Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmetcam video from Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
I bought a helmetcam recently and today gave it a go for the first time. I've uploaded a bit of footage to snowMedia, but a few apologies: the video file is quite large as I don't have the right software on my laptop to compress it; the footage is quite long as I didn't have time to edit it down; and the sound is atrocious because of wind noise from the microphone. When I get home I'll do a better job of editing it and will sweeten the sound before re-posting. If anyone is thing of buying a helmetcam I'd say do it, as they are impressive little things Smile

Click here for video

Edit: I've added another little video, this time taken with a regular videocamera. The plan is to cut the two bits of footage together.

Click here for more video

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-03-07 18:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
any details on the kit you used??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The helmetcam was one of these, plugged into a Sony PC109. I used a Lanc controller to turn the camcorder on and off remotely (it was in my backpack, with the lanc controller fed through the strap where the drinks tube would normally live).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's impressive output, even compressed, not much camera shake etc!! Bit worried when I saw the stairs at the start....

Now I hope you had it recording for last weeks deep powder!!!

Cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
Now I hope you had it recording for last weeks deep powder!!!

Too busy enjoying it to mess around with camcorders!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Superb. Many thanks I really enjoyed it. When someone asks me what its like to ski I shall show them that vid.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, That's great !!! What does Mrs rob@rar, think about your acknowledging the presence of the young lady on the first lift ? wink

What fun ... and really enjoyable to watch. Thanks. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, glad you enjoyed it.

Agenterre, she doesn't have a problem with that young lady. I think she might be more worried about me skiing into a tree.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, Obviously a 'no-prisoners' morning Twisted Evil last section, the Foret blue down to Vallandry (lift 14)?

Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
rob@rar, Obviously a 'no-prisoners' morning Twisted Evil last section, the Foret blue down to Vallandry (lift 14)?

Yes, that's the right piste. I was taking it fairly steady this morning; I would have gone a lot quicker but there were slow skiers all over the bloody place Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, glad you enjoyed it.

Agenterre, she doesn't have a problem with that young lady. I think she might be more worried about me skiing into a tree.

... while distracted by the fair mermaid (or rather mountainmaid)
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, you're an awful long way from the piste, must be knackering doing that trek every morning. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian wrote:
rob@rar, you're an awful long way from the piste, must be knackering doing that trek every morning. wink

Especially as my girlfriend makes me carry her skis Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've added another bit of video (link in my first post), this time taken holding a videocamera in one hand as I ski. Great respect to Graham Bell when he does his race piste videoing. I was on a gentle blue going quite slowly and was still scared stiff of falling and breaking the videocamera!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, nice video, and a lot smoother than the stuff I got with mine.
I put up a thread in the apres zone last night where I mounted the camera on my boot.
snow report
rob@rar, Ya need a furry condom. wink
snow report
rob@rar, great video! you were flying past people all over the place !
Was thinking of buying a helmet cam for next trip so good to see actual footage before purchasing.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
rob@rar, Ya need a furry condom. wink

Yup, I plan to buy one. Apologies, it really is a nasty noise Sad
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I put up a thread in the apres zone last night where I mounted the camera on my boot.

Yeah I saw that, I figured that I hold my head steadier than my legs which will be bouncing around all over the place.
snow conditions
rob@rar, me and Mr Leis thoroughly enjoyed your vid dude. We both sat there transfixed and enjoyed every moment. I even liked the wind noise - added to the atmosphere I reckon. Thanks for sharing. snowHead
snow conditions
rob@rar,

Great pics...The line-up of the helmut cam work well..was it hard to set-up and do you have a fixed position so you get that typ of angle everytime from the helmut cam?
ski holidays
Rob, I hope you don't mind me adding to this

This is a hand held section and you can see the advantages of a helmut cam which is set-up properly.
I think I will have to get a helmut now...Laughing

Click here for movie

Apologies fror the banal commentary...haven't had time to overdub...Laughing
snow report
Quote:

helmut cam?

Is that one attached to a German bloke?

Based on this thread I have just made a purchase
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Sounds like a boot cam. Not to be confused with a
ski holidays
BGA, Well done Very Happy I found the movie fascinating escpecially where you can see Robs shadow in front.
snow report
JT wrote:
rob@rar,

Great pics...The line-up of the helmut cam work well..was it hard to set-up and do you have a fixed position so you get that typ of angle everytime from the helmut cam?

I bought a fabric velcro mount that the helmetcam slips into, then stitched the fabric mount onto a spare pair of goggles I have. This way I can use it with or without a helmet (should really call it goggles-cam!). Using it this way keeps it pointing in more or less the right direction, although I'll want to experiement a bit with placement so I get the best feld of view (the stuff I took yesterday was pointing a bit too low for my liking).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, I've just bought the same camera, and I obviously need to experiment with the positioning. I was wondering if you'd tried just placing it centrally on top of your helmet (stop sniggering at the back) or whether it needs to go on the side as most of the pictures on the camera shop's website indicate.
ski holidays
BGA, the standard lens that these things come equipped with has a very wide field of view, so if you placed it at the top of the helmet (in the middle rather than the front) I think that you would probably see the helmet in the bottom part of your video picture. I have mine mounted onto my goggles strap, initially about two inches back from the frame of the goggles, but even that close to the front the goggles still intruded into the video frame. I've now moved the helmetcam much closer to the goggles frame and it is (mostly) out of shot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks rob@rar, I'll play around with it tomorrow when it arrives. I was thinking about just trying to put it as far forward and as central as I could but I take your point about the FOV. I take it the video you posted was taken with the standard lens?
ski holidays
BGA wrote:
Thanks rob@rar, I'll play around with it tomorrow when it arrives. I was thinking about just trying to put it as far forward and as central as I could but I take your point about the FOV. I take it the video you posted was taken with the standard lens?

Yes, I didn't order anything special (I think you can get replacement lenses with longer and shorter focal lengths than the standard one).
ski holidays
rob@rar, nice video. it brought back memories from Feb. I think you even stopped at the same cafe as we did for lunch snowHead
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, glad you enjoyed it. Did you eat in the crepe place in Vallandry?
ski holidays
rob, just about every day - it's right next to where the kids get dropped off after ski school.
latest report
Mosha Marc, they do very nice buckwheat galettes Smile
snow report
So I found Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar, Me & Mrs Frosty are big Paolo Conte fans Very Happy And the Lardies want to know how come you skied past a bar without stopping. A couple of us are comparing notes to give you some tips. Hope you don't mind Toofy Grin
ski holidays
nice vids rob@rar. You look pretty good.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Mrs Frosty clearly has good taste: married to you AND a Paolo Conte fan! Tips gratefully received - I need all the help I can get.

PisteHead, that's kind of you to say, although I have to confess that the wide-angle lens on the helmetcam does tend to exaggerate the speed.
snow conditions
rob@rar, nice steady head on the first one Cool Not too sure about that bloke in the red suit though Confused

JT, I find choice of a suitable subject makes all the difference wink

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/475
snow conditions
That's really good footage, very impressive Cool Cool Cool

I've just started using a helmet camera too and they're great fun, well worth the cost and hassle. I'll have to post some footage now I've seen this stuff. I've got mine attached directly on the side of my helmet with velcro, just above the goggle strap about halfway back. The helmet is fully out of view in the shot. In this position the view ahead looks excellent, but the tips of my skis do not appear in the shot (which I really like in your film) unless I tilt my head downward to the point where I can't see ahead! Maybe it's because I'm quite tall (6ft 1") or my lens is narrower angle than yours. I can of course tilt the camera down, but then the view ahead is not as good. rob@rar, do you happen to know what focal length your camera is?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy