since I prefer to make short to medium radius turns down the fall-line, it doesn't bother me too much. BTW I'm 170cm tall, weigh 70kg and intermediate skier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would agree with Mosha Marc B3 pretty good if you are looking to get into a bit more off piste skiing. They're still pretty good on piste, not great for moguls as they are quite wide but still workable
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll second the Fischer AMC79.

Also you could stick to Volkl and the AC3s or AC4s...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Friend of mine tried out Rossi B2, K2 Apache Outlaw and Volkl AC3 earlier this year, bought the AC3 as he thought it was stable and versatile for both on and some off piste use (say 70:30).

However I would recount this tale as I got some AC3's this year too and love 'em wink

You may have issues getting hold of either AC3 or AC4 in sales. I think they have been a big success this year so not many left in the shops.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, maybe the Nomads 'felt' heavier than they actually because they weren't as nippy in the short turns compared to the others. They were definitely a lot of fun during big sweeping/carved turns on soft snow though.

Maybe I'm just not an "Atomic Man".

Anyone know how the Scott Aztec / Aztec Pros or Missions compare to the B2 and X-Wing? I've heard a lot of good things about them, but having not actually ridden them I'm wary.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jonflat2 wrote:
Maybe I'm just not an "Atomic Man".

rolling eyes

An all mountain ski isn't going to be as nippy as sub 70mm short radius ski. I wouldn't describe the B2 as nippy. Try the Stockli Stormrider XL.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Try the Stockli Stormrider XL.

I agree with that, but they are not cheap, I have skied 3 seasons on Elan m666 and can really recommend them as an all mountain ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonflat2, test the Missions (my choice) and the B3's. Both much better than the B2 as an all mountain ski. I would say 176 and 174cms.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
174 XL for 70-30% piste bias.
check this out
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=584457&highlight=stormrider#584457
ski holidays
jonflat2, I'm not sure about the statistics, but although I do really like my Scott Missions, they do seem a little on the heavy side to me, so I'm not sure whether you would like them as much.

I've not tried the Aztec Pros myself, but everyone I know who has has liked them.
ski holidays
Kramer, I thought that might be the case.

As I've tested and enjoyed it, I might go for the X-Wing Blast, or maybe the Tornado (which I undertand is basically the same ski, except that it has a wood core).

Size-wise, the Salomons are available in a 162 and 170 length ... The Salomon website "ski chooser" tool reckons I should go for the 162, but this seems a bit on the short side to me. Any thoughts?

[Edited for typos]
latest report
jonflat2, 170 minimum.
snow report
Movement Spark
Quote:
The Spark combines the best characteristics of Movements' innovative designs in one do-it-all go-anywhere ski. With a versatile 17-18 m radius thanks to the 121-82-110 mm sidecut, the Spark turns easily and rapidly.

An Okume/Poplar composite wood core with triaxially-braided fibres gives the Spark an even moderately-snappy flex while the 121 mm wide tip floats a treat when the going gets deep.

Versatile with lots of character, the Spark is a great choice whether mounted with tele, alpine or randonnée bindings. Movement have wisely made the Spark in three lengths, adding the longer 183 cm for 2007.

Wood core!

I would not buy anything if you have not tried it though!
ski holidays
fragglerock,

Fine ski but that and the XL are up a few notches, I'd say, as is the AC4
snow conditions
dan100 wrote:
I can't say whether its the best but very impressed with Fischer AMC 79. Not tested in powder. Good in crud and slush and impressive on hardpack. Might be one you can up cheap from ski bilek. I paid £120 plusP&P.

i like the sound of those but they only seem to selling the 76's recently
ski holidays
RichA, There are some 79's for sale on ebay.de. I bought some 76's from ski-bilek yesterday £127 +p&p.
latest report
The AMC76 has a tighter sidecut than the 79, and according to the Fischer website has an extra layer of titanal for high speed stability. So slightly more piste-biased. I bought a pair of v cheap 76s on the strength of the mostly very good reviews, but have not had a chance to properly try them out yet. Am heading out to Courmayeur in a couple of weeks, hoping to do the Vallee Blanche as well as plenty of piste work. Will post a review on my return, if you can wait that long.
snow conditions
the ice perv, I'm hoping mine turn up in time to take them to L2A next Saturday. I will use mine mainly on piste and have only just started having the odd foray off so should suit me.
snow conditions
Colin B, 127 quid for a brand new ski - sounds like an amazing deal. Can anyone comment on how they compare to the X-Wings/Bandits?
ski holidays
If they are the same as the Fischer Maru 76 (I think the Maru is just the version they are selling in France) I'd say they compare pretty well. I tried a lot of skis earlier in the season and ended up getting the Fischers (see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23738 ) They are relatively heavy, but not noticeably more so than B2s and 3s, I think. One of the french magazines made them "expert all mountain" ski of the year

http://lapoudre.com/?rub=details2007&id=1-

They're not difficult to ski however - certainly easier than most of the others I tried in February
snow report
GeorgeM, From the Fischer Website there are 2 versions of the AMC 76; the Titan and the Brick Red. I believe that the difference is not only in the colour but that the Titan is stiffer. For no other reason than the Maru looks to be red on your link I suspect it may be the Brick Red. Maru does seem to be a far better name for a ski than Brick Red which is pretty naff anyway.
snow report
jmdohanlon wrote:

You may have issues getting hold of either AC3 or AC4 in sales. I think they have been a big success this year so not many left in the shops.

or maybe not! http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25663
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonflat2, *the* Whistler one ski quiver this year is the Head iM82. Next year sees the addition of the iM78 as well.
snow conditions
Definitely the Movement Spark - best All Mountain Ski I have tried - and I have tried a few. I still haven't given them back and probably never will...
snow report
Hmmm I picked up a pair of last years 1080 Thrusters (salomon) and have been using them as all mountain skis - light weight, CHEAP, fat enough for powder, twin tipped for being stupid with. I have used them for big powder days (last week - was incredible), crud and fast piste skiing (they are not so flexible that they flap all over the place at high speed unlike some other skis with a freestyle bent). Great all round ski if you are not worried about this seasons fashion.
snow report
Just got back from Italy: skied Courmayeur; Vallee Blanche over to Cham; La Thuile/La Rosiere. Skied solid ice, crud, crusty off-piste, moguls, corn snow and slush. The Fischer AMC76 handled the lot, loves proper carving tho, less keen on skiddy technique, but more forgiving than some e.g. Head Supershape. Stiff enuff for me to blast through most conditions. Seems solidly built too: the VB below the cog railway was v rocky and icey but my bases & edges are not too bad at all. Pleased with purchase Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Colin B wrote:
RichA, There are some 79's for sale on ebay.de. I bought some 76's from ski-bilek yesterday £127 +p&p.

I suspect you'll be pleased. I bought a pair earlier in the season. I think you'll be pleasently surprised how well they perform on piste. The only place I struggled slightly is in bumps and this is more down to my technique than the ski.

They are very stable and I suspect you'll be pleased.

It would be interesting to know if any one has skied these and the Legend 8000s that have a slight reputation for struggling on ice to see how the two skis compare overall given the wider popularity of the Legends.
snow report
Sorry...but 76 underfoot is not an all mountain ski in my mind.
Now obviously any ski can be skied all over the mountain, but 76 is just way too skiiny for powder and even deep slush.

I own some 76 Volkl 724 EXP and I keep them for boilerplate days on piste.
Fischer Big Stix 86 are all mountain...and fatter then very fat for different powder days.

I have the kuxury of having a ski room where multipairs can be left all year round, but if I was to choose just one pair for all mountain it would have to be the 86's.

76...skinny skis! (Still can be a lot of fun though....especially at that price!!)
latest report
Depends on how much you weigh. It's not just length underfoot but area. 76mm isn't bad if you're 70kg. If you weigh 90kg otoh 90/70x76 is 97mm. Not an accurate calculation I know but you get the idea.
snow report
dan100, I hope so. I was hoping to take them to LDA last week but the carrier screwed up and I didn't get them until after I returned Sad
snow report
Colin B wrote:
dan100, I hope so. I was hoping to take them to LDA last week but the carrier screwed up and I didn't get them until after I returned Sad

shame I actually had the 79s not 76s. Saying that here's to next year
latest report
rungsp, 76 is a good compromise for all mountain for many people. Just depends on your personal preference and piste/powder bias.

I like the Head Monsters. I used the iM72 this year for everything and it performed very well in most conditions - from hardpack to deep powder. Next year I'm going with wider iM82s because I'm quite heavy (90 kg)
ski holidays
uktrailmonster i like the head skis as well

this year i've been using either monster im70 or mojo 90 and enjoyed both, the mojos arent at all bad on the piste

i've been wanting to try the im77 or im82 so let us know what you think, i have sold the im70s on ebay so now have room for another pair!
ski holidays
Roger C, yeah I'm looking forward to trying the iM82s. They've had rave reviews just about everywhere. So have the iM77s for that matter. They seem more versatile than many other all-mountain skis. My current iM72s are excellent on hard pack, superb in soft snow, respectable in bumps, respectable in powder. I could easily live with them again next year, but I wanted to try the iM82. Actually, the brand new iM78 sounds even better for my usage, but I'll wait another year for the prices to drop.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy