Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Childs Ski-ing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Basically my 9 year old daughter appears to have reached a plateau in her ski-ing. We are off to Saas Fee on Sunday where she will be having improver group lessons in the morning and attending Super Sprites club (boarding, blading for fun!) in the afternoon. This will be her fourth ski holiday (2 in La ros and 1 in Les Arcs). I just feel that there has been very little improvement in her ski-ing over the last two holidays (she is still quite slow and deliberate). What can I do to remedy to the situation? Should I try to get her some private lessons in place of Super Sprites? I'm not expecting miracles but would like her to be able to ski down blues and maybe the occasional red with the rest of us.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LoopyLou, She needs competition from someone, we have been lucky with 2 of them trying to out do each other. Where that push comes from is up to you. A good idea may be for her to ski with you. I am now a strong believer in kids, once they can control their speed and direction, should do as much skiing as possible as they learn so quickly. Take her out in the afternoon and show her what you can do.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LoopyLou, I agree with Frosty the Snowman - take her with you in the afternoons if you are good skiers ( you don't say what level you are ) but also getting her a couple of hours one on one with an instructor for a couple of days will help her as well. I gave up paying for mass ski school for SP when he was 8 as it was just a waste of money. He now skis with me and has a few private lessons which he hates the thought of then ends up loving the lesson and the instructors.

CP - ( 6 sleeps to go snowHead )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm with Frosty. The young ones seem to come on so much quicker when there's someone they're related to or pally with to be in competition with or at least to egg them on. Perhaps she's stagnating in groups lessons and clubs. My 2 eldest (10 and 12) did loads of skiing all over the place with me and the family we shared the chalet with, and they came on incredibly fast. And the private lesson at the beginning of the week really really helped. If I were you I'd be tempted to drop Super Sprites and perhaps shar a couple of private lessons with her. With a couple of lessons she should be much happier to ski the blues and reds with you. Perhaps it's this encouragement she needs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well to be honest she was going to come out of super sprites for the boarding anyway. The other three of us were going to have a couple of private lessons anyway so we might well include my daughter in this too, only thing is we are all competent skiers so there might be a quite a difference in ability within the group. Will the instructor not get a bit hacked off with this?
Agree about a bit of competiton howevere there is 4.5 years difference between son and daughter which really is a bit too much...looks like we'll have to try to ski with others in the chalet to help this along a bit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Completely agree about the competition. Our daughter was older - about 12 - but also slow and deliberate (good technique, after several lots of ski school, but soooooooooooo slow). Then a cousin from Zimbabwe, who had never seen snow, let alone a piste, came on a holiday with us. He was a bit older, and very athletic (southern African junior squash champ). She looked forward to showing off. Then, to her horror, he played hookey from beginner ski school after two days and showed every sign of catching up and overtaking her. She would not contemplate that, and just got faster and faster, to stay ahead. She never looked back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My daughter is 11 with about 6 weeks skiing but was also a bit slow and careful, when skiing with me anyway. I booked her several private lessons last month but tagged along also (which I wouldn't necessarily recommend). I was amazed at the speed she followed the dishy young male (according to her and her mother anyway) french instructor. Her all round skiing improved a lot too. This approach certainly worked for her.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I mention in the other thread my Swiss friends have kids approx. the same age as mine. Their eldest is only 2mths older than Jane-Marie and already she is after racing him down the hill -I'm sure the healthy competition will do neither of them any harm - though I doubt she will ever catch him as he can ski far more often than her!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your feedback, I was sure that others had been in the same position as I.

Update is that I am in the process of booking my daughter a 2hr private lesson for the Monday after we arrive on Sunday. Just waiting for the Swiss Ski School in Saas to confirm. After that we'll play it by ear....but probably another lesson in a couple of days after we have taken her out to work up that competitive spirit which I'm sure is lurking in her little body somewhere Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy