Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megamum proudly presents the Megakids!

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I couldn't decide whether to call them Minimums, Minikids, or Megakids - but due to the fact that I am suffering from a bad dose of parental pride in their skiing achievements I've gone with Megakids.

So here they are - I did threaten these in the past for you Very Happy

There are two videos here

One is just of my daughter's 'straight down the hill' act

http://youtube.com/v/iwI_dFO18zk

The other is two short videos pasted together - daughters slalom race this year and my son coming down the slope.

http://youtube.com/v/Ikrow1Q5Dls

Other things of interest if you decide to watch.
All the shots are on the last afternoon of the week - 17/Feb/07

My daughter is 7yrs old (Dec B-day) she is in the jacket with the yellow sleeves. This year she completed her 2nd week of group lessons and I think might be unstoppable in a few years time - I certainly won't be able to keep up - EVER!

My son is in the grey outfit. He is 4 (B-day in Sept). This year we finally pursuaded him through kindergarten ski school - the notion didn't finally gel properly until the Wednesday. This is about 3pm in the afternoon after a decent cooked lunch inside him - which I think made all the difference to his enthusiasm - in the morning his instructor had nursed him and the two others that made it this far down this slope for the first 3 times - it took her nearly 1.5 hrs to get all three down it these three times - I lost count of how many times they ended up stranded on their backsides.

In the afternoon my Swiss friend took him back on the slope for me - she is the lady in the pale grey jacket that comes down behind him. She was able to go up and catch him off the button lift (though he ended up able to do this himself) and sort him out down the slope which I couldn't have done - she was very keen that he learned to find his own way down which he is doing in these shots.

I am in the red jacket on foot in some of the shots.

Let me know what you think of their progress. Personally I think I'm a lost cause in comparison.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-06-07 23:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Firstly and most important, they are having FUN. Peter is so keen, especially how he didn't stop and went straight back to get on the lift again. They of course will overtake you in skill levels, because they can. They're flexible, fit & no fear. They're doing fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, Thanks so much for taking the time to comment - I am soooo proud of them - I can't believe at how well they've taken to it. Although I'm resigned to not keeping up at least they will be able to go further when they are with Eva and Stefan - they also have two kids a boy aged 7 and a girl aged 5 - I can just see the 4 of them in about 12-14 years time spending the day on the mountains together just having a great time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
Although I'm resigned to not keeping up

Not giving yourself enough credit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, You're very kind - thank you!

Quote:

Megamum wrote:
Although I'm resigned to not keeping up

It won't stop me from trying to though wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, A knowledgeable snowhead informed me, having seen my kids ski that it was essential to have 3x the lessons and 4x the snow time that my kids do if I wanted to maintain partial parity. I would say that applies to you Very Happy

Loved the race video, but who was that annoying competative mum screaming in the background. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

but who was that annoying competative mum screaming in the background.

Can't say I heard her - I was too busy cheering myself wink

The thing is I find that I can't make this Hoo, Hoo, Hoo cheer (like the Swiss make often accompanied by cow bells in the Grand Prix races) in an English accent - it sounds dreadful - the trouble is so does cheering in English and I can't just stand there and do nothing esp. when the other Swiss families were cheering all the kids. What do you other folks do?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, you should indeed be proud of your lovely little megakids skiing!
Great to have these films of them--they will enjoy watching when they are grown-up (and possibly champions!)
My kids started early too-- my son at 6 years old. and my daughter at 9. But unfortunately I don't have any videos of them skiing.
Great stuff-- I can tell you are all addicted! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Excellent, I think its great watching children ski, you must be very proud, mine are 16, 12 and 7 and started last year, wish we'd done it earlier, but they all love it and we will definately keep going, I agree with Frosty the Snowman, our kids will outski us so we have to have lots of 'extras' ( hence my weekend without them)! but they will always beat me!
Was it you that has a non skier hubby? Such a shame if it is, he's missing all that fun they are having. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ps [..so you can learn at any age... Little Angel---
but of course it's the best time when you're a child! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feefee wrote:
[b
Was it you that has a non skier hubby? Such a shame if it is, he's missing all that fun they are having. wink

My partner learnt to ski in the last 3 years of his life -- just to "keep me company"--he took private lessons and loved it! So you can learn at any age... Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
last two posts should be: last before first! ..sorry! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feefee, Yup, I've got the non skiing hubby. He is 10 yrs my senior. He tried when we went to Lenzerheide 10+ yrs ago and after about an hour took the skis back to the shop - not being keen on the motion/notion! Also, a couple of years back he had keyhole surgery on his cartiledge (sp?), and is also about 4 stone overweight. He's not keen on the chair lift though did condescend to try it this year, and will togoggan to a certain extent, but you are right that I will lose his assistance when the kids are ready to go up 'on the mountain'. Hence needing to ski myself. Luckily I can still holiday with Eva and Stefan and they are excellent skiers, but they do also have their two kids to look after. However, if I can 'conquer the mountain-itus' and go with them most places then thay would mean 3 adults to 4 kids which might be doable. As it is DH is quite happy to sit in the sun (when its sunny), drink coffee and read and look after the gear away from the chalet and take lots of videos!! so I make some use of him. He is threatening to try it again, but given the cost of the lessons - I want to make sure he is certain, but even then I doubt his physical fitness to make a go of it. Persoanlly I don't hold out much hope of him joining in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I skied a little bit in my early twenties and started again 10 years later when the kids were around 5. I found that they left me standing by their sub-teens. There was a scary stage when they went like bats of hell and didn't have much of a clue where they were heading. They had to take navigation tests as part of their awards which helped a bit, plus they became naturally more aware as they got older. In the last few years, I've narrowed the gap, to the point where I'm competitive with them in GS races. We now have loads of fun together ripping up the pistes and blasting around off-piste (under expert supervision, where appropriate). I couldn't have done that though without tons of lessons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, What a shame you are not all learning together, maybe he will try again and be successful! Don't have mountain-itis! I was terrified of 'going up'! but actually found it was fine, its the chair lifts I'm terrified of!! Embarassed
ski holidays
feefee, I think he uses the operation knee as a bit of a crutch to give him an excuse not to do it. Mind you if he lost a bit of weight it would be better for his knees!!

B.t.w. I'm very slowly coming to terms with the going up concept - mountain-itis wise I meant the going down bit!! Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Megamum, You'l be fine, just go for it, not half as bad as you think, our first time in Kaprun we had to 'go up' as thats where they took us!! I nearly cried but done as I was told! It was fine, they take you a little bit at a time, slowly, our instructor was excellent I thought she was fabulous getting a complete bunch of beginners down a very long blue on our first day! If you have good instruction its amazing what you can achieve!! Very Happy By the 4th day the others went off down a red!
latest report
Megamum, Good to see theMegakids enjoying themselves. I guess us oldies just have to resign ourselves to the fact that we have learnt to fear the potential pain etc. of falling and they haven't, so they have less inhibitions and just get on with the job of enjoying themsleves more. Confused

With regard to your hubby's reticence to ski: my other half has had an knee cartiledge rebuild and an ACL replacement; the result of a karate injury that went undiagnosed and untreated for several years. This did inhibit her learning progress with skiing as she was fearful of causing further injury. A few falls (especially in deep snow) and careful setting of bindings (lower DIN on the 'fixed' leg) and she has built that confidence in the ability of her knee to cope. The result is that I can now take her down the occasional red run (slowly and only those that I already know to be not a deep red/black in colour), but progress is being made!

Jon.
latest report
Megamum, They are super videos - it's great to see kids skiing at that age and enjoying themselves. My youngest started skiing at 4 (now 9) and she still loves it.

snowHead
ski holidays
Megamum, very nice indeed. My children are now 6 and 9, both started at aged 4, and yours look very relaxed indeed.

This last year was their 3rd and 4th week and saw them move up to red runs and really start looking round the whole hill for their fun - not just the marked stuff, something to look forward to eh?

http://youtube.com/v/zS_YXtiXySQ
snow report
Mosha Marc, Oh yes, great fun being had by all I see.
ski holidays
I can't resist adding to this thread that we've just had our school parents Newsletter come home and Jane-Marie got an honorable mention for passing her Princess grade ski school and coming 4th out of 24 in the end of ski school slalom race. Dear me....have I got a bad case of parental pride...or what?!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy