Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to take kids snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Further to my post some time ago, I now have permission from a non- snowHead other half to have 2 holidays next year! Razz - without trading in the other half!

One with mates, and one to take sprog 2 & sprog 3 snowboarding (sprog 1 not interested Sad )

So the question is..... where to take kids aged 12 & 14 who have learnt very basics of snowboarding with a good standard of tuition that is not too expensive.

Supplementary question - do i as a fairly good skier stick to what i know and enjoy, or bite the bullet and learn with them? Would I enjoy it as much as what i knowand love?

All suggestions gratefully received!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
afcbtim, give snowboarding a try....but don't be surprised if your kids pick it up quicker than you!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2Alpes - good tuition, lots of reasonably easy boarding high up, NO drag lifts! Definitely try it - what have you got to lose?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
afcbtim, Plan Peisey / Vallandry is a nice little resort with a huge gentle bowl above the trees to learn in and not too much nightlife for exploratory teens to get p***ed in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
afcbtim, I found Alpe D'Huez good for learning becasue of the big very wide greens (with enough of a slope to get up bit of a canter) down to resort level that were accessed by a big gondola, rather than chair lift.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
2Alpes - good tuition, lots of reasonably easy boarding high up, NO drag lifts! Definitely try it - what have you got to lose?

Somewhat perplexed by this - highest up & gentlest is the glacier which is almost exclusively drags?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

afcbtim, Plan Peisey / Vallandry is a nice little resort with a huge gentle bowl above the trees to learn in and not too much nightlife for exploratory teens to get p***ed in.

But what about bars for me to get p***ed in when they have passed out with exhaustion? Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, you never found the funicular then wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, it's all about the funicular. Blues and greens off the top, run down the Signal, back to mid-station via lots of easy blues. (And a long track, but you've got to get to grips with those at some point, might as well start early.)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And the walk up the funicular steps at 3500m is a good test of anyone's fitness Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, I usually run up them to get ahead of the skiers. Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, Now I am impressed Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, totally disagree, the blues can be quite steep, long and flat and busy depending which ones you take, the funicular is a pain and uncomfortable and depending what lift/chair you take you will probably have to board down to it (or take the lift). So as a learner boarder you have to jump on a couple of gondolas, take a lift, ride the funicular like a sardine, get off the funicular and climb a load of steps, walk about 100 m on the initial flat bit just to start your first run Puzzled I have seen learner trying to ride down to nthe funicular and it was painful to watch. Any resort that has low level greens and blues must be better than that.

Also disagree that riding a very busy 400 m ? long flat track with a wall one side and a cliff drop the other side is recommended for a learner. They will end up walking Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, God, you're such a fusspot. Laughing Laughing

I did two days on Cretes and then came down the runs from the glacier - they really aren't that difficult.
latest report
 brian
brian
afcbtim, I learned snowboarding in Val Thorens. Started on the big nursery bit then made my way down to the bubble that leads up towards the Cime de caron cable car, it has a nice wide confidence building but gentle blue. Then progressed back up above the village, plenty of big wide slopes with chairlifts is what you need I think.
snow conditions
Lizzard, i remember coming down reds/blacks from the Glacier in Tignes on day 2 Very Happy , but it did not help my boarding Sad agreed the blues at L2A are ok and a leaner would muddle down, but to actually learn on them ............... maybe not wink Interesting that you learned on Cretes but recommended the glacier Puzzled I would have thought Cretes would be better except for the two man chair which I recall seemed to catch out the novice boarders/skiers when I was there.
snow report
rayscoops, you got it spot on. I remember doing a lot of paths and schussing in LDA. I wouldn't go back there on a board.

I pulled out a post I made to rsre after my trip there:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.skiing.resorts.europe/msg/dae8adcf23ad8d2d

I would choose Puy Saint Vincent because it is cheap, convenient, no flat spots, the only path run is reasonably wide and never totally flat and has enough chair lifts.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 28-03-07 12:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Interesting that you learned on Cretes but recommended the glacier

Are you suggesting that I had ceased to learn by day three?
snow report
Lizzard, nope not suggesting anything of the sort but you did point out easy runs at the glacier (in relation to a place to learn thread) and never mentioned Cretes as your actual learning place. How did you get on with the small chair lift at Cretes on day one and two?. L2A is not too learner friendly for boarders compared to other resorts but nevertheless a great place to go in other respects and I shall be back there next season Very Happy .
ski holidays
rayscoops, I fell off it and smacked my shoulder. Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, me too Very Happy but it was not day one or two Sad
snow conditions
afcbtim, have you decided whether to join the kids and learn boarding? You should, it would add a huge amount to the quality of your time together (on in other words, give 'em a larf). It could be quite annoying for them if you are just cruising round effortlessly on your skis.... If you board too, you'll be too exhausted to get pi***sed too. Would make for a cheap holiday!
snow report
afcbtim,
I have never boarded so my comments may be redundant but it strikes me everyone has recommended Frech resorts so far. I dont know when you plan to take the kids but I guess February half term is possible. If so I would spread my choice a little wider, French resorts can be mega crowded then as well as being generally a little more expensive than other countries.

Why not try somewhere in Austria , switzerland, Italy or Andorra, Can't help on the best places for learning to board but Obertauern has reliable and usually soft snow which must help.
ski holidays
I learned to board on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier, and have since been and boarded at Zell am See (same lift pass). Didn't have lessons there, so can't comment on that.....but it was possible to get round quite a few slopes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy