Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder Ski Review: Dynastar Legend 8000s vs Nordica Dobermann SL-Rs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you've seen Phil Stanton's post you'll know that we had two cracking days around Avoriaz/Linga on Friday and Saturday. Definitely the best days of the season so far. 'Twas slightly a surprise on Friday (and we had an early start) so the Sophster and I just went out on our slalom skis. Soph was skiing very nicely, managed to remember which leg to apply the knee brace to and seemed perfectly happy on her old Volkl P50 SLs.

I was out on my Nordica's and by jove, they were surprisingly competent for a ski that really isn't intended for free riding 50cm of freshies. Slightly tiring however but really make you work and really make you concentrate. Marvellous.

Saturday we thought we'd make life easier on ourselves and rented some Legend 8000s. Comment from Eric Baud, the proprietor, "you'll either love them or hate them".

I am afraid to say that we both had rather more fun on our own skis. At one stage the Legends were roundly described as "fat, flappy things". I know there are many SHs who like them, so I guess Eric was right. They just did not agree with Soph or me. They did make the pow pow easier, but at the expense of on piste stability and performance. A fast run down the Arare race piste had me struggling to keep up with my chum.

That said, they did make it easy enough for Soph to enjoy a fantastic run down the vallee de la manche. Possibly the best conditions I've ever done it in. Pity you couldn't see more than 8 turns in front of you...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch, Ha ha..the 8000's are old hat...you should have got a Mantra or something a bit beefier. Get those DP Pro's in 180 and see how they run. No need to go much longer.

You really shouldn't be comparing 8000's with a Dobermann....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, he he, DP Pros maybe this weekend...

Why not?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, those SL-Rs are real race skis. Any all-mountain ski is going to pale in comparison in on-piste stability and performance!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I prefer the 8800's to the 8000's, very stable at speed and better off piste than the 8000's. Ok on piste too, unless it's very firm. Haven't skied the Nordica's.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Hot Rod Jet Fuel or Afterburner would be better comparison skis for the SL-Rs. They get much closer to that performance on-piste, and with the extra width deliver more float in pow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssh, for sure, unquestionably, it's an unfair comparison - but what I found interesting was that the SL-Rs were much better as an all round ski than I expected, much, much better - whereas the 8000s were a big disappointment. They really gave me little confidence. And they sounded odd.

My old 9Xs, were, for me, a much better all mountain ski.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, I can see that. Especially if you're comfortable skiing in the snow and not just on it. I find SLs to be great all-around skis. The Rossis would be quite a bit more forgiving than the Nordicas, tho. wink snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch wrote:
And they sounded odd.

?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch wrote:
Phil Stanton..."fat, flappy things"

I do wish you'd stop talking about me like that wink

Anyway, given how you guys were skiing the SLs on Friday I'm surprised at the change on Saturday. I know you were tired, but so were we all. Glenn and Chris probably slept all the way back to Verbier!
comprex wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:
And they sounded odd.

?

That'll have been me saying "you can't make me go down there..." Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DM, 180, not much more...you aren't the tallest..and I think you'll love 'em...can't wait to hear what you think
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, two reasons why 8000s may not have suited you: a) you're only about 3' tall and hence probably weigh about as much as the contents of Kate Moss' bra Wink Laughing and b) you're an excellent skier Shocked .

Of course the 8000 will perform worse on-piste than your Slalom skis - they're designed with a definite off-piste bias. But as you're fairly light you don't need most of the off-piste support that the 8000s give, and being a great skier you can control the slalom skis in terrain that would flummox most of the rest of us. By the same token, the last day I had off-piste with Phil Smith he was on his SL race skis and of course doing a great job, whereas the only ones of the rest of who were coping with the conditions reliably were on 88mm skis or wider. I'd agree with Spyderman that the 8800s are better off-piste than the 8000s, particularly for the less svelte of us, but I really didn't think they worked much on piste, whereas the 8000s did OK. Both are well superceded now though in terms of edge hold (but are still better than B2s Razz ).

I'd agree that something like a Stockli ski would be a better balance for you all round (with way better edge hold), but I think the DP Pros (which suit me down to the ground) may be again quite a bit more than you need (they don't really turn on a sixpence, to say the least), and they do need skiing fast (but that's no sacrifice eh Wink ). You'd probably find more enjoyment though from something narrower, like the XLs.

Quote:
Pity you couldn't see more than 8 turns in front of you...
[yorkshireman]Looxury...aye...most of the time at LG we could only see the turn we'd just made!!![/yorkshireman]
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, [laughs_out_loud]hee hee[/laughs_out_loud] 1. you are too kind. 2. hmm, me inside Kate Moss's bra. The mind boggles and hopes that Soph isn't around to read that. Actually it's me getting into her pants, not the bra, that I'm thinking (?!) about. Anyway, according to the red tops she's a "spotty drunk", so Soph's almost certainly not all worried... Twisted Evil

I'm not sure about the Stocklis. I quite like the idea of something that only does big lairy turns in deep snow. I really think I just want to try them. I think you're probably right that I don't need anything quite so wide, as I think both Soph and I are quite light on our feet. But it might be quite fun to have at least ONE preposterous pair of skis (clearly the SL-Rs aren't at all preposterous...unlike B2s <ducks>)

Dear Admin, can we please have a smiley for "ducks behind sofa as though confronted by a posse of stair climbing daleks"?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy