Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hit on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
jase2472,

I've seen a young girl do that and the ski instructor was racing after here......I saw the innocents she hit but what was behind that....well, that was a worser option, it makes me shudder to think about what might have happened. Of course, accidents happen, its a dangerous sport but we all need to reign it in sometimes. It is bad enough getting injured yourself without someone else doing it for you...and if it is plain idiocy, then, well, I am sure we will see more and more people in court...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
most hits though must be by snow boarders getting of chair lifts and taking out people like 'ten pin bowling' wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops wrote:
most hits though must be by snow boarders getting of chair lifts and taking out people like 'ten pin bowling' wink

I'd bet people who stand just below a snow cannon as well get their fair share of people losing edges and hitting them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops wrote:

But why would anyone want to hang out near the chair unload area?

I always find it baffling why people just stand 2 feet from the chair and chat. I often had to slalom around them to get clear of the chair. I personally prefer to ski UP to some point so I don't have to worry about a snowboarder crashing into me because he/she havne't got enough control with only one foot in the binding.

The speed at chair unloading is usually slow enough that, although the "ball" makes a mess of the "pins", it's unlikelly anyone gets too seriously hurt. Perhaps that's why people never learn (to clear the unload area)?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Novice boarders falling at a difficult offload can cause a pile up behind them. Saw it happen in January at the top of the Trockener Steg chair at Zermatt: the run out must be 20 metres at a "reddish" pitch. Carnage!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, I am not blaming the little kid i was on about the lad who took the girl out by the knees he was d1cking around with his mate and blatantly couldn't control himself, ifelt sorry for the young lad who crashed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Robbof wrote:
DB wrote:
The trick is to get just behind the boarder on the heel edge and then make loads of noise (skid skis sideways etc) - it doesn't half remind them that they have a blind spot. Toofy Grin

What's this "Blind Spot" everyone is banging on about? I board and ski and was not aware of any great hindrance on a board...

Missed this earlier.

I've never boarded so am not sure if this blind spot is applicable to evey boarder or whether certain boarders just don't turn their head round enough when doing a turn on their heels. It's clear that certain boarders (see this thread for example) believe they have a permanent blind spot. When on a cat track trying to get past a slow skier or boarder I make a bit of noise so they know I am there and then shoot past when they have turned away. Trying to just shoot through a gap when they are not aware I am there can cause problems. I don't like waiting behind because all the traffic backs up and numerous people are fighting for space and criss crossing each other.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fortunately, i've never been hit on the slopes. However, after skiing at half term this year, im not sure how i managed without being hit/hitting someone else.

Unfortunately, i was skiing with my cousin (7 years old) down a fairly full red piste. He's not a great skier, but he was doing absolutely fine following me down nice and slowly taking nice wide turns. I admit that taking slow wide turns isnt the best idea on a full piste but it was the safest way to get down, and faster skiers just have to adjust accordingly on full pistes. Anyway, i turned and checked behind me and to my great shock, my cousin was absolutely wiped out by an "advanced" (my back bottom) skier flying down the piste. Now, to be honest, if shed just knocked him over, it wouldnt have been that bad as accidents happen, and all one has to do is apologise, but this woman just carried on skiing without an apology Evil or Very Mad

Obviously, my cousin had no chance in the impact and was basically flattened and the woman just skied on. I couldnt believe my eyes when the woman just glanced behind her and then carried on skiing. Now, my cousin was fine, but he might not have been, and even so it would have been common courtesy to see if he's OK and apologise. I know i would be splurting out desperate apologies if i knocked over a child. Several people skiing next to us stopped and helped us, and we all agreed that this woman was completely wrong. First of all, she was the uphill skier, so she is at fault, she was skiing far too fast on a busy slope full of beginners, and then to make it 100 times worse she just skied off. Lets just say, my cousin learnt about 50 new swear words on that day Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markus, the woman was defo in the wrong. I know sometimes it is hard to avoid, but is taking a 7 year old down a busy red piste such a good idea?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markus, some people just need taking out and shooting, I have to say that if I'd seen what happened to your cousin the lady concerned would not have made it to the bottom of the piste without a little accident Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
loving all this internet tough guy role play, so glad i havnt caused an accident infront of anyone here............ rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
graeme, stick to causing accidents where as few people as possible can see you. Ideally, only the person you hit. That way, at least you'll be safe from any retaliation. After all, causing accidents is so cool.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
graeme, causing an accident is one thing, it happens sometimes even to the best of us, what makes the womans behaviour inexcusable was skiing off without checking on the person she had hit
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cedric, never said causing accidents was cool, but the idea of someone chasing after me if i did, to inflict some sort of summary justice is extremely laughable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf, and you would go into rambo mode to inflict some damage on said accident causer??????? yeah right
snow report
graeme, Nope but a gentle nudge would probably have been enough to topple her, I have actually gone after and caught a young man who I saw knock another skier over and then keep going, fortunately the person they'd hit was ok but it could have been nasty
snow conditions
Quote:

I have actually gone after and caught a young man

and did you perform a citizens arrest??? did you restrain him till the cavalry arrived??
ski holidays
graeme, Nope I pointed out what he'd done (he wasn'y even aware of hitting the person) and asked him to wait until the person he'd hit was shown to be ok
ski holidays
D G Orf, which is actually believable, unlike the bravado about nudging someone to make them fall on purpose, or as you said
Quote:

I have to say that if I'd seen what happened to your cousin the lady concerned would not have made it to the bottom of the piste without a little accident
graeme, it would depend on how angry I was and perhaps how serious the accident appeared to be
snow report
D G Orf, I'm with you on this, there were a few near misses this year with other skiers/boarders & my family. Last year a man crashed into my daughters entire ski school & parents - took a woman off her feet (she was ok). He actually smirked. It was quite shocking & I thought about it for a couple of weeks. I would definitely do the same as you in similar circumstances.
snow conditions
D G Orf, like i said earlier....yeah right
snow conditions
on D G Orf's point... if someone hit me or a mate, my temper would cause me to go and clobber them - so be warned! They'd deserve it though.
snow report
Whenever the pistes are graced with a fresh dump of snow - You won't see any of these so-called reckless skiers/boarders for snowdust!
They'll all be huddled around a smoke-shrouded bar wondering what to do with themselves. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Two occaisions I have stood nose to nose with people who hit or endangered my wife. One backed down and apologised. The other nearly became a fight. Both were left in no doubt of my feelings. Both occasions in Canada, one English, both needed ski/board lessons. I have thought of carrying ski school business cards and handing them out to miscreants, but that would imply a degree of forethought which might almost seem like looking for trouble.
snow report
it was not really due to a crash but my mate did have someone duck under the rope at a chair lift and ski right over his skis to jump the que, so he wacked him across the head with his pole and a fight ensued.
latest report
crazy_skier_jules, and then what if you got clobbered back
stoatsbrother, but you didnt come to blows
rayscoops, so its ok to hit queue jumpers.....nice
i cant believe what i am reading here, grown adults advocating violence for what may be an accident, certainly not premeditated incidents. all of a sudden your the judge jury and executioner....yeeha lets have us a lynching.
surely though if your gonna use violence then your leaving yourselves open to charges of assault, or are yous immune from that kind of thing, as your only assaulting bad folk who cant ski/board/skiboard properly. maybe its allowed as your obviously so much better than all the other idiots on the mountain wink
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Markus. I know sometimes it is hard to avoid, but is taking a 7 year old down a busy red piste such a good idea?

Probably actually. The 7 year old is actually less likely to be worried by a full piste, will learn lots about skiing responsibly and not just bombing it down a full piste, and lets face it, if he's hit, he's much less likely to get injured than anyone else...

Obviously though, it would have been best if the incident had never occurred, but it certainly made me aware of some of the skiers on the slopes, and threads like this are good, as they raise awareness, and may even hopefully cause some people to think about their skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markus, as i have not skied with 7 year olds on the slopes i thought i would ask. I see toddlers speeding down the slopes at times, doing really well but with no ability to change their line or knowledge of slope rules that they should change their line and assume that they must be 7 ish, but probably they are much younger.
ski holidays
graeme,

So what would you do if a 7 year old friend or family member was hit by another skier/snowboarder who didn't stop?
ski holidays
graeme wrote:
Cedric, never said causing accidents was cool, but the idea of someone chasing after me if i did, to inflict some sort of summary justice is extremely laughable.

Try wiping out my kids & skiing on then Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
Whenever the pistes are graced with a fresh dump of snow - You won't see any of these so-called reckless skiers/boarders for snowdust!
They'll all be huddled around a smoke-shrouded bar wondering what to do with themselves. Crying or Very sad

How very true Confused Sad
ski holidays
rayscoops, My 10 year old (who has skied since she can walk) is quite often invisible to other skier's on piste but on the more difficult blacks seems to slow other skiers down as they need to stop to watch her progress Toofy Grin
Meanwhile the 14 year old is standing at the bottom pretending that she is not really waiting for the slow old Dad lagging behind them both. Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Meanwhile the 14 year old is standing at the bottom pretending that she is not really waiting for the slow old Dad lagging behind them both. Laughing

That sounds familiar Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:

As somebody soon to be a complete novice boarder, but who is a reasonable skier, I can sympathise with this, but I have to say people do stop in really daft places, just off the lifts. It must be possible to anticipate a boarder, even quite a good boarder, can occasionally slip up on the exit of a lift. Yet people on skis just stand there like skittles at the end of the bowling alley.

If I'm on a lift with a boarder, I try to give the boarder plenty of room, as I know the dismount is harder for them (we ski with a friend who boards). If it's a four-man chair and there are only two of us, then I sit as far away as possible, so they have a chance to rotate the board round to heel or toe edge and make a controlled dismount. A good boarder doesn't need this, but many do. Sometimes they even thank me!

There also seem to be a lot of skiers for whom a snowplough appears to be beneath them and feel they have to rotate and turn. Why? A snowplough is a very good technique for making a controlled dismount from a lift. Indeed, I sometimes use the area below a lift to practise my snowplough turns and remember how to do them properly - sometimes they are a useful method of controlling descent in a narrow path, even if you can do other, more flashy types of turn!

In some resorts there do seem to be what appear to be locals (e.g. wearing local ski club garb) who take pleasure in buzzing beginners and making them fall over. This happened to me in Alpe d'Huez when attempting my first red. I was very nervous, and they buzzed me, laughing, and then waited for me and did it repeatedly, until Mr Docsquid realised what was going on. I really don't know what to do about those kind of people, as I suspect complaining would not get a sympathetic response, as they are locals, after all.
snow report
docsquid wrote:
In some resorts there do seem to be what appear to be locals (e.g. wearing local ski club garb) who take pleasure in buzzing beginners and making them fall over. This happened to me in Alpe d'Huez when attempting my first red. I was very nervous, and they buzzed me, laughing, and then waited for me and did it repeatedly, until Mr Docsquid realised what was going on. I really don't know what to do about those kind of people, as I suspect complaining would not get a sympathetic response, as they are locals, after all.

If it happens again you could consider taking a picture of them and then complain at the information/tourist office. On the otherhand I'm sure that if a learner skier who was being repeatedly buzzled happened to lose balance and swing out a pole could not be made responsible for any injuries.
latest report
Quote:

I suspect complaining would not get a sympathetic response

I thibk it wouls, especially if the culprits were kids - French parents/schools are quite hot on politeness.
ski holidays
I've only ever been hit or hit people I've been boarding/skiing with, either due to our mutual incompetence, slightly misjudging stopping distances or through the inevitable convergence of turns law. None have been anything but laugh offable

On full narrow pistes/cat tracks these can be tricky on a board as slowing down requires a little bit of side slipping for which there may not be room and can't easily be telegraphed. Also if the slope pitch varies a boarder can easily gain and lose speed. I have been slowly overtaken on slow bits by skiers only to have them cut in front of me just as I was picking up speed. My weight and the size of my board means I pick up speed very quickly. In those instances when I have been cut up the skier would assume I guess that my pace is constant or my acceleration matches his.

I have just had a week's skiing lessons for the first time and, most interestingly, skiing etiquette was not considered or even mentioned. I started in the beginners group with people who have never been on the mountain before. There was no mention of stopping at the side of the piste (when i did I was generally left by myself as the others including the instructor stopped in the middle), stopping away from chair lift exits/entrances, not using the entire piste and my biggest pet hate not looking up the mountain before setting off.
snow report
DB, well from what is being said here, i suppose i would rip off there head and poo-poo down there neck
wink
ski holidays
In terms of rudeness how does this sound:

The five of us (Mrs Axs, Myself, three teenage Axsettes) are making our way up the lift queue for a six pack at Les Arcs. You know how the lines gradually merge from about 10 wide down to the final 6, and as this happens a french 'lady' doesn't like the fact that Axette #2 refuses to let her push ahead and replace her on 'our' lift. Incidentally the woman's husband and youngish child had already dropped back to the next 'row'. Anway, said upset French madam, first grabs Axette #2's ski pole, and tries to pull her back this fails, she then tries to open Axette #2's boot bindings by 'stabbing' them with her own pole Shocked All this just seconds before we mount the lift. Shocked

Fortunately she fails to open Axette #2s binding so we all get on the lift succesfully.

What would you have done to the woman when you reached the top?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy