Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners boots on the cheap

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just got back from my first Ski trip (La Plagne) and am I hooked :-0

The only downside and one I don't want to repeat is the pain my legs and feet were in.

The first pair of boots left one of my shins bruised and both my big toes feeling like i had ingrown toe nails, the second pair, a salomon something, gave me big calluses on the sides of both feet.

So now I am back and still excited, I want to buy a pair for next years trip which fit, money unfortunately is an object, I only have about £200 max to spend

My options seem to be buy a cheap pair (circa £50)on Ebay and then go to a fitter and have a lining molded to fit and buy a footbed.

Snow and Rock do a fitted lining and footbed for aound £150 is that around standard ?

or

Go to a shop and buy a new pair of boots, if I do that and the description says heat molded does that mean I get the same fitting service as buying a custom lining and would 200 cover a good beginners boot, the fitting and footbed ?

Also any reccomendations on fitters near Haywards Heath / Brighton besides Snow and Rock ?

Cheers,

Noggin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Noggin007, Are you a beginner? I am - For the money you are talking about I went to my local ski shop, got a brand new pair of boots with heat moldable liners - fitted by the chap - taking 2-3 hrs of time until he was happy and it cost £140 - Head 8.8's - apparently beginner to intermediate standard. I could have had a pair of superfeet for another £36, but they weren't necessary.

Lots of folk on here are boot experts and will give you lots of expert advice, but I'm sure you will be able to buy new and fitted for the sort of cash you are discussing.

P.S. I wore them for a week this year and didn't know I was wearing them they were that comfy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Noggin007, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Noggin007, welcome to snowHead The Snow + Rock sale is on at the moment. I got 30% off a pair of Salomon Rush 8s, then got custom footbeds made and they heat-moulded the liners. They had to expand the shell a bit to give slightly more width on one foot and they got it bob-on. The boots were SUPERB to ski in at the weekend.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just paid £200 for my 1st boots, ladies' Nordica GTS8, with heat moulded inners and custom footbeds in EB's sale. I think you will find what you need at the price you want to pay and of course buying new means you can keep going back if there is any fit problem or advice needed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Noggin007, welcome. Don't buy boots on ebay - it's a bigger lottery than hiring boots.

For £200, you should get a proper fitting on a decent pair and be able to expect a few after sales modifications if needed.

For your first ever pair, I wouldn't worry about footbeds and the rest of it unless you have real problems getting a decent fit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

For your first ever pair, I wouldn't worry about footbeds and the rest of it unless you have real problems getting a decent fit.

Footbed isn't about fit for the most part. It's mostly for performance.

Having gotten one on my new pair makes me wish I had them on my previous pair.

Beginer's mistake is just look at comfort because you had a badly fitted boot from the hire shop. The thought of performance is still too far from the brains yet. Within a season, you're likely to really crank down on the buckles trying to get that close, tight fit feeling you finally realize you want. With a footbed, you have the performance WITHOUT having to really over-tighten your boots.

On the other hand, footbed can be done later (say, next season) if money is an issue. Though for the stated budget, I'd think he has an excellent chance to find a nice professional fitter, a good close yet comfy fitting boot, AND footbed all done in one. You wouldn't believe how big a difference it makes. (and you wouldn't understand why your mate with too big boots are having so much trouble handling the slope either wink )

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-03-07 19:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks peeps, the advice makes me feel I am on the right track.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Noggin007, i.e. you're still going to buy off ebay Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Noggin007, I have custom footbeds only because of a problem with one ankle which I badly injured some years ago (not skiing!). It enables me to stand straight, which without the footbeds I can't do. Had I not needed them the boots alone with heat moulded innter would have been £140 fitted. Check out the EB sale website http://www.ellis-brigham.com/ski-boots.htm and also tell us where you are and I'm sure someone will recommend somewhere within a reasonable distance that you can try.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy